• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Praying in the Spirit Romans 8: 26 -30

Romans 8:26–30

Praying in the Spirit
Things looked bleak for the children of George Muller's orphanage at Ashley Downs in England. It was time for breakfast, and there was no food. A small girl whose father was a close friend of Muller was visiting in the home. Muller took her hand and said, "Come and see what our Father will do." In the dining room, long tables were set with empty plates and empty mugs. Not only was there no food in the kitchen, but there was no money in the children home's account.

Muller prayed, "Dear Father, we thank Thee for what Thou art going to give us to eat." Immediately, they heard a knock at the door. When they opened it, there stood the local baker. "Mr. Muller," he said, "I couldn't sleep last night. Somehow I felt you had no bread for breakfast, so I got up at 2 o'clock and baked fresh bread. Here it is." Muller thanked him and gave praise to God.

Soon, a second knock was heard. It was the milkman. His cart had broken down in front of the orphanage. He said he would like to give the children the milk so he could empty the cart and repair it.

God answers prayer. He wants us involved in His eternal purpose. As a loving, Father He wants us to come to Him and ask in faith. The Spirit–filled Christian is a praying Christian who walks by faith trusting His heavenly Father to provide daily.

The life of the Christian is a daily Spirit–controlled life. It is not a life designed just for the weekend, just for Sunday, or just for the church. It is a life designed for the home, the school, the place of employment, the office, the kitchen––wherever you are. It is there that God expects us to live a Spirit–filled life. The Spirit–filled life is not a religious cop out. It is designed to meet the need of every moment of your week, and to be your source of strength and power right through all the difficulties of each day.

PRAYING IN THE SPIRIT (8:26–27)
The Apostle Paul wrote in Romans 8:26–27 words of encouragement for trouble filled days. He said: "In the same way the Spirit also helps our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we should, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words; and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God."

God wants us to ask.
One of the great mysteries of life is prayer. God the Father takes joy in answering prayer. It is our responsibility to go to Him and enter into fellowship with Him. Prayer is more than just asking God for things. It is an attitude, a way of life. It involves formal prayers as when we come before Him in corporeal worship. It is also when we come before Him silently in the classroom, a business adventure, or in a public setting. In Ephesians 6:18, the apostle Paul asked the church at Ephesus to pray for him in his ministry, “With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints."

There are other times when life is just simply too big, and too complex, and we do not know what to ask for. In such times, we know neither what to pray for, nor how to present our petitions, as we ought. This is when the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf. He graciously shares with us the bearing of this burden.

He gives wisdom to all who come and ask Him. "But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all generously and without reproach, and it will be given to him. But he must ask in faith without any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea, driven and tossed by the wind" (James 1:5–6).

Jesus is our perfect example of praying in the Spirit.
He was the perfect Spirit–filled man. Luke, the Greek Physician, gives a good summary of the Holy Spirit's ministry in Jesus.

Jesus was also baptized, and while He was praying, heaven was opened, and the Holy Spirit descended upon Him in bodily form like a dove, and a voice came out of heaven, "You are My beloved Son, in You I am well–pleased . . . . Jesus full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led around by the Spirit in the wilderness . . . . And Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about Him spread through all the surrounding district. And He began teaching in their synagogues and was praised by all. And He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up; and as was His custom, He entered the synagogue on the Sabbath, and stood up to read. And the book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,

"The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,

Because He anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor.
He has sent Me to proclaim release to the captives,
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set free those who are oppressed,
To proclaim the favorable year of the Lord." (Luke 3:21–22; 4:1, 14–18).

Why did Jesus pray? He prayed to maintain the intimate love relationship with the Father. Jesus experienced unbroken sweet communion between He and His Father. Throughout the four Gospels, we find Jesus abiding in the presence of the Father. He sought to do the will of the Father.

Where did Jesus pray? He prayed everywhere: with His disciples, in small groups with Peter, James and John. He prayed alone in the mountains, He prayed on a picnic with His disciples by the lakeside, etc.

Jesus prayed without ceasing. It was His custom to pray. He prayed before making important decisions as when He called the twelve. He asked for the Father's guidance. He spent the entire night paying for the Father's will.

What did He pray for? He prayed for Himself. He prayed for the disciples to know spiritual truths, "Flesh and blood has not revealed this unto you, but My Father who is in heaven." He prayed for Peter when he said, "I have prayed for you that your faith will not fail." In warning Peter the very night of His denial Jesus said, "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers" (Luke 22:31–32).

He encouraged them to pray and not to become weighed down by the worries of life. "But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man" (Luke 21:36).

