Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Praying for The Voice of the Martyrs

Discussion in 'Prayer Request' started by rizen1, May 1, 2007.

1. #1 rizen1, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
    Growing up with the freedom of religion, I do not know anything about persecution. But I have brothers and sister in Christ who must hide in basements and caves to pray, in fear of losing their lives.
    While I stand ashame at times to hand out a tract, they are making themselves targets to be slaughtered for sharing the gospel.

I want to start a thread where we can pray for our family members in Christ.
    Most of my names and stories will come from Voice of Martyrs, and missionaries. Place them in your personal prayers.

Lord I ask you to bless this Thread and each person who would take the time out to pray for your servants. I thank you for the freedom we share here in TalkJesus. Bless this family make us one, so we can be counted.

"There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all."(I Corinthians 12:5-7)

2. #2 rizen1, May 1, 2007
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
    Lord hear our cry.

TAMIL NADU -

On April 22, two pastors were beaten and jailed after more than 20 members of a Hindu extremist group disrupted a prayer meeting. The extremists surrounded the house where the Christians were meeting and verbally abused the pastors. When the police arrived the pastors were ordered to accompany them to the police station. On the way, the extremists attacked again, beating the pastors and four believers who accompanied them. The extremists accused the pastors of forced conversions and are being held in the central prison. Pray for God to speedily heal those who were injured and that Christians in India will trust Him in the midst of great persecution.
    Psalm 103:1-3, Psalm 5: 11-12

----VOM

3. They are always in my prayers.

4. Lord Protect our Borthers and sisters.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. "(Matthew 5:3-4)

Prayers for May 10, 2007
    From The Voice of the Martyrs

INDIA Christians Attacked and Imprisoned; Pastor Beaten - VOM Sources
    RAJASTAN
    On April 22, Pastor Jayasheelan and eight other believers were beaten by more than 90 people at a prayer meeting in Rajankunte Village. After surrounding the house, the mob shouted slogans and threatened to burn it down if the Christians did not meet them outside. After Pastor Jayasheelan and the others came out of the house, they were beaten and kicked while the police looked on. The pastor was struck on his head, back and hip. The other believers were also injured.

They were later jailed in the Central Jail and released after two days. The believers befriended the other prisoners while they were in jail and shared the gospel. Some of the 20 prisoners received Christ.
    On April 29, Pastor Walter Masih was attacked by Hindu extremists while returning home after Sunday worship. Two young men asked the pastor if he could tell them about Jesus and while the pastor was sharing with them, a group of more than 15 young men started beating Pastor Walter with sticks. This happened in front of Pastor Walter's 7-year-old daughter. While he was being beaten, Pastor Walter prayed loudly for the extremists and this further infuriated them.
    Pray God protects these believers and Christians in India. Ask Him to heal the wounded and for His comfort to overwhelm them and their families. Psalm 32:7, Psalm 30:2

PHILIPPINES Seven Christian Workers Beheaded - VOM Sources
    The bodies of seven Christian workers were recovered in Parang town where they were kidnapped by Abu Sayyaf Muslim extremists. VOM sources report that the Christian workers' bodies were found in the jungles of Jolo by soldiers, days after they were seized while heading to a government road project.

Pray for comfort for these families and ask God to use the testimony of the slain believers to bring non-believers into the knowledge of Him. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7

5. powerful living christians of Burma

In the year 2003 a pastor came from burma and preached that there is want of Bibles for the people of Burma. They have a underground church were they a great weapon ,were ever they go,carrying with them . They have the thirst to know about God. They carry no guns or bombs but greater than any weapon in the world "The Bible". Pray for the underground church of burma. Pray for the Pastors etc.... Praise the lord......

6. Thank you Lord for The Voice of the Martyrs....

Thank you Lord and bless you...oh Lord please strengthen them and give your joy as they serve you , having the blessed hope of your glorious appearing...yes thank you for all the folks who are continuing with the work that you gave Richard Wurmbrand and his dear wife to do...bless you Jesus

thank you Lord.........Amen

7. Yes, we certainly need to pray for our brothers and sisters. Voice of the Martyrs is a great Christian organization. Read about those persecuted and you would be amazed by their genuine faith and courage for Jesus Christ! They are my inspiration and encouragement as well.

They get persecuted to degrees I cannot even imagine happening to me. We must pray for them and be grateful that GOD has sent these amazing preachers and missionaries to the 'hidden' dangerous parts of the world to preach the Good news of Jesus Christ. They do this all out of love for others who are lost and servitude to GOD. That's just pure amazing!

8. #8 Br. Bear, May 15, 2007
    Last edited: May 15, 2007
    As we consider praying for VOM and those who they help, please keep these things in mind....

