• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Protected in God's Presence

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal

Psalm 91:1-16

Key Verse: He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalm 91:1)

We come to the verse and passage that I have chosen to identify as the overarching theme of these devotional reflections. The primary issue throughout the Psalms is a relationship with God in which we are constantly abiding in His presence and acknowledging His providence. The result is assurance of His provision. When we are constantly aware of being "in Him," we find ourselves overshadowed by His almighty power, controlling our destiny, avenging our enemies, and making every provision for our protection and blessing. That assurance comes from affirming our faith and reliance on God, abiding in Him, and confessing, as in verse 2, "[He is] my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust!"

There is a popular cliché that says "The safest place is in the center of God's will." However, we need to examine that perception. Was Paul not in the center of God's will when he was stoned, beaten, and imprisoned? Do missionaries suffer and Christian martyrs around the world shed their blood because they are out of God's will? Does God separate us like the tares and wheat, putting a hedge of protection around those who are obedient while leaving others to be subjected to a fallen and sinful world? No one is exempt from suffering; in fact, we are told that suffering is a part of our calling. 1 Peter 2:21 says, "For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps." The problem is our thinking of safety in worldly terms of comfort and the absence of suffering rather than in terms of our spiritual security in Christ.

When we are "in Him," we are over-shadowed by His power; His presence makes every provision for our protection and blessing.

God will protect us and deliver us, but it may not mean the absence of pain and affliction in this life. He is not only our shield but a bulwark that fortifies our security; however, that security may be spiritual. Recently four missionaries were killed in Iraq. Was this a contradiction to God's promise of protection from "the arrow that flies by day," or "the pestilence that stalks in darkness," or "the destruction that lays waste at noon" (verses 5-6)? Not at all! Those who were slain were secure under the shadow of the Almighty. He was their refuge and dwelling place, and that was not taken from them. Though their life on earth was cut short from a human perspective, they lost nothing. The evil one could not touch them as God was faithful to "bear [them] up" (verse 12). God delivers us from fear! Abiding in Him liberates us from the fear and threats of what might happen to us.

God responds to this abiding relationship with a beautiful expression of assurance in the closing verses.
He will deliver us because we love Him.
He sets us securely on high because we know His name.
He answers us because we call on Him.
He is with us in trouble, will rescue us, honor us, satisfy us with a long life, and
allow us to know and experience His salvation because of an abiding, intimate relationship with Him.

Prayer: Lord, may my only desire be to dwell in Your presence and abide under the shadow of Your protection. Help me not to look for security in worldly terms of personal comforts and safety, but recognize You are my security and my refuge; I shall not fear. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen

In the Secret Place: A Pilgrimage through the Psalms.

Active

Psalm 91:1-16

Key Verse:
He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalm 91:1)

We come to the verse and passage that I have chosen to identify as the overarching theme of these devotional reflections. The primary issue throughout the Psalms is a relationship with God in which we are constantly abiding in His presence and acknowledging His providence. The result is assurance of His provision. When we are constantly aware of being "in Him," we find ourselves overshadowed by His almighty power, controlling our destiny, avenging our enemies, and making every provision for our protection and blessing. That assurance comes from affirming our faith and reliance on God, abiding in Him, and confessing, as in verse 2, "[He is] my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust!"

There is a popular cliché that says "The safest place is in the center of God's will." However, we need to examine that perception. Was Paul not in the center of God's will when he was stoned, beaten, and imprisoned? Do missionaries suffer and Christian martyrs around the world shed their blood because they are out of God's will? Does God separate us like the tares and wheat, putting a hedge of protection around those who are obedient while leaving others to be subjected to a fallen and sinful world? No one is exempt from suffering; in fact, we are told that suffering is a part of our calling. 1 Peter 2:21 says, "For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps." The problem is our thinking of safety in worldly terms of comfort and the absence of suffering rather than in terms of our spiritual security in Christ.

When we are "in Him," we are over-shadowed by His power; His presence makes every provision for our protection and blessing.

God will protect us and deliver us, but it may not mean the absence of pain and affliction in this life. He is not only our shield but a bulwark that fortifies our security; however, that security may be spiritual. Recently four missionaries were killed in Iraq. Was this a contradiction to God's promise of protection from "the arrow that flies by day," or "the pestilence that stalks in darkness," or "the destruction that lays waste at noon" (verses 5-6)? Not at all! Those who were slain were secure under the shadow of the Almighty. He was their refuge and dwelling place, and that was not taken from them. Though their life on earth was cut short from a human perspective, they lost nothing. The evil one could not touch them as God was faithful to "bear [them] up" (verse 12). God delivers us from fear! Abiding in Him liberates us from the fear and threats of what might happen to us.

God responds to this abiding relationship with a beautiful expression of assurance in the closing verses.
He will deliver us because we love Him.
He sets us securely on high because we know His name.
He answers us because we call on Him.
He is with us in trouble, will rescue us, honor us, satisfy us with a long life, and
allow us to know and experience His salvation because of an abiding, intimate relationship with Him.

Prayer: Lord, may my only desire be to dwell in Your presence and abide under the shadow of Your protection. Help me not to look for security in worldly terms of personal comforts and safety, but recognize You are my security and my refuge; I shall not fear. In Jesus Name we pray, Amen

In the Secret Place: A Pilgrimage through the Psalms.
Amen x