Not only did Jesus pray with a deep burden and sense of urgency for His disciples, but He also prayed for strength for Himself. Have you ever listened to the groanings of Jesus as He prayed?

And He came out and proceeded as was His custom to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples also followed Him. When He arrived at the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation." And He withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and He knelt down and began to pray, saying, "Father, if You are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not My will, but Yours be done." Now an angel from heaven appeared to Him, strengthening Him. And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground. When He rose from prayer, He came to the disciples and found them sleeping from sorrow, and said to them, "Why are you sleeping? Get up and pray that you may not enter into temptation. (Luke 22: 39–46).

While Jesus is yet speaking, the mob came to arrest Him.

It is interesting as we consider Jesus as our best example of the Spirit–controlled man praying in the Spirit that there is no record of His ever praying in "tongues."

People ask is this groaning in the Spirit praying in tongues. There seems little reason to embrace such a view. All of creation is sighing and groaning. They are not speaking in charismatic tongues. It is the prayer of every Christian. The Holy Spirit makes intercession even through our groanings.

Speaking in tongues or praying emotionally ecstatic meaningless syllables is not what Paul is talking about in Romans 8:26. These are not ecstatic cries or tongues or any special language that is mentioned here. Paul specifically says that the praying of the Spirit is too deep for words, or even utterance. It is unuttered; it cannot be expressed. It is felt only in the heart, and it never comes to the surface of the lips. It never can be expressed. In other words, these are those deep yearnings of the soul that all of us feel at times for more of God for ourselves, or for someone else. This is why we often call it "a burden." It is a burden "too deep for words."

This word is found here only in the New Testament. These groanings are inexpressible, "unspoken," or "unutterable." They are without words. Perhaps it is impossible to put them into words.

Jesus prayed with this same kind of intense burden for a lost world in the Garden of Gethsemane. "Not my will, Thy will be done." When we pray in the Spirit, we have that same intense desire of the soul. We love for the will of God to be done in our lives.

The Holy Spirit does the same thing for us.
Where do you groan today? Where do you feel the sting of sin, or the hurt of a broken relationship? Where is the pain of an empty chair at your supper table, or the crushing defeat of loneliness? Is there the guilt of a conscience that refuses to be quieted, or the disappointment of unfaithfulness? What is the "groan" or "burden" or "weakness" you face today?

Can you identify with Paul in Second Corinthians 4:7–12? In part he says, "we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves; we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body. For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus’ sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh. So death works in us, but life in you."

Pounds paraphrase reads: We possess this priceless treasure of the fragrance of the Gospel in these old fragile clay pots in order that the exceeding greatness of the power of God may be manifest, as coming from God and not from ourselves. We are hard pressed on every side with troubles all around us, but we are not crushed, we still have breathing room. We are perplexed and bewildered, but not despairing. We are hunted down by persecutors, but not forsaken by the Lord. We are always getting knocked down, but never a knockout.

You say "Life isn't fair." "That's not what I want out of my life."

We want to be glazed and polished, painted, displayed and put on some safe shelf. But that's not God's way of producing fragrance.

God's way of producing His fragrance is to take the pot off the shelf, break it and pour out the fragrance.

A. W. Tozer said, "It is doubtful God can bless any man greatly until He has hurt him deeply." Or as Alan Redpath once said: "When God wants to do an impossible task he takes an impossible man and crushes him."

How is the pot? Where is your weakness today? Do you feel squeezed in? Sickness, disease, heartache, disappointment, disaster, some crushing experience, tears, death, shadow of death . . . (v. 11 is a commentary on v. 10).

For Paul it meant, "afflicted . . . perplexed . . . persecuted . . . struck down." That was the process God used to release the fragrance in Paul's life. But please keep in mind Paul was not alone in this process. God was at work in Him. How did He do it?

In Romans 8:26, the Apostle Paul writes, "the Spirit helps our weakness." He was there with Paul in the afflictions, perplexities, persecutions and weaknesses.

Helps means to lend a hand together, at the same time with one, to help, to come to the aid of someone. That is the word of the Encourager, the Paraklete. A. T. Robertson said, "Here beautifully Paul pictures the Holy Spirit taking hold at our side at the very time of our weakness . . . and before too late."

The beautiful thing is His power is perfected in our weaknesses. When we die, He lives. When we lose, He wins. When we are weak, He is strong. When we are dependent, He is powerful. This is what God was doing in Paul. He does the same in us as we yield to Him. It is walking and praying in the Spirit.