VOM was established to awaken the 'free' world to the needs of Christians in countries that were/are closed to and against the gospel. As part of the work, we can GET INVOLVED and therefore assist our brothers and sisters in Christ who suffer for their faith in Jesus. One of the most humbling considerations is that our brothers and sisters, who are persecuted for their faith, PRAY for us !!! Please take time and consider this.

All Christians are part of one body, Christ being the head of that body.

Christians expect to spend eternity together with the Lord (He has paid for us to be there), so consider what you might say when you meet some of your brothers and sisters who have been killed merely for loving Jesus to the end, and let me add, killed often brutally and often after much hardship and abuse such as torture and witnessing their family and loved ones suffer too. Will we be able to look into their eyes with a clear consciense? These are our family. They have prayed for us.

Too often today we hear of the 'end-times', of when WE will face tribulation, etc.(or if we will). Consider this: Over 400 million members of the body of Christ are right now suffering severe deprivation and outright persecution for their faith in Jesus.....estimate how many people in your country are Christians (those who are willing to die for Jesus rather than deny Him). You can probably start to see that you and your fellow Christians make up a fraction of a percent of the body of Christ. Who is suffering ? So when we think of the Church, keep in mind that the church IS the body of Christ, and is made up of believers from all over the world, and not our little congregations. The majority of the body is already being persecuted.
    We MUST ALL STAND before the Almighty LORD.

One faith, One body, One baptism, One Spirit, One Lord.

Remember them that are in bonds, AS BOUND WITH THEM, and them which suffer adversity, as being yourselves also in the body.
    Hebrews 13:3

God will bless you both now and forever when you enter into prayer for your brothers and sisters....in ways that the world can not bless you.

If one member suffers, the whole body suffers...in Him is life...those who suffer for Him have this life .... If then they have the Life of Christ, they do not perish....so who is suffering the most...and why are so many in the free world so comfortable in their life.....PLEASE consider this....it can only serve to encourage you to reach toward the hieghts, to make every endeavour to free yourself from the entanglement of this world and to draw you to the fire that purifies, to raise you from luke-warm to having a burning love for your Saviour.

Consider too... if you lost all your possessions, had no money, no home, lost your loved ones, forbidden to meet for fellowship, forbidden to have an income, forbidden to have a Bible, under threat of severe punishment, torture and imprisonment, knowing death by heartless execution is quite possible, (1). Would you deny your faith ?
    (2). What could you do, what would you be able to do for others?

Our brothers and sisters pray for us...let us pray for them .

In Jesus name.

Bless you,

Br. Bear.

ps....and please pray for the folks who work at VOM....please.

9. #9 rizen1, May 31, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
    Please Pray....

LAOS Seven Families Expelled From Their Homes - VOM Sources
    On May 15, government authorities expelled seven of 10 Christian families from their village in Laos, and transported them to another village 12 hours away. According to The Voice of the Martyrs' contacts, the authorities told the families, "If you want to continue believing in Jesus' religion, you need to leave this village and go live in a village where there are Christians." The husbands were forced into vehicles while the wives were working in the rice paddies and this has resulted in chaos. The families are separated and are having difficulties adjusting at the new village because their tools, utensils and belongings are at the old village. Pray God gives the families grace and protection as they deal with these hardships. Psalm 91:14-16

INDIA Attack on Priest and Nun, Services Disrupted, Christians Beaten - VOM Sources

JHARKHAND - On May 14, Reverend George Minj and Sister Teresa Kindo, were attacked in a village near Ranchi as they returned to their parish in the evening after leading prayers in a nearby village. The priest sustained a blood clot in the head and is being kept under observation. Pray for the priest's speedy recovery and for protection as they continue their ministry in the area.
    KARNATAKA - On May 13, more than 20 Hindu extremists attacked a worship service in the town of Kushalnagar. The extremists destroyed Bibles, and beat several believers. They told the pastors to stop converting people to Christianity. Pray for protection for Christians in India. Ask God to heal the believers that were beaten. Acts 4:29-30

EGYPT Christians Attacked - VOM Sources
    On May 11, a mob of Muslims attacked Christians in Bahma village south of Cairo after hearing rumors that a church was to be built in the village without government permission. Muslims left their Friday prayers and attacked the homes and shops of Christians, setting the buildings on fire. At least 10 Coptic Christians were injured in the attack. People from both faiths took up sticks and hatchets and began hurling bricks and firebombs at each other. At least 27 houses and shops were damaged by fire. At last report, 59 Muslims have been arrested on charges of arson and spreading sectarian strife. Pray these Christians will be encouraged to worship together, despite opposition. Pray they will demonstrate love to their neighbors. 1 Corinthians 13

