• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Quarrels amongst Christians

Hi.

I don't know if any of you feel the same way, but it saddens me deep within my spirit to see or hear Christians quarrel amongst themselves, over the word of God. We have the same Spirit dwelling in us that raised Jesus from the dead, and yet born again Christians interpret the Bible differently. How can that be?

I pray constantly for wisdom, knowledge and understanding of God's word, and it grieves me that people can rip it to pieces. Could it be that they are listening too closely to man's interpretation of the word, ie: pastor, authors, friends? And not relying on the Holy Spirit to give them understanding?

Sometimes knowledge can be dangerous when it isn't balanced by love and grace. Such knowledge results in ignorance, which leads to an intolerant spirit, an exclusive mindset. We are to believe that God is the giver of knowledge and be humble at all times with the knowledge He has given us.

The moment we become proud full or conceited we are to take it to the Lord. It is my prayer that I never become either, and remain humble before the Lord for the knowledge and understanding He has given me, that I may speak of the hope which is in Him, and use what I have for encouraging and edifying.

MuchLoved
J

Last edited:
Hi Muchloved,

It's just one of those things it happens, people are at different stages of growth in their spiritual lives.

The trick is, to walk in the light as He is in the light and we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness.
If we don't have fellowship with one another the above verse tells us we are walking in darkness.

Sometimes you have to be salt and light to other Christians, not just the world.
There is nothing more convicting than seeing someone who is enjoying their fellowship with the Lord Jesus and just generally having a great time being a Christian.

I'd just encourage you to keep on keeping on, and don't feel to bad about the ones who argue and are prideful.
One thing about babies is they always make a mess, its as true spiritually as it is naturally.

Blessings,
Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you for the encouraging words. The Christians I am talking about are not new in their faith, but seasoned Christians. I have seen where the Word has become head knowledge and not heart knowledge to them.

MuchLoved:love:
J

I think that quarreling within the church often has the same origin as quarreling in the world; self-righteous people promoting or defending a belief that they cannot support with sound reasoning and established facts.

The argument seems to progress in this fashion: If you can't convince 'em, confuse 'em, and if you can't confuse 'em, insult 'em, and, if that doesn't work, fly into a rage!

SLE

Ed,
Your right. The reason it is that way is because "Christians" to a great degree are nothing more than people of the world who think they have masterd another segment of their lives.
There simply are no (or at least not many ) true "Damascus Road" conversions to Christ any more.

If there were there would be a lot less of the old nature present in the churches today.

Has any one ever wondred why Christ Jesus left us each with the councel of the Holy Spirit if it's only purpose was to tell us all the very same thing???And if that is the case why isn't it working?????
That is what theology and therefore Christianity is teaching that we must agree on exactly what the word says to us. That ,brothers and sisters, is why "I believe"there is so much argument in the church.

Last edited:
Ed,
Has any one ever wondred why Christ Jesus left us each with the councel of the Holy Spirit if it's only purpose was to tell us all the very same thing???And if that is the case why isn't it working?????
That is what theology and therefore Christianity is teaching that we must agree on exactly what the word says to us. That ,brothers and sisters, is why "I believe"there is so much argument in the church.

Very interesting Cliff, that you would say this. Could this mean then that most Christians don't have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them? And that is when the word becomes head knowledge, almost like the Pharisees.

The Holy Spirit is our Councellor, He leads us into ALL truth, and an understanding of God's word. He gives us wisdom and knowledge.

J

I am so pleased that Jesus has the authority in the affairs of men......and yes, in His church also. All power, yes all power, is given unto Him in heaven and in the earth. We can take comfort in that fact.

"We are following the Master, we are following the Lord, we are keeping close to Jesus and we are trusting in His word".

We see much in the fellowship of the Church, which breaks the heart.

But "To be like Jesus, to be like Jesus, all I ask to be like Him. All through life's journey from earth to glory, all I ask to be like Him".

Very interesting Cliff, that you would say this. Could this mean then that most Christians don't have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them? And that is when the word becomes head knowledge, almost like the Pharisees.

The Holy Spirit is our Councellor, He leads us into ALL truth, and an understanding of God's word. He gives us wisdom and knowledge.

J

I'm not speculating on the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. It is sufficient to say ,however, that in christianity as a whole the working of the Holy Spirit in the councel and life of the individual is not evident. There could be many reasons for this including the lack of the presence of the Holy Spirit in "The Church" and or the individual.

