Prayer and Miracles - How Powerful Is God?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal Member
Have you as a Christian ever seen a Miracle?
I had a Christian tell me not long ago that God doesn't do miracles anymore. In fact they believed that the gifts of prophecy, healing and miracles didn't exist anymore. I'm not sure I agree with that, but on the other hand, I don't believe anyone ever had the power to do any of these things on their own (without God's power) I believe most Christians who believe that divine Miracles still happen, would tell you that even though they themselves might "have the gift", the power comes from God.

So do divine Miracles still happen? What constitutes a divine Miracle? I mean really, when is a miracle a miracle?
How powerful is God?
Almost all Christians I know pray for things. Jobs, finances, wisdom, and yes.. healing... different kinds of healing. Emotional healing, spiritual healing, and of course physical healing. Physical healing means different things. Anything from a cold or flu, to something like a broken bone or surgery, and perhaps something major like cancer, blindness, reverse brain damage or even coming back to life.

So where do we draw the line on how powerful God is?
He is powerful enough to get us a job, heal our colds and flu, but not powerful enough to heal cancer or blindness?
To me, either he has the power to do things, or he doesn't. I don't believe there is a limit to his power.
Interestingly enough, the person who told me God didn't do miracles anymore, still asked God to do certain things for her. Usually "smaller" things like help with grades at school, or help with financial decisions.

What makes miracles happen? Well in Jesus' time it seems a lot of it had to do with faith.
( Matt 9:22, Matt 9:29, Matt 15:28, Mark 5:34, Mark 10:52, Luke 7:50, Luke 8:48, Luke 17:19, Luke 18:42, Acts 14:9, etc... )
Not Jesus' faith but the faith of the person doing the asking. Jesus already knew he could do it. ( Matt 8:26, Matt 14:31, John 11:39-43 )

In fact in Matt 13:58 we see Jesus did not do many miracles in a certain region "because of their unbelief".
I wonder if that's still the reason many miracles don't happen today? Maybe we just don't believe God can do it anymore? ( Heb 11:6 )

After all, God heals the colds and flu for the unsaved masses; non-Christians get jobs and the occasional financial blessing.
Maybe we explain many things that God does off to medicine and doctors. (I do not dispute that they help)
Sometimes maybe the greatest miracles that happen, are the ones we don't see. A fixed marriage, a restored heart, the ability to forgive, the ability to love an enemy. Are these any less miracles?

Back to the original question... if God doesn't do miracles, then why should we even ask him for anything? Why even pray at all?
Well, I suppose there is value in proclaming he is God, and worshipping him and praising his name, confessing sin and asking forgiveness, but that's different from asking him for a miracle. So if he doesn't do miracles anymore.. where do we draw the line on how powerful God is these days? How do we decide when something is "too much" to ask for because God obviously isn't that powerful? ( James 4:2 )

... food for thought...

Last edited:
Good article.

Great Article there B-A-C. Wish you could have been through some cool things with me God has done.

Your friend sounds like one baptist friend I had. He would have nothing to do with those Miracles, and irritated him when I spoke in tongues.

Since we were in prison together, his bunk was right across mine. At the time I was leading all the men in the wing in prayer and bible study, and seven of the men wanted their good time from the State of IL. It seemed they kept getting denied their six months off.

My friend was one of them, and one night at bible study I got a word from the Lord. We were to agree together that the good time would come, and not ask again, but settle it once and for all. We did that.

My friend was not into this claiming something and calling it done, but he just followed along just in case it worked. We have authority in the name of Jesus, and we are the Children of the most High. You get a revelation of who daddy is, you start to get pretty bold.

Well, my friend got sick, and I asked several times If I could at least put my hand on him and pray, but he assured me that what ever the will of God was, it would be done.

3rd night and I guess he was so sick he came to wake me up and asked me to pray. I did, and commanded that sickness to go away in Jesus name.

The next morning was miracle morning I suppose. An officers called all seven of those Christian men into an office. My friend was completely well, and his name also called. Each one that same day got their good time.

The greatest thing is all the unsaved prisoners noticed that, knew we prayed about that a week or so ago. The goodness of God draws people.

Now just believe.

Jesus Is Lord.

So .. where do we draw the line on how powerful God is these days?

... food for thought...
We need a line? :shock:

Tell you what, how about we feed that food to the birds...
and watch as they raise a quizzical eye to Father...
and chirp...'Father aint those humans s`posed to be brighter than us?'

Up from the grave He arose...

Up from the grave He brought you and I...

Not sure how much miracle we are looking for, but I`d say if we drew a line in the sand, the sand would spit on us, if we drew a line in the rocks, the rocks would cry out, and if we drew a line in the ocean it would roll over us, if we drew a line in the sky, the birds of the air would laugh...

K, seriously...sorry I could`nt take this question seriously.

How powerful is God.

Mat 19:26
But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.

Mar 9:23
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.
This is a great Question. It's one that many believers contemplate. How is God going to bring in the money to pay these bills? The doctor said there is no hope, the cancer destroyed some of my major organs, how can God repair me?