TURKMENISTAN Christian Leader Arrested in Turkmenbashi - Forum 18 News
    On May 19, Yevgeny Potolov, head of a Council of Churches Baptist congregation in Turkmenbashi, was detained by police. The police have refused to tell his wife why he is being held in a detention center. They have said the case is being handled by the secret police. Potolov's arrest comes days after Pastor Vyacheslav Kalataevsky was sentenced to three years in a labor camp for his religious activities. Pray for the two Christian leaders and their families. Pray Christians in Turkmenistan will continue to boldly share the gospel. John 17:13-19

10. #10 rizen1, Jun 7, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
    Lord bless them and Protect them

I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works. I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High. When mine enemies are turned back, they shall fall and perish at thy presence. For thou hast maintained my right and my cause; thou satest in the throne judging right. "(Psalm 9:1-4)

Prayers for June 7, 2007

RUSSIA Church Risks Losing Property and Pastor Could Face Imprisonment - VOM Sources
    On May 31, 2007, a pastor in Russia was warned to leave the area where he is ministering, after authorities threatened they would confiscate his church property. According to The Voice of the Martyrs' contacts, the church has not violated any laws, but authorities have decided to start a criminal case against them, and have threatened the pastor with imprisonment. Authorities have interrogated members of the church and threatened to take away their children. A hearing in court is scheduled for June 6, 2007. Pray for this pastor and church members. Ask God to protect them and for a favorable outcome at the hearing. Psalm 68: 29, Psalm 91: 1-6

AZERBAIJAN Arrested Baptist Pastor to Face Three Years in Prison - Forum 18 News
    Police have told members of the Baptist church in the remote village of Aliabad in north-western Azerbaijan that their pastor, Zau Balaev, is to face a criminal charge of "resisting government representatives," which carries a maximum three-year prison term. The authorities claim the pastor set a dog onto police who raided the church's Sunday service on May 20, 2007. According to Ilya Zenchenko, the head of the Baptist Union, the region around Aliabad is the worst in Azerbaijan for Baptists. "It is a place where officials insult our believers, won't allow them to gain legal status and deny birth certificates to their children," Zenchenko said. Pray for this pastor and his family. Ask God to protect them and other Christians in Azerbaijan. Pray God uses their testimony to draw non-believers into fellowship with Him. Psalm 32: 7, Psalm 91: 7-10

INDIA Missionary Threatened with Death - Gospel for Asia
    Anti-Christian extremists in Utter Pradesh have threatened to kill Gospel for Asia missionary Daya Marandi, if he does not leave the area where he is ministering. The extremists have also made threats to harm more than 50 people who worship in Daya's church and are demanding believers in the church denounce Christianity. Pray for Pastor Daya, his family and believers in India who are facing escalating persecution. Pray God encourages them to stand steadfast in their faith despite the challenges they face. Romans 5:1-5, Psalm 91: 10-14

11. #11 rizen1, Jun 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
    "He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress,my God, in whom I trust."Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence.He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge;his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." (Psalm 91:1-4)

Prayers for June 21, 2007

UZBEKISTAN
    Imprisoned Pastor Transferred to Harsher Camp – Forum 18 News/ VOM Sources

Imprisoned Pentecostal pastor, Dmitry Shestakov, has been transferred to a harsher labor camp in Navoi, Uzbekistan. The new camp is a longer distance from his wife and three children. In May 2007, Shestakov was sentenced to four years in an open work camp, in Andijan, for "religious activity." Christians in Uzbekistan told Forum 18 News, "The authorities claim he misbehaved in the open work camp and that’s why they ordered his transfer to a harsher camp. We believe this was deliberately set up." Forum 18 News reports that Pastor Shestakov’s transfer comes as authorities prepare administrative trials against members of his congregation in his home town of Andijan in the Fergana Valley in eastern Uzbekistan. Pray for Pastor Shestakov and his family. Ask God to watch over them during this difficult time. Psalm 32:7, Psalm 91:14-16

CHINA
    House-Church Leader Assaulted by Police – China Aid Association

On May 15, 2007, Liu Fenngang, a house-church leader in Beijing, was assaulted and detained by police, while he was going to a birthday celebration. According to China Aid Association (CAA), Liu’s family was threatened and told not to draw public attention to his unlawful arrest. Liu told CAA, "It was at 7:15 a.m., and I was stopped by a plain clothed police man while walking down stairs. After a bit of shoving, I managed to work my way to the bottom of the stairs. Then, more policemen confronted me, saying they had no good reason or legal basis to arrest me, but they simply couldn’t allow me to leave the building." CAA adds that some police officers told Liu they knew arresting him was illegal, but said if they let him go, they would lose their jobs. Pray Liu Fenngang and his family remain strong in their faith. Pray his health will not be affected by the assault. Isaiah 38:16, Acts 4:29-30

