• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

quick in our terms??

Active
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” -Hebrews 4:12

what does it mean - the word of God is quick?

Loyal
quick·enedquick·en·ing \ˈkwi-kə-niŋ, ˈkwik-niŋ\
transitive verb
1 a :to make alive :revive
b :to cause to be enlivened :stimulate
2 archaic
a :kindle
b :to cause to burn more intensely

Active
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” -Hebrews 4:12

Quick means "alive" or "living".

Loyal
It (the word of God) is quick to cut through ANYTHING, and its a two edged sword cutting both the wielder and the target. It cuts to the soul and beyond. Their is no defense against it and no matter how fast the enemy throws attacks, the word is always faster. The full armor of God is needed, but for offense, its mostly the swiftest and deadliest sword.

Active

RJ

• God's word is alive, it is a living thing. The living word of God.
Psalm 33:9 For He spoke, and it was done

• God's might and destructive force is accomplished simply by his spoken word.
2 Thessalonians 2:8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will overthrow with the breath of his mouth

Loyal
For example, in order to further clarify:

"For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will." John 5:21 [King James Version]

"For as the Father raises the dead and gives life to them, even so the Son gives life to whom He will." John 5:21 [Modern King James Version]

Loyal

So there are two meanings for Quick....One is the common one...quick = fast.....Then as Ophel said Quick= alive......Look at this verse from two different versions...

2 Timothy 4:1 (KJV)
4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Timothy 4:1 (CJB)
4 I solemnly charge you before God and the Messiah Yeshua, who will judge the living and the dead when he appears and establishes his Kingdom:

Active

RJ

So there are two meanings for Quick....One is the common one...quick = fast.....Then as Ophel said Quick= alive......Look at this verse from two different versions...

2 Timothy 4:1 (KJV)
4 I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;

2 Timothy 4:1 (CJB)
4 I solemnly charge you before God and the Messiah Yeshua, who will judge the living and the dead when he appears and establishes his Kingdom:
What does this have to do with the original question:

Active
grace, our family all have perspectives/views/interpretations and these are all valid. each member is beautiful and God embraces them...but you are right, i am looking at the bigger picture, not the word "quick"

brad is on to it...in a nutshell...the Word is final/the final word, decisive, end of story :)

Loyal
grace, our family all have perspectives/views/interpretations and these are all valid. each member is beautiful and God embraces them...but you are right, i am looking at the bigger picture, not the word "quick"

brad is on to it...in a nutshell...the Word is final/the final word, decisive, end of story :)

The bigger picture is of course that the Word of God is alive. Dead things cannot save anyone and cannot even help anyone.

"For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten." Ecc 9:4-5

Loyal
What does this have to do with the original question:
Um....Really? Look at the two versions...One uses the word 'quick' and the other uses a more modern word? Ahhh...Now you see it! So what does it have to do with the original question? You answer

Active

RJ

Um....Really? Look at the two versions...One uses the word 'quick' and the other uses a more modern word? Ahhh...Now you see it! So what does it have to do with the original question? You answer
OK. All I am saying is that your verses where about people, quick vs. dead.....In the end, Jesus will judge the living and the dead.
I see this different from the original question about what does it mean that the word of God is quick, your answer, though very true, has nothing to do with the meaning of the word of God.
  • Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is alive ( quick) and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.
  • God's word is living, He spoke everything into existence and he will speak it out when time comes.
That's all, just wondering. Thought maybe I had read the opening post on the Thread wrong. Have a blessed day!

Active
Bendito bro be easy on rj -our family all have perspectives/views/interpretations and these are all valid. each member is beautiful and God embraces them...but you are right, i am looking at the bigger picture, not the word "quick" but the meaning of the word of God.

Loyal
Bendito bro be easy on rj -our family all have perspectives/views/interpretations and these are all valid. each member is beautiful and God embraces them...but you are right, i am looking at the bigger picture, not the word "quick" but the meaning of the word of God.
LOL Of course RJ is a special person to me.....Ya just gotta love him

Administrator
Staff Member
I like using the free online bible study tools at biblegateway.com for such studies.

Note there's a difference in translation in NLT for example that doesn't use the word quick, but alive

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow. Though some find support here for the view that a human being is basically a trichotomy consisting of body, soul, and spirit, the context is against it. It stresses the power of God’s word to enter the deepest recesses of a person’s being, and not a sort of division into constituent parts. Also, if the idea of division were intended, we would expect the author to say “bone and marrow” instead of “joints and of marrow.”

Matthew Henry's Commentary

From the great help and advantage we may have from the word of God to strengthen our faith, and excite our diligence, that we may obtain this rest: The word of God is quick and powerful, Heb. 4:12. By the word of God we may understand either the essential or the written word: the essential Word, that in the beginning was with God, and was God (John 1:1), the Lord Jesus Christ, and indeed what is said in this verse is true concerning him; but most understand it of the written word, the holy scriptures, which are the word of God. Now of this word it is said,

(1.) That is quick; it is very lively and active, in all its efforts, in seizing the conscience of the sinner, in cutting him to the heart, and in comforting him and binding up the wounds of the soul. Those know not the word of God who call it a dead letter; it is quick, compared to the light, and nothing quicker than the light; it is not only quick, but quickening; it is a vital light; it is a living word, zon. Saints die, and sinners die; but the word of God lives.

(2.) It is powerful. When God sets it home by his Spirit, it convinces powerfully, converts powerfully, and comforts powerfully. It is so powerful as to pull down strong holds (2 Cor. 10:4, 5), to raise the dead, to make the deaf to hear, the blind to see, the dumb to speak, and the lame to walk. It is powerful to batter down Satan’s kingdom, and to set up the kingdom of Christ upon the ruins thereof.

(3.) It is sharper than any two-edged sword; it cuts both ways; it is the sword of the Spirit, Eph. 6:17. It is the two-edged sword that cometh out of the mouth of Christ, Rev. 1:16. It is sharper than any two-edged sword, for it will enter where no other sword can, and make a more critical dissection: it pierces to the dividing asunder of the soul and the spirit, the soul and its habitual prevailing temper; it makes a soul that has been a long time of a proud spirit to be humble, of a perverse spirit to be meek and obedient. Those sinful habits that have become as it were natural to the soul, and rooted deeply in it, and become in a manner one with it, are separated and cut off by this sword. It cuts off ignorance from the understanding, rebellion from the will, and enmity from the mind, which, when carnal, is enmity itself against God. This sword divides between the joints and the marrow, the most secret, close, and intimate parts of the body; this sword can cut off the lusts of the flesh as well as the lusts of the mind, and make men willing to undergo the sharpest operation for the mortifying of sin.

(4.) It is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart, even the most secret and remote thoughts and designs. It will discover to men the variety of their thoughts and purposes, the vileness of them, the bad principles they are actuated by, the sinister and sinful ends they act to. The word will turn the inside of a sinner out, and let him see all that is in his heart. Now such a word as this must needs be a great help to our faith and obedience.

Active

RJ

LOL Of course RJ is a special person to me.....Ya just gotta love him
Wow...Special Person! Aw....I am sure everyone is special to you according to the riches you are laying up in heeaven!

Active
ophel, what does this mean actually?

Ahhh! To me it means that God's word is not inert, but when we read it, we take it in as living food, and it has the power to influence us and to convict us, convince us, and to literally change us and heal us! The supernatural power of God is in every word, on every page, in every book, and enables the written words on the page to leap out at us as God's personal revelation to each one of us.