All faith is washed up in some that can't see a possible way, or thing God can use to bring something to pass. I know, I have helped many in this area, and been in that place myself.

It's real easy to sit back and say that God can do anything, and bla, bla, bla..........................That is easy.

It's a whole other ball game when it's your child in the hospital, and told they will be dead the next morning. I also been here.

Mar 9:22
And ofttimes it hath cast him into the fire, and into the waters, to destroy him: but if thou canst do any thing, have compassion on us, and help us.

Good question, it's one that Jesus answered. He changed the question though. The man wanted to know if there was any power or ability available to help his son. Can God do this?

Jesus said, IF YOU CAN BELIEVE, ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!

The question is not if God can. God can, up to where your ability to believe Stops. IF you can Believe it, then it's possible.

So then, Miracles come from our own decision to believe or not.
That is where Miracles come from.

Gal 3:5
He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? (Take heed to what you hear, What measure you give it, it shall be measured back to you, and to him that keeps hearing, giving Measure, more shall be given Mark Chapter 4)

The other condition, and main issue for Christians

God's Will

Jesus answered this question also.

Luk 5:12 And it came to pass, when he was in a certain city, behold a man full of leprosy: who seeing Jesus fell on his face, and besought him, saying, Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Most of the Christian population pray this way. "Lord I know you can move mountains, and created all things, Please Lord if it be your will, please heal me."

Jesus covered if God can, Now Jesus is going to cover the other objection.

The objection if it's God's will to heal, or help out.

The man full with Leprosy (Luke being a doctor giving vivid detail about the mans condition) asked if it was the Lord's will to help him.

What did Jesus say?

Now, now............ We can't always explain these things. God Has reasons for why he allows certain things, and He is just refining you in some mysterious way. I have to pray, and make sure it's his will to heal you, we just never know.
Some believe that is what Jesus would have said, or should have said.

WHAT DID THE HEAD OF OUR CHURCH TELL US!!!!!!!!

Luk 5:12 ..............Lord, if thou wilt, thou canst make me clean.

Luk 5:13 ................. I will: be thou clean. ................

Jesus Is Lord.

Yes I have personally experienced three miracles, that are medically verifiable with Doctors reports. I am not talking about things like I has a big pain and someone on the 699 club has a word of knowledge and I was instantly healed...that's too open for question.

In 1967 I has a near deadly fungus nearly kill me while I was in the US NAVY, spent 8 months in a Naval Hospital and was given a druf in IV for over 230 days. I came as close to going home to Abba as anyone can. Even the Doctors were thrilled I lived.

In 2003 I had cancer. I was treated with radition and became violently ill and was so sick the doctors wanted me to stop treatments. I was able with the help of the LORD to complete the treatements. I have been cancer free until this year.

In 2004 I could barely breathe and was taken to the hospital ER. After xrays and a CAT scan I was told my lungs had so many clots I was not expected to live. My wife and I planed my funeral, no one expected me to live. Icalled my pastor and my wife and the pastor annointed me with oil. I asked to please pray that I was be in the center of Gods will. I did not ask to be healed, I just wanted to be where God wanted me to be and do. 40 days later I was feeling so good I asked to please have another CAT scan. 2 hours after the CAT scan my wife and m were told there were no clots remaining in my lungs! My doctors wna nurses were completely dumb founded. The radiologist who has been the head of Xray department at this hospital for many years said the following; "in all my thirty two years as a doctor I hace never seen anyone with so many clots in their lungs live. You have been healed by Jesus Christ" The doctor knew I was a Christian and he was as well. The doctor said no one would ever believe me unless I had the before and after CAT scans to show, so he gave my wife and me copies to show anyone who wanted or doubted our healing. I have given groups of people proof and medical people are shocked and can hardly believe it. I give all the glory to my Lord.

All three instances are medically miracles, and we have the evidence to prove it. No one but Jesus Christ has glory from this, and my love for the Lord grows because He touched me.

Now I want to add this, when we demand that God heal us, and lets say I have asked many people to ask I get healed. How does it effect those who just barely believe in Jesus when I am not healed? But when we ask Jesus to put us in His will, then no matter what happens to us God is glorified! We as Christians are here in this world to bring Glory to God! I hope someone will be helped by my sharing about how God has been so tenderly with me and my many health problems. I have many other factual things that God has dealt so lovingly with me, and I do not deserve anything, praise the LORD! By the way Brother Mike, I am a Baptist who once said I doubted miracles. LOL

Last edited:
Loyal Member
3rd night and I guess he was so sick he came to wake me up and asked me to pray. I did, and commanded that sickness to go away in Jesus name.

The next morning was miracle morning I suppose. An officers called all seven of those Christian men into an office. My friend was completely well, and his name also called. Each one that same day got their good time.
This is great testimony, thanks for sharing. :smile:

Loyal Member
In 2003 I had cancer. I was treated with radition and became violently ill and was so sick the doctors wanted me to stop treatments. I was able with the help of the LORD to complete the treatements. I have been cancer free until this year.