ERITREA
    Twenty Christians Arrested by Security Forces – VOM Sources / Release Eritrea

At least 20 Christians, including several children, were arrested and detained when security forces raided a home south of the capital, Asmara. According to Release Eritrea, authorities went to the home expecting to arrest a group of Christians gathered for prayer. When they did not find a meeting they arrested the families living in the home and several Christians in the neighborhood, including a well-known Bible teacher and church leader, Pastor Michael Abraha, of the Kale-Hiwot Baptist church. There is considerable concern for the pastor’s health because he is diabetic. Pray the arrested Christians will be encouraged. Ask God to raise up more believers in Eritrea to take the place of those who are imprisoned. Pray for Pastor Michael’s health. Psalm 91: 1-2

TURKEY
    Pray for the Families of Martyred Christians – VOM Sources

Continue to pray for the families and loved ones of three men martyred in Turkey in April. Pray God will heal their hearts and meet their needs. Some Christians have been singled out in media coverage of this case; pray for their protection and God's provision for them. Pray that Muslims in Turkey will be drawn to ask why these three men were willing to die, and through their testimonies will be drawn to faith in Christ. Psalm 68:5

12. #12 rizen1, Jun 28, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
    Jesus carries me

" Bless the LORD, O my soul;And all that is within me, bless His holy name!Bless the LORD, O my soul,And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities,Who heals all your diseases,Who redeems your life from destruction,Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies,Who satisfies your mouth with good things,So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s." " (Psalm 103:1-5)

Prayers for June 28, 2007

IRAN New Wave of Persecution in Iran – VOM Sources]

On June 19, 2007, The Voice of the Martyrs confirmed reports that believers in Iran are being detained, interrogated and in one case, imprisoned, because of their faith in Jesus Christ. According to VOM sources, this new wave of persecution is coming against Christians who meet to worship God in the privacy of their homes. VOM sources said, “We have confirmed reports that several believers have been interrogated and one house was stormed by an elite police team that confiscated a computer, several CDs and Christian materials. A Christian was arrested in this attack, and remains in prison
    .” Pray believers in Iran will remain steadfast in their faith despite this new wave of persecution. Pray for the release of the believer in prison and for protection for all Christians in Iran. Psalm 27:1-31, Joshua 1:8-9

EGYPT Muslims Attack Christian Shops and Homes in Egypt – Compass Direct News

Seven Christians were injured in two recent, unrelated attacks on Coptic Orthodox churches and Christian-owned shops in northern Egypt. According to a Compass Direct News report, on June 8, Muslim men damaged and looted Christian shops and churches in the town of Zawyet Abdel-Qader, 20 miles west of Alexandria. A number of Christians were injured while trying to defend their property. Two churches were also vandalized.
    Pray for those injured in the attacks. Pray Christians will show Christ’s love to the attackers. 3 John 2, Psalm 107:19-20

MALAYSIA Church Demolished By Authorities – VOM Sources

On June 8, 2007, government authorities demolished a church belonging to the Orang Asli tribe of indigenous Christians in Kuala Lumpur. The authorities claimed the church was built without state permission. However, according to a local church leader, the land is owned by a village head and they have the lawful right to use it as they wish. Local Christians have rejected the district office’s suggestion to rebuild a “community center” at another location and intend to rebuild the church in its original location.
    Pray these believers will continue to meet for worship and prayer while the church is being rebuilt. Pray for encouragement and protection for all Christians in Malaysia. Romans 8:28-31, Isaiah 54:17

AZERBAIJAN – Arrested Pastor Develops Heart Problems in Prison – VOM Sources

Imprisoned Baptist pastor, Zau Balaev, has been transferred to the prison infirmary because of serious heart problems. According to The Voice of the Martyrs’ contacts, Balaev’s health has been affected by the heat and poor prison conditions. “He has serious health problems. His wife has traveled several times to see him and take him some food,” the contacts said. Pray for Pastor Balaev’s release. Ask God to heal his heart condition. Pray for financial blessings for this family while the pastor is in prison. Romans 8: 11, 1 Peter 2:24

13. "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." " (Phillipians 4:6,7)

Prayers for July 6, 2007

AUSTRALIA UPDATE: AUSTRALIA – Pastors Settle Religious Vilification Case – Victoria Civil and Administrative Tribunal

