• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Promises - Chosen

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
But ye [are] a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light: (1 Peter 2:9)

As Christians, we have the tremendous privilege to be called "God's own possession." Although we were once lost with no identity as a people, we have come to know the excellent mercies of God. He has brought us together as a holy nation, set apart for His glory. For we certainly have become property of the almighty King, that we may proclaim His goodness and righteousness to all people.

BLB

Loyal
This verse also the basis for something called the "priesthood of all believers".
Virtually all protestant denominations do not have priests anymore.
There are a couple of denominations that consider themselves protestant, but are not considered protestant
by most other protestant denominations. Generally this is because of priests.

I realize I'm getting a little off track here, but I do agree the OP above.

Roman Catholic churches have priests.
Generally Anglican/Episcopalian/Lutheran ELCA churches also have priests.
(It seems most Lutheran Missouri Synod churches do not, but I am not sure about this).

The purpose of priests was two things. Confession and animal sacrifices. Being a priest was a bloody job in the old testament.
The priests themselves were subject to the high priest. This was who they confessed to and who did the animal sacrifices for their sins.

Since we no longer need priests (we ourselves are are priesthood) we no longer need an earthly high priest.
Jesus is our high priest. ( Heb 3:1; Heb 4:15; Heb 6:20; Heb 7:26-28; Heb 8:1-3; etc...)
We can talk directly to Him. He is our intercessor and our mediator.

This is also a major difference between what protestants call communion (Eucharist) and Roman Catholics call "mass".
Mass has to be done by a priest, they believe the bread actually becomes the body of Christ (transubstantiation)
and the juice (wine) actually becomes Jesus's blood. Every time Roman Catholics celebrate mass, they are re-crucifying Jesus.

Communion is done as a "remembrance" ceremony. - Do this in remembrance of me. ( Luke 22:19; 1 Cor 11:24-25; )

The word 'protestant' comes from "protest" (Wikipedia disagrees with this).
We are "protesting" the Roman Catholic church. Protestant was originally a
derogatory word used by Roman Catholics. I've read many books of this, some
dating from the 17th century. I see no mention of "protesi".

Sorry to get off track, but yes we are also called to be a Holy Nation, called out of darkness into the light, and yes...
we should show forth praise to Him.

Staff Member
The word 'protestant' comes from "protest" (Wikipedia disagrees with this).
We are "protesting" the Roman Catholic church. Protestant was originally a
derogatory word used by Roman Catholics. I've read many books of this, some
dating from the 17th century. I see no mention of "protesi".
Not to move off the subject, as you say :smile:
I thought you might find this word origin interesting.

Online Etymology Dictionary

As far as Catholicism. We brother are on the same page! The look from a Catholic when I told them I was going to the hospital to give communion to a woman who was sick and unable to come to church!

This is also a major difference between what protestants call communion (Eucharist) and Roman Catholics call "mass".
Mass has to be done by a priest, they believe the bread actually becomes the body of Christ (transubstantiation)
and the juice (wine) actually becomes Jesus's blood. Every time Roman Catholics celebrate mass, they are re-crucifying Jesus.
[Rom 6:10 KJV] 10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Thanks for sharing brother.
YBIC
Nick
<><

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0