Paul reminds us we don't know how to pray. Like Jesus' disciples we come to the Lord asking Him to teach us to pray. Paying is hard work. It is difficult for most of us. It takes thought, concentration and commitment. Moreover, we are not always good judges of that for which we should be praying. We ask amiss. We ask for the wrong things. I am afraid we often come to the Father asking for things that displease Him. We pray for things unprofitable for us in our walk with Him. Paul prayed intensely on three occasions for the thorn to be removed (2 Cor. 12:7–9). God did not remove the thorn. He gave Paul grace to grow trough the thorns in his life. In the process of suffering, Paul grew in the likeness of Christ.

We do not know what is best for us because we do not have God's overall perspective of what He is doing, not only in our lives, but also in the lives of those about us who in one way or another are impacted by our lives. There are always those who are silently watching us and observing how we live the Christian life. They are influenced by how we handle our weaknesses. Do they see us as instruments of God's grace? From our human perspective, we don't always see how God is using our situations to impact others for His good. Our perspective of our circumstances radically changes when we get eternity into the picture.

Isn't it wonderful to know that when we do not know how to pray or what to do the Holy Spirit comes to our aid?

Active
No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day. 45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’Therefore everyone who [a]has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.

37 All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will [f]by no means cast out.

Loyal
Pray, Pray, Pray, it is the Lord's will that we should seek the lost souls, pray for them, introduce them to Jesus, pray for them, tell them about the cross, pray for them, tell them how and whu Jesus shed His blood on the cross pray for them...

If we do not pray for lost souls, they are constant bait for satan!

1 Timothy 2:1 (NKJV)
1 Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,

James 5:16 (NKJV)
16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NKJV)
16 Rejoice always,
17 pray without ceasing,
18 in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Matthew 28:19-20 (NKJV)
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

We are to do the Lord's will until he returns, this includes the items above and praying for one another, especially praying for the lost souls

Jesus came to seek and save, that is what we are to do my friend. It takes prayer.

Active
1 Timothy 2:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)
Pray for All Men

2 Therefore I [a]exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, andgiving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in [b]authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and [c]reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.

My ex always tested it when he thought it was God. He'd say: Do you confess Jesus is Lord? Do you confess Jesus has come into the flesh? And sometimes they screamed no and sometimes God said: yes son cause I'm your Father. Watch out with spirits talking and assuming it's the Holy Spirit. Test. He never goes against His own Word in the Bible. Satan comes as an angel of light.

It's very dangerous if you don't test with the Bible what you hear. Test every spirit.

1 Timothy 2:1-3 New King James Version (NKJV)
Pray for All Men

2 Therefore I [a]exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, andgiving of thanks be made for all men, 2 for kings and all who are in [b]authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and [c]reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior.

My ex always tested it when he thought it was God. He'd say: Do you confess Jesus is Lord? Do you confess Jesus has come into the flesh? And sometimes they screamed no and sometimes God said: yes son cause I'm your Father. Watch out with spirits talking and assuming it's the Holy Spirit. Test. He never goes against His own Word in the Bible. Satan comes as an angel of light.
i’m only replying in agreement here .
i was hurt several years ago by demons . you can only be hurt by demons if you let them in . how did i let them in my life ? i believed a lie that they told me. the lie was that they told me they were the lord.
it took several years to undo the pain i suffered .
please test those who claim to be god.
your soul is a battlefield and the demons will try everything to mislead you .
i was hurt so badly i don’t want anyone else to experience my pain . it was so bad i almost killed my self i was that desperate.

Loyal
Long ago Jesus told me that just because someone ask him to come into their heart does not mean that he enters into their heart.

There are a many a soul who thinks Jesus entered into their heart after they asked him to do so but they are deceived he turned them down and did not accept them.

I think you misunderstood, God calls us, we do not call Him. Jesus stands at the door of our heart and knocks but we must open the door of our heart to Him.

Now there are many who may ask Jesus into their heart, we may see them do so, but God knows their heart. It is not the Lord rejecting them it is their heart not being right at the time, not really meaning it.

Now the trouble is that the person said it, without meaning it, they are not born again but think they are! There are lots of them about. The deceiver of souls is loving it, and they go forth and deceive others.

Be wise as serpents, harmless as doves, there fruit type will reveal them.

Loyal
I was raised in Bible / in a good Bible-teaching church -- had great head knowledge of salvation and lots of things, but it was a while before I realized -- even though I Did pray about salvation -- my heart had to understand more -- and when I finally realized that I didn't have to walk down the aisle to be saved -- I could talk to God 'right where I was' -- that I Did. And Then when I thanked God for my salvation through Jesus Christ --Then I knew that everything was okay -- I felt the inner presence of the Holy Spirit. the inner Peace.