Pastors Danny Nalliah and Daniel Scott have settled the religious vilification case they had been fighting in Australia’s state of Victoria for the past five years. According to a press release by the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, the Islamic Council of Victoria and Catch the Fire Ministries have agreed that citizens have the right to “robustly debate religion” and “criticize religious beliefs” within the limits of the law. The pastors have spent more than $500,000 defending their right to present their views and insights about Islam. Pray for Christians in Australia and other parts of the world to be bold witnesses for Christ despite attacks against them. 1 Corinthians 15:57; 2 Corinthians 2:14

CHINA CHINA: House-Church Leaders Detained in Shangdong and Shaanxi Provinces – China Aid Association

In June, police in China arrested church leaders and accused them of being “suspects using evil cults to obstruct the enforcement of the law.” China Aid Association (CAA), reports Public Security Bureau officers told family members of some of the detained pastors that “any religious activities without permission from the government Religious Affairs Bureau is regarded as evil cult activities.” On June 9, the 12 house-church leaders were arrested while they were distributing Bibles in a market in Shaanxi province. Four leaders were released on the same day while the rest were transferred to a detention center without any explanation. The homes of the two detained pastors, Zhou Jieming and Niu Wenbin, were searched without search warrants, and Bibles and Christian literature were confiscated. Meanwhile, on June 15, six house-church leaders were arrested while having a house church service in Zhangba village, Shangdong province.

Pray for Christians in China and ask God to encourage and give them boldness to draw nonbelievers into fellowship with Him. Romans 8:28, Isaiah 54:17

PAKISTAN PAKISTAN: Armed Muslims Attack Christians in Pakistan – VOM Sources/ Compass Direct News

On June 17, 40 Muslim men armed with guns, axes and wooden sticks attacked several believers while they were preparing for an evangelistic meeting at a Salvation Army church in the village of Bismillahlpur Kanthan, near Faisalabad. Seven Christians were injured and the church was desecrated. Local Christians said the attack was sparked by their refusal to cancel the meeting. The night before the attack armed Muslims stormed the house of Sawar Masih, one of the meeting’s organizers, and assaulted his two young children and demanded he cancel the event. Christians injured in the June 17 attack were forced to leave the hospital early because the doctors under-reported their wounds due to pressure from the Islamic extremists. Police initially refused to file a complaint against the attackers and did not so only after lobbying efforts of Christians. Several Christians have fled the area in fear of further attacks.

Pray for those hurt in the attacks. Ask God to encourage Christians in Pakistan to remain strong in their faith despite persecution. Romans 8:11, Psalm 107:20

INDIA INDIA: Christians Beaten by Hindu Extremists – VOM Sources

On June 24, a Carmelite priest and four other Christian men were attacked by a group of Hindu militants in Kundapurna, Karnataka state. While the men were in the waiting room of a hospital with a neighbor, Islamic extremists started insulting then and accused them of forcibly converting Hindus. The attackers threw the priest down a flight of stairs and beat him. When the other men came to his aid, they were also beaten. The Christians were then taken to the police station where the militants filed a complaint of forcible conversion against them. All five Christians have been hospitalized for their injuries.

Pray for healing for the injured believers. Ask God to encourage and protect Christians in India who face increased persecution. Psalm 103:1-5; Isaiah 53:4-5; 1 Peter 2:24

14. #14 rizen1, Aug 2, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
    "Commit your way to the LORD, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass."(Psalm 37:5)

TURKEY Turkish Prosecutor Demands Christians' Acquittal - Compass Direct News
    On July 18, a Turkish prosecutor demanded the acquittal of two Christians on trial for "insulting Turkishness," under the nation's controversial Article 301. State Prosecutor Ahmet Demirhuyuk told the court there was "not a single concrete credible piece of evidence" to support the accusations filed against Hakan Tastan and Turan Topal, former Muslims who converted to Christianity more than a decade ago. In court Demirhuyuk said, "There is absolutely no system or practice to consider it a crime for Christians to learn or spread their religion or gather for worship. Exactly the contrary, within the scope of freedom of religion and belief, everyone is guaranteed the right under the constitution and laws of Turkey, to live and spread his chosen faith." Pray the charges against these believers are dropped. Ask God to touch the lives of Christians in Turkey and that their lives would be a testimony to their accusers. Isaiah 26:3, Philippians 4:6,7

INDIA Christians Beaten by Police Inspector; Pastor Beheaded - VOM Sources

KARNATAKA - On July 15, while a group of Christians were gathered for worship in Thadesa, a police inspector assaulted two believers and took them to the police station. The police inspector continued to beat them for another three hours there.
    Pray for healing. Ask God to encourage believers in India and for their love to draw non-believers into the knowledge of Christ.

