• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Prayer Request For My Relationship

Hello everyone,

My name is Maria. I was wondering if you could all touch and agree with me and pray regarding my relationship. My boyfriend has been going through a depression and it's been causing a huge riff between us, to the point where I'm giving him space for a whole month. I want to know what God's will is regarding our relationship, Is this an attack from the enemy or Is it God saying that this relationship is not for me?

Staff Member
Greetings Maria, @mmartin3735

How is everything for you now?
Perhaps see like this:
boyfriend depressed, you giving space, you wondering and concerned about relationship = as a Christian, see the needs of the boyfriend as something to be prayerful about and let the Lord Jesus send healing and direction for you both.

Consider all you do as before the Lord in your relationship. If you are doing things that might be a rift between what God wants and yourselves. [I am not suggesting you are doing anything wrong - you will know that] and know that sometimes the situation we are in is a result of our God wanting us to change our ways and for the better and to His glory that He may be glorified in and through you and your lives. However, you may also see that the boyfriend is needing your prayerful kindness as, if you are to continue on in this relationship as a life long commitment, you will both need to be able to look outside yourselves to God and be willing for Him to be the centre and fullness of your lives.
Often we can and do get so stuck in our own lives that we forget God and hHe becomes a handy attachment to bail us out of every problem and we spend hours praying for Him to do this or that with the other person.
In relationships we should seek the Lord to lay the foundation that remains and in doing so, to know that He is that foundation. He can direct our paths if we look to Him and acknowledge Him in all our ways, not trusting in our ways and what we think is OK and sound. A bit like building on either a rock or on sand.

Bless you both in Jesus name ....><>

Active
Hello everyone,

My name is Maria. I was wondering if you could all touch and agree with me and pray regarding my relationship. My boyfriend has been going through a depression and it's been causing a huge riff between us, to the point where I'm giving him space for a whole month. I want to know what God's will is regarding our relationship, Is this an attack from the enemy or Is it God saying that this relationship is not for me?
I have no idea. I would run to the high hills, but if you want to lay down your life for someone. I would say at least stop the relationship and if he heals and stays stable for at least 2 years you can think about it. Derek Prince used to be depressed, but I don't think he had a relationship then. He had to be set free and learn how to fight it.
I had a relationship with a guy who was depressed. I have no patience for that whatsoever. Never work, always whine, take drugs. I helped him by warning him with hell, when he wanted to kill himself. He didn't believe. His mom would be grateful if she knew. He went to the lake with shave blades and wanted to kill himself. Always when the kids came, he would flip out, cause he didn't want em to come.
I'd say: run. You can't fix that for him. He needs to go to a place where he gets prayer and gets set free and be taught how to fight it.

Loyal
Greetings Maria

It is good that you have asked for prayer, we should never try live through these issues on our own.

It is clear to see Maria, that you love him, you really care for your relationship and for what your partner is going through.

You say he is suffering depression, I have been through depression to the lowest of lows, it is not a pleasant place to be for sure.

May I ask Maria, are you married? And regarding your partner, is he born again also, and is the depression he is suffering from due to relationship issues, work or other items. If you feel it hard to say, or do not want to I totally understand. Knowing helps us pray together, sing off the same hymn sheet so to speak, we come into agreement together, in faith, and as the issues at the Lord's feet in prayer.

Br. Bear above has given you some helpful advice, no matter what the situation we go through, get right with God, this is an important foundation often starting with opening your heart to God through Jesus, repenting of the errors and submitting to God in Faith.

I nearly lost my wife and children due to my faith, it was so close, I share what I was told and it works, but it takes time. God's speed.

No matter what you go through, love one another as Jesus loves us, never argue, let the peace of God teach your heart and lips, I am not saying you argue Maria, but just mentioning to avoid it. In all you do, share your God given love, let Christ shine from you, He is the Light of the World. Also try talk together, ask and listen to what he is going though and trying to cope with, let him know gently what you are going through, share in love.

In all you do sister, have Faith, remain hopeful, and love him always. The greatest of these is Love.

Trust in the Lord always. He will guide your path.

Love brings healing sister, please do keep in touch, Jesus loves you we do too.

The following scripture helped me in those very hard times. Romans 8:28

Bless you