Loyal
Now the trouble is that the person said it, without meaning it, they are not born again but think they are! There are lots of them about. The deceiver of souls is loving it, and they go forth and deceive others.

I agree with this, but in your view... what is the difference between the two? Can it be explained in simple language?
Everyone believes in Jesus, Roman Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, even the demons. So what is the difference between them and someone who is saved?

Loyal
There's a difference between being a moral person and a person's life / countenance showing love and peacefulness. A person who truly loves God / Jesus won't be outwardly identifying as a Muslim. A person's life will be exhibiting the fruit of having the Holy Spirit indwelling them. I mentioned Muslim people because they wear their garb that identifies them upon sight. That particular religious group has vowed to take this country like they take other countries.

I acknowledge the existence of satan and the demonic world -- I certainly do Not identify with them.-- they are totally evil,

Loyal
I agree with this, but in your view... what is the difference between the two? Can it be explained in simple language?
Everyone believes in Jesus, Roman Catholics, Mormons, Jehovah's witnesses, even the demons. So what is the difference between them and someone who is saved?

The Holy Spirit is in the heart of a saved soul, without the spirit the soul is unsaved and belongs to sin, the world and the devil. It is life or death, a person must be 100% sure or they can go through life thinking they are saved and ending up at the Great White Throne Judgement. How terrible that would be, everyone must be sure they are saved.

There are many who think they are saved, the preacher may have told them so, directly or indirectly, they may have missed scripture being read and not asked for clarification. The preacher may not be born again so doesn't know the difference.

Some think they are saved by reading certain verses, e.g. believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, or, call on the name of the Lord and you will be saved, there are many examples, but John 3:1-21 puts everything in context, 3 times Jesus made clear we must be born again, then towards the end we have the summing up which all should read and understand, Jesus couldn't have made things clearer. So the verses that say 'call on his name's, believe on him are all dependant on what Jesus said in John 3:1-21, we must be born again.

So how do people know they are born again, they have given 'everything' to God through Jesus, repented of their sins which they now realise are vile and stop us being saved. They have declared their faith out loud and from the heart. They become a new creation, they take up their cross and follow Him daily. They find the things of the world and sin vile, they only want to live for and please Jesus, from the heart.

I have heard catholics say, they are the only 'Religion' who will go to heaven, yet the majority, pray through the heart of the blessed virgin mary, take mass and do so not with bread and wine as symbols but actually believe they are eating the body and blood of Jesus. I could add lots more, but how can they be saved if they pray through Mary, worship looking at Jesus on a cross, He is risen!!! It is idol worship.

We have to be right with God, with The Word, everything must be done from the heart, according to God's Word, if it doesn't we can't fool God, the Holy Spirit will not abide in any heart that is in sin and not repented of to God through Jesus, in Jesus Name.

Active

There are those who have received the baptism in the Holy Ghost and are indeed born again of the Spirit, then there are those who are good congregation
members that have no testimony of the infilling but believe they are saved because they accepted Jesus into their heart. This type is always trying to get
someone to go to, or come to church with them, to hear their preacher etc... and make another good congregation member that pays tithes and keeps the
group running. A real Christian, if not a babe in Christ, should be pointing you toward Jesus and him only, not a congregation or denomination or anything
other than the Lord himself, and be able to answer every question you have and show you where it is in the Bible.

We are told in Mark that we would know the believers because of the signs that should follow them. Mark 16:17-18. They know who they are but a sure sign of
a non believer that believes they are saved is they will speak/preach against these things as if they were only for the early elect because they do not possess them.

Loyal
In what way? There are moral atheists, moral Muslims, and moral Roman Catholics. Some are more moral than 'Christians'.

The moral of the story brother is in John 31:21. We must be born again.

The Holy Spirit doesn't abide in a persons heart because they have god morals, they are still sinners, no matter how god they think they are or try to be.

There are lots of people who have good morals, even Christian values, but they do not accepted God's one and only son who died for their sins. They have not repented to God through Jesus, they don't consider themselves sinners.

Without Jesus they are naught, without being saved they are unsaved, without being born again they belong to sin, the world and the devil.

Morals do not save anyone brother, as we know.

Loyal
So you're saying that a 'real' Christian should be pointing others to Jesus Christ only -- correct -- there is no salvation is anyone else. and you're saying that a congregation or denomination or anything else would be wrong -- and that a 'real' Christian Should be able to answer every question another person would have and show where it is in the Bible. In Spite of the fact that Scripture Also says to Not forsake the assembling of ourselves together with other believers on a regular basis. Because that is a problem that had been developing.