MANIPUR - On July 5, Pastor Pau Za Khen,

a Burmese pastor of the Upper Myanmar Evangelical Lutheran Church, was beheaded by an unidentified group in the town of Churachanpur, Manipur. Pastor Khen was abducted from his daughter's home by four men on July 4. His decapitated body was found in a field outside of town the next morning. His hands were tied behind his back and he was blindfolded.

Pray for Pastor Khen's family and ask God to touch the lives of the killers so they can find forgiveness in Christ like Saul did.
    Acts 9:1-19, Romans 8:11

CAMBODIA Christian Evangelism Banned - VOM Sources
    On July 10, Cambodia's Ministry of Cults and Religions, distributed a directive banning Christian groups from door-to-door evangelism on the grounds that it "disrupts society." The directive also said distribution of religious literature should be confined to church buildings, which can only be built with government approval. Government officials said the ruling was aimed at reducing Christian evangelism thought Cambodia.

Pray Christians in Cambodia will remain steadfast in their faith despite government opposition. Pray the testimony of believers will draw non-believers to Christ. Joshua 1:9, Isaiah 54:14

KAZAKHSTAN Home Confiscations to Follow Massive Fines - Forum 18 News
    On June 22, a mother and her young child were barred from their home as court executors sealed the Baptist church premises in Shymkent where they live to prevent the church from meeting. According to Forum 18 News Service, the move followed the church's refusal to abide by a court order halting its activity merely because it does not wish to undergo state registration. In Semey, Baptist Pastor Viktor Kandyba, his wife and their 12 children were threatened with the seizure of half their home after the pastor refused to pay a fine for leading unregistered worship.

Pray for Christians in Kazakhstan. Ask God to give them courage and encouragement to remain steadfast in their faith despite pressure for authorities. Pray for afety and provision for the families. Psalm 27:1, Psalm 91

15. North Korea and others.

I raise my voice in agreement with these prayers, Lord. Let the many of us gathered here on the Internet in Your name be heard. Remember Your people who cry to You in thier suffering and bring them help and comfort.

Amen.

16. "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven."(Ecclesiastes 3:1)

Prayers for August 9, 2007

USA The Voice of the Martyrs 2008 National Persecution Conference
    VOM's National Persecution Conference will be held at Oklahoma Wesleyan University, Bartlesville, Oklahoma, June 20-22 and June 27-29, 2008.

Pray for those involved in the planning of the conference. More details will be available in the future. Hebrews 13:3

CHINA House Church in Military Area Raided in Xinjiang – China Aid Association
    On June 1, a military house church was raided and members were detained and abused during their interrogation. According to China Aid Association, a house church at the home of Gao Hongzhi was raided by 10 Public Security Bureau officers. Six believers, including Mr. Gao, were detained for 12 hours until the following morning. One believer was beaten during the detention time. Mr. Gao's house was searched without a search warrant and Bibles, calendars and a blackboard were confiscated as 'illegal religious materials,' without official confiscation papers." Pray for continued protection for Christians in China. Ask God to encourage them and use their testimony to draw their persecutors into the knowledge of Jesus Christ. Philippians 4:19, Psalm 68:19

INDIA Christian Leaders Attacked, Christians Openly Persecuted and Stabbed – VOM Sources

RAJASTHAN – On July 25, five men attacked Emmanuel Ministries. According to The Voice of The Martyrs contacts in India, the attackers had two handguns, a sword, a large stick and numerous stones. VOM contacts report, "They started fighting Mr. Jetha, one of the ministry office staff. They shouted that they would kill M.A and Samuel Thomas, the leaders of Emmanuel Ministries, and continuously beat Mr. Jetha. They threatened that they would 'kill and willingly go to prison for six years.' In a separate incident on July 31, members of Believers Assembly Church in Sri Ganga Nagar District, Rajasthan, were summoned by the police for questioning after Hindu fundamentalists complained believers were converting local villagers. VOM contacts report, "The new believers were threatened by police and pressured to leave Christianity and return to Hinduism. They were also warned that if they fail to return to Hinduism the provisions of the Anti-Conversion Act of Rajasthan, would be used to arrest them." Pray for protection for believers in Rajasthan. Ask God to encourage them and for the Holy Spirit to comfort and minister to injured believers. Pray the testimony of believers will draw Hindus into fellowship with Christ. Isaiah 26:3

