• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Question

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

I was talking to my friend and he asked do you think when Jesus sacrificed himself did he take away the sin of all or did he just do it for the believer, I said he took away the sins of the WORLD so I think he took away the sins of the believer and the unbeliever. he said he thinks he only took away the believers sins. what do you think?????

Active
when Jesus sacrificed himself did he take away the sin of all or did he just do it for the believer,
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.
John 1:29
And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.
1John 2:2
And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Christ, the Saviour of the world.
John 4:2

Active
I was talking to my friend and he asked do you think when Jesus sacrificed himself did he take away the sin of all or did he just do it for the believer, I said he took away the sins of the WORLD so I think he took away the sins of the believer and the unbeliever. he said he thinks he only took away the believers sins. what do you think?????
Nice avatar, looks like I have a twin.

Active
For us to understand what Jesus did, we first need to understand the problem of sin.

Sin is referenced as a debt. Remember the Lord's prayer, Matthew 6:12, "And
forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors." Some say "sins" instead of debt,
but the point is clear either way. Sin puts us in spiritual debt.

Jesus came to cancel our debt of sin, because the wage of sin as is death and we are unable
to pay that. This is why Jesus calls those who recognize that they are spiritually bankrupt blessed.
He said, "Blessed are the poor in spirit for their's is the Kingdom of Heaven". It is only by realizing
that you are broke spiritually that you will be able to seek Jesus to pay off your debt.

Now when we stand before God in judgement, those who have trusted Jesus as their savior
will have allowed him to cancel their debt of sin and God no longer has to judge them for sin, for
they have accepted the payment that Jesus made for them.

Now Jesus died for everyone, meaning His death was actually an overpayment on sin.
The value of His innocent blood pays for the whole of the worlds sin and more. The problem
is that it is a gift. The debt has been paid for everyone but many do not believe (we are saved by faith)
that Jesus has done this for them, so they don't accept His gift. So when they stand in judgement,
even though their sin debt was paid, they never accepted it in faith so it could be credited to their account.

Its almost like Jesus sends everyone in the world a money transfer to pay of the debt in their bank account
of salvation. Accepting Jesus as saviour is like accepting the funds transfer so the spiritual capitial can be deposited
to our account to pay our debt. Those who don't accept him, in a sense have a pending transaction to their
account to pay of their debt. The funds are send to them from Jesus but they never click the "accept funds" button to accept the funds transfer. So that debt that has already been
paid(through His death on the cross), is never credited to their account because it is a gift and must be accepted. And since now(in this world) is the time to accept Jesus. When they die
and stand before God, it will be too late to say, "I'll accept him now".

Active

RJ

Not only did he die for the sins of everyone but all those before him and after him until the end of the world!

Active
Imagine (or not) the pain that our blessed saviour went through for us.

I assume all would agree that if the first sin was the only sin, the payment of the blood of Christ would still be required.

So for the 7 billion people living today, if each people lives to be an average of 50 years and sins once a day.

That would be 365(days a year) X 50(years) X billion(people in the world) = 127,750,000,000,000.
127 Trillion, 750 billion deaths that he had to die for sin(or debts of sin paid off).

And this is a very very low estimate as it doesn't take into consideration all people that have ever lived and that the average person sins more than once a day.
I'm guessing he only had to die once since the value of His blood is just that powerful to wash away all those sins.

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!

Active
I agree with you. I believe he did all for all,the only difference is that the believer believes it and the unbeliever does not believe it or does not see a need to.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.

Loyal
1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ all will be made alive.
Yes... and that's an important distinction. Those "in Christ" will all be...

Yes Jesus died for the sins of the whole world. Not just the Jews, but everyone. ( 1 Jn 2:2; )
This does away with the notion that God picked some to be saved, and others not to be saved.
Jesus died for everyone.

However, not everyone will be saved. Only those who (as you pointed out) are in Christ.
Which does away with Universalism, (the idea that everyone is saved).

It seems much of the discussions here lately revolve around what it means to be "in" Christ.

Active

RJ

This does away with the notion that God picked some to be saved, and others not to be saved.
Jesus died for everyone.
Dying for the forgiveness of everyone is totally different than salvation for everyone.
His death can pay for the penalty of spiritual death for everyone but, not everyone chooses Jesus and is saved!
Romans 8:29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.
Ephesians 1:4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love
Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations.”
2 Timothy 1:9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,
Revelation 12:8 and all who dwell on earth will worship it, everyone whose name has not been written before the foundation of the world in the book of life of the Lamb who was slain.

Active
However, not everyone will be saved. Only those who (as you pointed out) are in Christ.
That does not follow the pattern set by "as in Adam".
The term "as in Adam" means we did not have a choice ( I don't remember one).
Most translations do not say "those in Christ",they say "in Christ".
It does not make any sense to compare something that requires a choice when the pattern is after Adam in which there was no choice..
Those in Adam did not have a choice.If all were in Adam now all are in Christ.

A believer believes Jesus,not human logic and not the old testament.

Did you choose to be in Adam?

Loyal
Those in Adam did not have a choice.If all were in Adam now all are in Christ.
A believer believes Jesus,not human logic and not the old testament.

Did you choose to be in Adam?
I choose to be in Adam every time I sin. So do you.
Do you have a scripture that says everyone is in Christ?

Active
I choose to be in Adam every time I sin. So do you.
Do you have a scripture that says everyone is in Christ?
Do you choose to sin?
Do you choose to be in Christ?

Did you choose to be born in sin?
As far as I remember I did not choose to be born.
It seems to me that the option to choose another birth creates a whole new birth by choice.
How could I have that option if I was not already included in Christ?
The only option it seems to me is whether I want to enjoy that option now.
But I would have to know and understand the option before it might seem worth switching.