Pride

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
One thing is for sure God does not like the pride in anyone. As a matter of scripture the word says God opposes the prideful

James 4:6
But he gives more grace. Therefore it says, “God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble.

You can search scripture and there is much said about the pride and its not good !!

So what does Pride look like, I am sure people who are proud do not even know it, you will here things like I am not bragging then they go on to list of accomplishments that they have done perhaps?? Lord forgive me I am guilty of this.

learning from brother NIck to search parable for examples I found this parable and thought it fitting. As to what pride might look like

Luke 18:9-14
He also told this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and treated others with contempt: “Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee, standing by himself, prayed thus: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I get.’ But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, a sinner!’ ..

Jesus said

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”

Being humble to me is the opposite of being prideful, I get prideful way to much Lord forgive me. Any time I take something personal in a discussions and seek only to be right instead of seeking the truth I am being prideful. Anytime I give a smart a$$ remark to a person instead of always giving a loving caring encouraging response I am being
prideful, My Heavenly father I pray for forgiveness and a change of heart. And I thank you my Heavenly father for the changes you have made in my heart and look forward to receiving more of them in Jesus name I pray.

I am scared to death of pride, and the most scary thing with sin I believe is sin is so sneaky to me it blinds so I do not even know its got me.

Loyal Member
One thing the Pharisees trusted in themselves that they were righteous..because they were so intellectual they lived in their books and their minds. Jesus saw they were right in their minds but not transformed in their hearts.

Notice the tax collector beat his breast..he was pointing to his heart, to have it changed.

When we love the Lord, we dont just love him with all our minds, but all our hearts and all our soul. Yes it was good the Pharisees were so careful to do everything right, but many missed out on prayers being answered because only their minds were right yet they havent given their heart. And it is with the heart one believes.

I had one lady in a bible study who seemed to know everything there is to know about the Bible. She had amazing knowledge and could wow anyone with facts and trivia about it, yet she treated others who were not as intellectual as she was with contempt. Some people can exalt themselves so much that they wont even come to church cos going there means associating with riff raff and unsavoury people who are poorer than they are or maybe a different colour skin or speak a different language. We have intellectually handicapped people in our church who love the Lord too, but some people will judge them and say well they cant know God cos they arent smart enough.

Loyal Member
"Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." I John 2:15-16

Loyal Member
Over the eons, Pride is probably close to being the number one sin, it caused Lucifer's fall, Adam and Eve and has been and will be the down fall of many a man and woman.