KARNATAKA – On July 29, a mob of about 15 Bajrang Dal extremists armed with clubs, cricket bats and knives attacked Believers Church, in Shimoga District, mercilessly beating the pastor. According to VOM contacts, "the attackers barged into the church and abused the Christians, using filthy language and began hitting and stabbing them. They destroyed the pulpit, chairs, musical instruments, furniture, and window panes and damaged the church walls. The pastor was also severely beaten with a cricket bat and his body was swollen." Pray for the speedy recovery of those injured. Ask God to protect Christians in Karnataka. Romans 8:11, Psalm 107:20

PAKISTAN Pakistani Jail Officials Beat Christian, Halt Bible Classes – Compass Direct News
    Pakistani officials have stopped all Bible classes for Christian prisoners in a Punjab jail, isolating an inmate who taught the classes and barring a local pastor from his weekly visits. Compass Direct News reports, "Protestant Pastor Munir Phool has been refused entry to Kasur city's district jail for his weekly visits since June 25, when Catholic prisoner Dil Awaiz was put in a high-security cell and tortured. Awaiz told Phool that Muslim inmates became angry when a Christian prisoner drank from one of their water glasses. The authorities retaliated by forcing the Christian prisoner to drink out of a glass used for cleaning toilets. Later, the authorities had Awaiz beaten and thrown in a high-security cell and deprived contact with other Christian prisoners." Pray for a speedy recovery for Awaiz and for Christians in Pakistan. Exodus 15:26, Isaiah 40:31

17. #17 rizen1, Aug 22, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
    But the LORD said to Samuel, 'Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him. For the LORD does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.'"(1 Samuel 16:7)

Prayers for August 22, 2007

PAKISTAN Religious Minorities Told to Convert or Die - VOM Sources
    Christians in northern Pakistan have been receiving letters threatening them with death if they refuse to become Muslims. The Voice of the Martyrs' contacts in Pakistan report Peshawar's minorities are living in fear after receiving dozens of letters mailed to them in August. VOM contacts report, "There have been numerous threats sent to Peshawar's Kohati area. The letters say if we don't become Muslim we will be killed." Praise God it has only been threats so far.

Pray God protects Christians in the area. Pray the testimony of believers in Pakistan will draw nonbelievers into fellowship with Jesus Christ. Psalm 27:1, Romans 8:31

CUBA Authorities Threaten Pastors with Imprisonment - VOM Sources
    In May, secret police in Cuba threatened four pastors with 25 to 50 years in prison if they continued receiving financial assistance from international ministries around the world. The pastors were forced to sign documents renouncing the help. The Voice of the Martyrs' contacts in Cuba report, "The secret police told them (pastors) that if they did not give up the financial help, they would be considered anti-revolutionary and conspirators against the government. As a result, the pastors are afraid and have not accepted help."

Pray for pastors in Cuba as they share the gospel of Jesus Christ while facing difficult conditions. Ask God to provide for the four pastors and their families, and that their lives will be a testimony to nonbelievers. PPsalm 68:19, 3 John 2

LAOS Released Laotian Pastors Express Gratitude - VOM Sources
    On August 14, The Voice of the Martyrs received a letter from Laotian Pastor Khamphuy, who was released from prison in May. Pastor Khamphuy wrote, "As one of 12 prisoners released in May, all of us want to express our appreciation for your prayers and support while we were in prison. Our wives told us that you sent help to our families and bought food and medicines for us. Thank you for sustaining our families while we were in prison." Pastor Khamphuy and 11 other pastors were arrested after attending a Christian meeting on November 21, 2006. After the release of nine in May, three pastors still remain imprisoned. Khamphuy added, "Please continue to pray for Pastors Amkha, Bua and Van Thong and their families." The Voice of the Martyrs encourages you to continue praying for the pastors in prison.

Pray they will love their persecutors and have opportunities to share the love of Jesus with them. Also, pray for God's protection for the released pastors and their families, as they continue preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ. Philippians 4:8, 1 Corinthians 15:57

CHINA Imprisoned Elderly House Church Member's Health Worsens - China Aid Association
    UPDATE:

On August 17, The Voice of the Martyrs received information that imprisoned 76-year-old Shuang Shuying is seriously ill, and her family is seeking her immediate release on medical parole. According to China Aid Association (CAA), a letter from Shuying's daughter-in-law, Wei Jumei, reports that on a recent visit the family found Shuying in poor health. Jumei's letter said, "When my family and I visited her, my mother-in-law was extremely sick. Her hands were trembling and she looked pale. Just a few hours of sleep a day has seriously damaged her health. Prior to her imprisonment she weighed 121 pounds, but now weighs 88 pounds. The verbal abuse she gets from fellow inmates and the psychological pressure she is subjected to, have made her miserable. We appeal for her immediate release on medical parole."