What is evident is the division, strife and hinderance to faith caused by doctrines that promice and/or require something that is not biblical. Unconditional acceptance and adherance to universal doctrines and practices as a means to assured salvation.
And yes this is very much like the Pharicees.

Take for instance the phrase "He leads us into ALL truth"
So commonly spoken as to be almost a montra in todays Christian culture.
What does it realy mean???

Is it true??? If it is there certianly is no evidence to support it.

To say that He leads me in all truth and to say that He leads you in all truth must indicate that we both knowing all truth have nothing to disagree about. Therefore, if we do disagree the obvious conclusion must be that one or possibly both of us have not received what we claim as all truth from Him.
However if we take the councel of the Holy Spirit over the reasoning and doctrines of man what we find is that we each have the truth God wills that we have for our benifit and His purpose at that given time in that given situation. This is not the aclaimed "ALL truth" and may differ in some ways to what another has been given by God at a given time. Not that they are opposed, but differant. God doesn 't arbitrarily pit one brother against another brother but He often does send us individualy in different directions with differant callings and experiences and therefore differant perspectives and knowledge of differant truths.
Christianity "The church "as a whole doesn't accept or teach this. Why????
The problem for the churches is it often makes void the long standing doctrines, assumed authority and necessity of it's leadership and congregation influence on the indidividual.

Take for instance the evangelicals call to everyone to the "Great Commission". The prominance of the "social gospel" and tolorance of those who openly opppose the word of God.The acceptance of lifestyles that to God are an abomination. Legalism, judmentalism, the "properity gospel", bible idolitry. All these are found in the churches but none commanded or justified in scripture.
All of these are the fruit of mans wrongly assumed authorty to speak for God.
And the most disturbing (for me ) is the contention by many churches that if one responds to the Holy Spirit's calling to them directly that they are "leaning unto their own understanding" and contrary to God. This is the defence of the church and judgement against those who dare question the church or step out in accordance with Holy Spirit guidence and councel.

sincerely his
Cliff

Last edited:
Administrator
Staff Member

J

In the crazy world we live in, most believers (or so it seems) are not quite "in line" with the Holy Spirit. This is obviously the cause of many factors;

- immaturity in faith
- pride, arrogance
- "too busy" schedule

It is truly sad that quarreling among believers does happen. It is obviously caused mainly by pride as we all know. What does Proverbs tell us about pride?

Proverbs 13:9-11

9 The light of the righteous rejoices,
But the lamp of the wicked will be put out.
10 By pride comes nothing but strife,
But with the well-advised is wisdom.
11 Wealth gained by dishonesty will be diminished,
But he who gathers by labor will increase.

Pride is indeed a major problem. Yesterday (Mother's Day), my brother disrupted the wonderful family gathering, for no other reason than pride. I quickly informed him that I am not his enemy, his enemy is Satan. He shrugged and walked away, unwilling to listen to reason from anyone. Not exactly the way to honor our mother on her special day.

Administrator
Staff Member
Pride is indeed a major problem. Yesterday (Mother's Day), my brother disrupted the wonderful family gathering, for no other reason than pride. I quickly informed him that I am not his enemy, his enemy is Satan. He shrugged and walked away, unwilling to listen to reason from anyone. Not exactly the way to honor our mother on her special day.

You said the right thing sister. Pray for him without ceasing. Always try to look at people the way GOD sees them: in love and in GOD's view, He knows the purpose and plans of each individual. To be ungodly is not of Him, yet GOD knows the kind of person each individual should be.

Most of the time it could also be pride, which is a very dangerous place to be as a Christian.

In 2 Timothy 2:23-25 "But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife. And a servant of the Lord must NOT quarrel but be gentle to all, able to teach, patient, in humility correcting those who are in opposition, if God perhaps grant them repentance, so that they may know the truth"

Eph4:29 is another example we are to live by.

J

Those who like to quarrel beware.

This was written by Patricia King of Extreme prophectic.

Over the last few years, we have seen an increasing number of believers attacked with cancer. This year, one of our team has been fighting a ferocious battle with this very disease. As I was praying for her, the Lord gave me this clear prophetic insight:

Most of the time, when cancer is detected, it is found within the natural body. It begins to assault healthy cells and organs from within. If not stopped, it spreads into other areas of the body and eventually, if unchecked, will bring death to the whole body. There is a parallel between the natural and the spiritual. The Lord revealed that the increase of physical cancer is a sign of a growing destructive spiritual cancer in the Body of Christ.