All three instances are medically miracles, and we have the evidence to prove it. No one but Jesus Christ has glory from this, and my love for the Lord grows because He touched me.

By the way Brother Mike, I am a Baptist who once said I doubted miracles. LOL
Praise God we have a Redeemer who is alive and well and answers prayers! :smile:

Loyal Member
Have you as a Christian ever seen a Miracle?
I don't even call them miracles anymore.I have a natural explanation.
God is real and he gave us his word so it is simply enforcing the Truth(Jesus is the Truth) over that which appears to be true.Healing is natural and health is the true nature of the new creature created in Christ.

I grew up in a large Catholic family and miracles were fairly common.
They(mother and grandmothers) knew that God was Love and that Jesus took our sin but they didn't know much else.
They had this uncanny sense that everything worked together for good and they did not even know that scripture actually does say that.
The Bible was just a decoration but love abounded.
I have seen what love,faith and fervent prayer could do even without the knowledge of scripture.

How much more can be done with love and joy calling forth God's finished work by standing on his word speaking his will into our lives and the lives of those we are to feed.

Jesus said "Peter feed my sheep".
Prayer:Lord send sheep feed.

Last edited:
Healing...........

Farout:
Now I want to add this, when we demand that God heal us, and lets say I have asked many people to ask I get healed. How does it effect those who just barely believe in Jesus when I am not healed? But when we ask Jesus to put us in His will, then no matter what happens to us God is glorified!
How does it effect those that barley know Jesus if many go to hell, yet Salvation is already bought, paid for, and finished?

Did you read what I posted above? What is the Lords will concerning Healing? Luke 5 the man asked him if it be your will Lord to Heal me. Jesus responded, I WILL, BE THOU CLEAN!!!!

Is there any Place where our Lord, the Head of the Church told someone it was not his will? Had Jesus changed any? Did he not say if you seen me, you seen the father?

This is where misunderstanding, bad doctrine Kill many. Jesus answered the question from the man that asked if it be his will to heal him. There is a very good reason that passage of scripture is in the Word, hand picked by the Holy Spirit, when if everything Jesus did was recorded, it would fill volumes. Yet the Holy Spirit choose that one place where Jesus spoke about his will concerning healing.

We ought to take Heed to everything Jesus said. It can save us, and save us from big issues down the road. Ignoring it, we do so to our own destruction.
Demanding from God:

I can show scripture where we have a right to demand something from God. It's not really faith though. Demanding something from God after he already said it was ours is pretty silly, and certainly does not change God any. We can put a demand on the scripture and ourselves. In other words we don't let go of the Word, and become weary, we stay with it, and stay in faith as God gives us more revelation about our situation. Demand might not be the right word for some, as I found out.

Thy Will be Done

There is no place in the Bible we are told to ask this way concerning healing, rent money, a place to live, family restoration, so on........

NOT ONE PLACE!!

To pray this way, is to be way out of line concerning scriptures, and certainly don't expect results. If you were new to the Word, then yes, I have seen God do things for babies, but I certainly could not get away with this.

Thy Will be done prayers are spoken about in James, and Jesus prayed that. It means we are not willing to brag and do what we want, but only want to do as the Lord wants. It's prayer for direction, and in the case of Jesus, it was a prayer of dedication. Jesus already knew God's will before he asked the cup to be taken, already knew the answer. He was fighting flesh, and yet was obedient unto his death.

Farout:
If your having trouble now brother there is a better way. It's not demanding, it's agreeing.

1Jn 5:14
And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

Asking if it be thy will, or your will be done, is not going to cut it.

Eph 5:17 Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

If we do not know his will concerning healing, we have no confidence, and can't even be sure he heard us. If he heard us, we have what we asked for, OUR PETITION!!! Not some blessing in disguise, that is mysterious.

Look at this.............

Deu 28:61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed.

All sickness was designed to destroy you, and take away your quality of life. It has no other purpose. It came because of disobedience.

Deu 28:15 But it shall come to pass, if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all his commandments and his statutes which I command thee this day; that all these curses shall come upon thee, and overtake thee:

This is where sickness came from, out of the curse of the Law. It came for disobedience, yet can operate without even sinning. The Curse is on this earth.

Rom 5:14
Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

Sickness, poverty, sudden death, accidents, can all operate without sin. Being under the Law of faith now, they can operate if we accept them.

Gal 3:13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

You have been made free of anything mentioned in that curse. The curse came for disobedience. Jesus bore the punishment we deserved. He took care of the eternal side, and took care of what sin caused here on earth.

So, you can get in agreement with God, and thank him that you are free from the curse, free from sickness, That cancer can not have your body, Your body was bought with a price, and you are not your own. You can thank God that you see in his word that your are the Healed, you have life abundantly, with long life he will sastify you, and your not going anywhere until every thing God called you to do is completed.

You also tell the devil he is not big enough to take you out, and What God did for you in the Past, tell the devil Your father will certainly perform it again. Be encouraged.

Jesus Is Lord.