• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Purpose Delayed

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." John 21:15 ESV

Simon Peter was perhaps the most impulsive disciple. Knee-jerk reactions were common. Acting before he thought? A first response. Peter promised more than he could deliver, said he was more faithful than was possible, and pledged to never leave. He failed.

Maybe you identify with Peter. Maybe you’re tired of making promises you can’t keep.

There’s good news. Jesus didn’t give up on Peter. He won’t give up on you. After Peter’s laundry list of failures, Jesus wanted to know if Peter (Simon) loved Him more than the things that distracted him. When Peter affirmed his love, Jesus gave him a glimpse of his future, saying, “Feed my sheep” (John 21:17 ESV).

Peter was a sinner, faithless when difficulty came, denied Jesus, and yet was the man God used to build His church (Matthew 16:18).

The sum total of your sin means two things will happen. First, God will need to deal with your sin. Second, He still has purpose for your life.

Without dealing with your sin, you delay the discovery of purpose.

Don’t dismiss your sin as unimportant. It’s hard to move to new life when you refuse to turn your back on the old life, on the life that’s always left you with regrets.

Prayer: Dear God, help me understand the impact of my sin. Help me turn away, follow You, discover purpose and celebrate the gift of new life.

Active
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." John 21:15 ESV

Simon Peter was perhaps the most impulsive disciple. Knee-jerk reactions were common. Acting before he thought? A first response. Peter promised more than he could deliver, said he was more faithful than was possible, and pledged to never leave. He failed.

Maybe you identify with Peter. Maybe you’re tired of making promises you can’t keep.

There’s good news. Jesus didn’t give up on Peter. He won’t give up on you. After Peter’s laundry list of failures, Jesus wanted to know if Peter (Simon) loved Him more than the things that distracted him. When Peter affirmed his love, Jesus gave him a glimpse of his future, saying, “Feed my sheep” (John 21:17 ESV).

Peter was a sinner, faithless when difficulty came, denied Jesus, and yet was the man God used to build His church (Matthew 16:18).

The sum total of your sin means two things will happen. First, God will need to deal with your sin. Second, He still has purpose for your life.

Without dealing with your sin, you delay the discovery of purpose.

Don’t dismiss your sin as unimportant. It’s hard to move to new life when you refuse to turn your back on the old life, on the life that’s always left you with regrets.

Prayer: Dear God, help me understand the impact of my sin. Help me turn away, follow You, discover purpose and celebrate the gift of new life.
oh so good i Amen in jesus name
i need this word i hide under an imaginary rock sometimes which is sooo pointless before God so thankyou is blessed more and more very needed x