A dictionary definition of cancer is; any malignant growth or tumor caused by abnormal and uncontrolled cell division.

The key word that the Lord highlighted for me here was division.

He then led me to meditate on 1 Corinthians 11 and revealed some key phrases and thoughts in that chapter.

1. The passage regarding the communion is in the context of division, betrayal, and not rightly discerning the Body.

a. Verse 18 "...as a church, I hear that divisions exist among you..."
b. Verse 23 "... in the night that He was betrayed..."
c. Verse 29 "For he who eats and drinks, eats and drinks judgment to himself if he does not rightly discern the body".

Note: When we do not appreciate or honor each member, then we don't rightly discern. And, when we judge each other critically, we are not rightly discerning the Body. In the earthly ministry of Jesus Christ, although, He was the Christ, many did not discern Him. They were blinded. As a result of not rightly discerning Him, they judged Him and eventually crucified Him.

2. The consequence of divisions, betrayal and not rightly discerning the body is found in verse 30 "For this reason many among you are weak, sick and dying." One of the reasons why the Body of Christ is infected with unhealed diseases could possibly be that we have not rightly discerned each other and walked in division and betrayal. Healthy cells are being devoured by unhealthy cells.

3. If we partake of the body and blood in an unworthy manner (being divisive, walking in betrayal or not rightly discerning each other), then the scripture says we are guilty of the body and blood of the Lord. (Verse 27-30)

Another insight about cancer:
"Although there are many kinds of cancer, they all start because of out-of-control growth of abnormal cells".

In using a spiritual parallel, what is normal cell activity in the Body of Christ?
Galatians 5:22-23 says that the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

A person rooted in Christ and walking in the Spirit will manifest these attributes.

What then is abnormal cell activity in the Body of Christ?
It would probably include the opposite of the above, but Galatians 5:19-21 lists the deeds of the flesh and we are taught in scripture that the carnal flesh is at enmity against the Spirit of God.

Some of the deeds of the flesh included in Galatians are: enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying.... along with drunkenness, immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery and things like this.

A person walking in the flesh will manifest these types of attributes.

If these "abnormal cells (attributes)" grow out of control, then it is cancerous to the Body and could bring death to the Lord's purpose for our generation if not arrested.

Often, cancer cells travel to other parts of the body where they begin to grow and replace normal tissue.
Cancer must be caught early in order to preserve the Body. If abnormal cells include the opposite to the fruit of spirit as well as divisions, factions, jealousy, strife, dissensions, etc. then let's watch over our hearts to make sure we do not become an out-of-control, abnormal cell, that multiplies and spreads discord and division into the healthy cells in the Body.

A Prophetic Warning
Beware, lest a spiritual cancer bring death to the entire Body. When we judge, criticize, spread discord, and promote division, we are opening the doors for destruction. "But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5:15

Love must be our greatest aim (1 Corinthians 14:1 LB). The Lord is ready to release increased manifestation of His power through His church. It will be the greatest display of Kingdom manifestation we have ever seen...BUT, this plan can be thwarted if we do not love. Many people will be healed of incurable diseases, resurrections will increase, and those who feel weak will be strengthened when we repent from sins that wound others. May we embrace with sincerity the prayer of Jabez, "...that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!" 1 Chronicles 4:10 NKJV

Jesus said to Jerusalem that their house would be left desolate until they said, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord." (Matthew 23:38, 39). Even though the Lord's plan for us is for blessing and fruitfulness, it can be thwarted if we do not make right choices.

We must walk carefully in this hour. Let's put away critical attitudes, slander, back-biting, evil reports, and judgments. Let's walk in love. May love truly be our greatest aim.

Blessings,
Tony

I think that Paul separates the differences that the Corinthian church was experiencing from problems related to their common behavioral weaknesses rooted in their pagan past.

Being immature babes in Christ, their gatherings for The Lord's Supper would start out on a spiritual plane, but, the old sin nature would be bubbling just below the surface and the gatherings wound up as drunken parties. They didn't have their spiritual house built on rock as yet.

SLE

Last edited: