• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Promises - Sanctification

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. (1 Corinthians 7:14)

O but the power of grace in the New Covenant is great! Under the Mosaic Covenant, God's people had to cut themselves off from the unbelieving and the foreign wife made the Israelite husband unclean (Ezra 10:2-3). Yet now, the grace of God works so powerfully through the Christian covenant that the Lord ordains his grace will actually work through the believing spouse to the sanctification of the unbelieving!

BLB

Loyal
For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy. (1 Corinthians 7:14)

O but the power of grace in the New Covenant is great! Under the Mosaic Covenant, God's people had to cut themselves off from the unbelieving and the foreign wife made the Israelite husband unclean (Ezra 10:2-3). Yet now, the grace of God works so powerfully through the Christian covenant that the Lord ordains his grace will actually work through the believing spouse to the sanctification of the unbelieving!

BLB
What does this mean exactly? How do you believe this works in all practicality? I haven't really studied this yet.

Loyal
Myself, and my dad are good examples of this I think.

My dad wasn't a believer when I was growing up. But he always took my mom and my brothers and sisters to church (I'm the oldest of 5).
My mom didn't drive, to this day she doesn't have a drivers license.

My dad was a Navy chief petty officer. Very military, very by the book. Pretty much how you would stereo-typically look at a career Navy guy.
Drinks beer, curses a lot, tattoos., tells a lot of dirty jokes. But despite that, a pretty good dad, and a faithful husband.

Over the years, my dad stopped drinking at home, then stopped drinking all together. He stopped cursing at home, and I suspect stopped
cursing as much at work also. After I moved out and was on my own for while, I noticed my dad had stopped telling dirty jokes.
All this was over a period of 20 years or more. But because my mom was a Christian, my dads behavior changed.

About 10 years ago, my dad figured, if he was going to be at church anyway, he might as well listen to the preacher.
He started reading the Bible a little. he got involved in doing some janitorial and electrical work around the church. Fixing little
things here and there. He then started doing the A/V sound and video at my moms church. He would call me from time to time
and we would have little talks about the Bible here and there.

Six years ago, my dad got saved.

Three years ago, my dad passed away.

===================================================================

I got saved originally when I was in my teens. Walked with God for a long time, but started to "fall away" over the years.
Stopped going to church, stopped praying, stopped reading the Bible... started hanging around the wrong crowd and doing what they
were doing, started drinking. Got involved with another woman. and things went down hill from there.

Years later, I got re-married. This woman was a Christian (I told her I was, although I wasn't really practicing it at the time).
But I went to church with her, started praying with her, started reading the Bible again... and guess what...

I don't think anyone is saved simply because their husband or wife is saved.
But I think people get saved because their husband or wife is saved (sometimes it takes years).

1 Pet 3:1; In the same way, you wives, be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives,
1 Pet 3:2; as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.

Staff Member
Dear Sister Sue
@Sue J Love
"What does this mean exactly? How do you believe this works in all practicality? I haven't really studied this yet."

This is one of the problems with getting too deeply into a singular verse without looking to context. This surely is one of the verses that make understanding what is meant without additional scrutiny of this chapter and the rest of scripture prone to misunderstanding or in worldly vernacular "wishful thinking". Meaning that it seems to lead one to somehow see it speaking of "salvation".

I agree with Brother BAC, because as the following verse from the same chapter as this devotional speaks of our inability to determine the faith/destiny of another we do not determine/know what the final results will be.

[1Co 7:16 NASB] 16 For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

In marriage we are one until we are no longer one. Meaning the deadly "D" word, Divorced.
Genesis 2:24 speaks of a man & woman being of one flesh.
Within this context how could they be considered somehow two?

[1Co 7:15 NASB] 15 Yet if the unbelieving one leaves, let him leave; the brother or the sister is not under bondage in such cases, but God has called us to peace.

What we as believers in a marriage need to remember is to be faithful. The onus is actually on the other who is not a believer. If they stay, then God is faithful to provide the opportunity for Salvation. If they leave then they are truly on their own and not subject to the covenant of marriage that they have chosen to part from (separate).

[Mat 19:6 NASB] 6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

There are two personal stories that I have shared before in TJ that cover two couples. Each with a different ending, but both dealing with faithful women of God. In each it was God's will that was done and not necessarily that of the spouses. Each woman suffered years of pain. Eventually, one husband left while the husband of the other stayed and came to Christ. Both died never having remarried and still in love with the husband they had known.

I cannot tell you why each ended differently. What I can tell you is that they set an example of what it means to be faithful to God no matter what! Yet the different outcomes in those marriages spoke perfectly to the verses found in 1 Corinthians Chapter 7

Consider that while the marriage continues with one believing and walking in God's way. While the other does not. They are one in the eyes of God, which is the most important consideration for us. Still one. However, we do know that a final solution will be rendered. For God's will be done in all things dear sister.

So our hope and prayers will always be that the unbeliever, no matter who they be, may come to the Lord!

I don't know if this answers what you are seeking to know. I do pray that you will be comforted in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

With the Love of Christ Jesus dear Sister Sue.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Loyal
@B-A-C & @Christ4Ever - Not sure I understand it yet. Not sure that I understand yet exactly how the unbelieving spouse is sanctified by the believing spouse or how the children are made holy since we all have to individually believe in Jesus Christ. I understand that a believing spouse can have a tremendous influence over the unbelieving spouse, and may be the reason the unbelieving spouse eventually becomes a believer, but beyond that, it does not yet click in. But, that's ok. I will pray about it and see what the Lord teaches me through it. Thank you both for trying to help, and thank you B-A-C for sharing that personal testimony. I appreciate it, and it was very encouraging.

Loyal
Part of this is controversial.

1 Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

I would ask do you believe infants go to heaven?
This verse seems to indicate that this is only the case if at least one of the parents is a believer.
Once we reach the "age of accountability" (most likely different for every person) then we are responsible for the choices we make,
especially the choice of salvation.

No matter if you are male or female, it required someone of the opposite sex in order for a baby to be conceived (Jesus was an exception :smile: )
So like @Christ4Ever says. It takes two to tango. Can a baby (infant) be kept out of heaven just because one of the parents isn't saved?
I think there is a special grace here. Almost as if both parents were saved.

Some think all infants go to heaven, and that may well be the case ( I personally hope so ) but just in case, it's nice to know
that it only takes one saved parent in order to cover an infant.

Loyal
Part of this is controversial.

1 Cor 7:14; For the unbelieving husband is sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified through her believing husband; for otherwise your children are unclean, but now they are holy.

I would ask do you believe infants go to heaven?
This verse seems to indicate that this is only the case if at least one of the parents is a believer.
Once we reach the "age of accountability" (most likely different for every person) then we are responsible for the choices we make,
especially the choice of salvation.

No matter if you are male or female, it required someone of the opposite sex in order for a baby to be conceived (Jesus was an exception :smile: )
So like @Christ4Ever says. It takes two to tango. Can a baby (infant) be kept out of heaven just because one of the parents isn't saved?
I think there is a special grace here. Almost as if both parents were saved.

Some think all infants go to heaven, and that may well be the case ( I personally hope so ) but just in case, it's nice to know
that it only takes one saved parent in order to cover an infant.
That is a subject that is difficult to find a lot of scriptural support for, or at least that is very clear and easily understood. This just came to mind:

But Jesus said, "Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." Matt. 19:14

Loyal
If you know where to look, there are 3 or 4 passages about this.

Mal 2:11; "Judah has dealt treacherously, and an abomination has been committed in Israel and in Jerusalem; for Judah has profaned the sanctuary of the LORD which He loves and has married the daughter of a foreign god.
Mal 2:12; "As for the man who does this, may the LORD cut off from the tents of Jacob everyone who awakes and answers, or who presents an offering to the LORD of hosts.
Mal 2:14; "Yet you say, 'For what reason?' Because the LORD has been a witness between you and the wife of your youth, against whom you have dealt treacherously, though she is your companion and your wife by covenant.
Mal 2:15; "But not one has done so who has a remnant of the Spirit. And what did that one do while he was seeking a godly offspring? Take heed then to your spirit, and let no one deal treacherously against the wife of your youth.

God much prefers that we marry other believers (not be unequally yoked - 2 Cor 6:14; )
God wants us to produce "godly offspring". If one spouse is an unbeliever, this lowers the odds quite a bit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 6
Christ4Ever Devotionals 2