And the Mark 16 passage did only apply to a given bunch of people at a given time in history.

Loyal
There's a difference between being a moral person and a person's life / countenance showing love and peacefulness. A person who truly loves God / Jesus won't be outwardly identifying as a Muslim. A person's life will be exhibiting the fruit of having the Holy Spirit indwelling them. I mentioned Muslim people because they wear their garb that identifies them upon sight. That particular religious group has vowed to take this country like they take other countries.

I acknowledge the existence of satan and the demonic world -- I certainly do Not identify with them.-- they are totally evil,

They have hanged for years, I remember seeing a video 20 years ago, their chants were, 'Death to Jews, Death to America, Death to all Christian's. They really do want a 'One world Religion'

20 years ago I saw that, many marching were kids under 8 years old and from 8 to adult. It is not surprising then we have seen the rise in Islamic extremism. These kids are 20 years older, they have been brain washed from the cot.

Covid-19 has slowed down many things, I read last year they are rebuilding their forces in the mountains in Iraq. As we approach the end we will see them again, we will see more.

Thank God for Jesus

Active
And the Mark 16 passage did only apply to a given bunch of people at a given time in history.
Then why do I and others have the testimony that we do or have done these things. A thing that is for a believer then is also for a believer now. There is no difference between us and them. It's all spiritual so what changed that takes it away from us and makes it only for them?
But like I said those that do not have the testimony will always speak against it because they do not have it.

In Spite of the fact that Scripture Also says to Not forsake the assembling of ourselves together with other believers on a regular basis.

Scripture never says on a REGULAR BASIS, Paul couldn't do that himself from prison and he's the one that wrote the verse. It is always best to let the babe in Christ
be taught by the Lord first, then they can venture out and see if there even is a congregation that knows the truth. 1 John 2:26-27 is a warning and it should
be heeded by all of us as we come to the close of the first death.

Loyal
There are those who have received the baptism in the Holy Ghost and are indeed born again of the Spirit, then there are those who are good congregation
members that have no testimony of the infilling but believe they are saved because they accepted Jesus into their heart. This type is always trying to get
someone to go to, or come to church with them, to hear their preacher etc... and make another good congregation member that pays tithes and keeps the
group running. A real Christian, if not a babe in Christ, should be pointing you toward Jesus and him only, not a congregation or denomination or anything
other than the Lord himself, and be able to answer every question you have and show you where it is in the Bible.

We are told in Mark that we would know the believers because of the signs that should follow them. Mark 16:17-18. They know who they are but a sure sign of
a non believer that believes they are saved is they will speak/preach against these things as if they were only for the early elect because they do not possess them.

Agree brother

A saved soul knows they are and also knows what part of the church they are. We are as saved souls, spiritual living stones, each built together with other spiritual stones, together we are built into the Church of Christ, the ekklesia, regardless of age, sex, ability, disability, colour or tongue. We are the elite whom humble ourselves before the Lord, we are the fortunate that never stops praying for the unfortunate, those who think they know best and wallow in worldy riches, materialism and ways.

We are a chosen people, God called us, we are His, Christ paid the price we should pay ourselves. We are adopted into His family, co-heirs in Christ Jesus.

We think more of others that ourselves, the Holy Spirit lives in us moulding us daily to be the people He wants us to be, we practice righteousness and take up our cross daily to be more like Jesus.

We love one another as Christ loves us, our fruits are there for all to see.

But the unsaved are only interested in worldly things, material things, worldly riches, some go to places of worship as they feel it makes them look better people, but God knows the Truth, He sees the heart of every soul, we are saved or we are not, there is no luke warm, no wall or fence between, we are His or we are not.

Bless you brother

Loyal
So you're saying that a 'real' Christian should be pointing others to Jesus Christ only -- correct -- there is no salvation is anyone else. and you're saying that a congregation or denomination or anything else would be wrong -- and that a 'real' Christian Should be able to answer every question another person would have and show where it is in the Bible. In Spite of the fact that Scripture Also says to Not forsake the assembling of ourselves together with other believers on a regular basis. Because that is a problem that had been developing.

If I could answer every question relating to the Bible, my name would be Jesus, and it isn't.

Active
If I could answer every question relating to the Bible, my name would be Jesus, and it isn't.
You ever had the Lord test you by using others to ask you questions you knew they were to young to ask, or even unlearned to know what they were asking?

Bible does say study to show yourself approved unto God a workman that needs not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. My general comment earlier
was that a non astute person shouldn't be asking too many tough questions. But rather generalized stuff. On the other hand when Jesus spoke it was only what
the Father told him to say. Some questions were never answered. And most with just parables.