Pray for the healing and release of Shuang Shuying. Ask God to protect Christians in China. Psalm 118:17, Isaiah 40:31

18. Korean Hostages Told Convert to Islam or Die
    September 13, 2007

SOUTH KOREA – UPDATE: On September 12, South Korean Christian aid workers held hostage by the Taliban in Afghanistan for six weeks, reported being beaten and ordered at gun point to convert to Islam, according to the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).

According to the BBC, the former hostages told a press conference they were made to work like slaves while in captivity. Jae Chang-hee told reporters, “We were beaten with a tree branch or kicked around. Some kidnappers threatened us with death at gunpoint to force us to follow them in chanting their Islamic prayer for conversion. I was beaten many times. They pointed a rifle and bayonet at me and tried to force me to convert.” Jae Chang-hee added, “We lived like slaves. We had to level the ground for motorbikes, and get water and make a fire.”

BBC reported that Yu Jung-hwa said she thought she was going to die. “The most difficult moment, when I had a big fear of death, was when the Taliban shot a video. All 23 of us leaned against a wall and armed Taliban aimed their guns at us, and a pit was before me. They said they will save us if we believe in Islam. I almost fainted at the time and I still cannot look at cameras.”

On July 19, the Taliban kidnapped the 23 South Korean Christian aid workers when they were traveling by bus from Kabul to Kandahar. The group’s leader, Pastor Bae Hyung-kyu, and another male hostage were killed. Twenty-one members of the group were released last month following an agreement between South Korea and the Taliban.

Recalling how Pastor Bae Hyung-kyu was led away to his death, the BBC said Han Ji-young, in tears, added, “Bae didn’t even look at us when he was leaving the room. He only said, ‘Overcome with faith.’”

Continue praying for God to touch the lives of these believers as they deal with their experience in Afghanistan. Pray God comforts the families of the two that were killed. Pray the testimony of these Christians will draw non-believers into fellowship with Him.

19. #19 abigya, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
    thank you Rizen1 for posting and updating us what's been happening in the world, i am just adding on what you have posted regarding my country. My sisters accepted Christ some mounths back but as you can read below they have to hide thier faith, they formed a very small bible study groups in some homes.....thats how they are fellowshiping

Eritrea
    Although the constitution of Eritrea proclaims that "every person shall have the freedom to practice any religion and to manifest such practice," in recent times, an increasingly hostile Eritrean government has commenced actively targeting and persecuting Christians for their faith.
    The President, Isaias Afworki is known to adhere to Marxist ideologies. He is not only the chief of state, but the head of government, State Council and the National Assembly. Many observers see the President as becoming a dictator. He has become increasingly opposed to civil society groups such as students, journalists, Muslims and especially Christians.

On 21 May 2002, President Afworki ordered all churches to be closed, pending approval for government "registration". Members of these churches were forbidden for meeting, even in private homes. The order has resulted in the closure of over 26 church groups so far, including the Assembly of God, Full Gospel and the Rhema Charismatic Church - affecting up to 20,000 Christians. However, the ban excluded the Orthodox, Lutheran and Catholic denominations, because of their "historical existence" in Eritrea. The Seventh Day Adventist Church was granted registration in April 2005.

The President, in justifying his decision, has claimed that independent churches threaten the unity of Eritrea and distort religion. Some observers, such as expelled BBC correspondent Jonah Fisher propose the government is "afraid that people who consider their highest allegiance to be to God, at some point may not be patriotic and follow the state's instructions."

What is the current situation in Eritrea?
    Many Christians in Eritrea have been locked in shipping containers by the government in an attempt to force them to renounce their Christian faith.

Currently, 17 evangelical pastors and more than 900 Christians remain incarcerated in prisons, police stations, military camps and shipping containers. They have not been charged with any offences, nor have there been any trials held.
    While the Eritrean government denies there is any religious repression, there are regular reports of the arrests of people attending home Bible studies, meeting for prayers, attending Christian wedding ceremonies, or even participating in family devotionals.

29-year old Helen Berhane, an Eritrean singer, has been detained by the military since 13 May 2004, after releasing a CD of Christian music. Helen is reportedly being held in a shipping container at the Mai Serwa military camp, until she agrees to sign a paper recanting her faith and promising not to continue to participate in Christian activities.
    After international exposure and a day of prayer and fasting by Christians around the world, 91 Christian prisoners were released from the Sawa Military camp on 6 August 2005. Pray that this might be a sign of improvement for the Christian faithful in Eritrea.

Blessings
    abigya

20. Thank you sister, my prayers are with them.