• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Pray for Mike @simpleservant

I'm requesting prayer for my friend Mike who collapsed late on the 16th or early on the 17th and is now in the hospital in the very end stages of widespread lymphoma. Please pray for the peace that passeth understanding for him and for his family. Mike is only 51 and has been such a vital part of the Christian community in his hometown of Nashville. Even when he was no longer able to stand in the pulpit preaching, he was writing sermons for his blog and posting those sermons on select Christian forums. He put 3 sermons here on TJ over the past week or so, and a testimony.

Dear LORD,

We thank you for godly, holy men who preach Your word unwaveringly in a world where the truth of Your word is getting buried in multiple ways.

I thank You, LORD, upon every remembrance of Mike as he has been Your faithful witness and a wonderful friend to the brethren.

I ask that thy will be done, in Jesus' name, amen.

I pray for the Holy Spirit to bring comfort and peace to Mike and his family and those that love him.

Father, I thank and praise You for our brother in Christ, Mike. You have used him to be such a blessing to all those who have had the honor of meeting him or hearing his words. I praise You for giving us one who has done so much for You but still has the heart of a Simple Servant. Be with him now as he prepares to enter into Your Glory. Comfort him, give him peace and strength as he takes the last few steps into Your kingdom.
Be with those that remain. Comfort us, let us not be discouraged but rather let us rejoice for in him we have seen You. Thank You for his life that has glorified You in so many ways.
Above all, let Your will be done.
We thank You and praise You and give You the glory in all things.
I ask these things in the name of Your Son, Jesus.
Amen

Staff Member
Joining in prayer for your friend simpleservant

It is wonderful to know that his home is in heaven, for ever with the Lord

Keep us updated @grandmamary1219

For I know that my Redeemer liveth
Job 19:25

Last edited by a moderator:
A little good news about Mike @simpleservant posted elsewhere this afternoon. I pray it will be allowable to "transplant" the post to this thread...

Continued prayers would nevertheless be greatly appreciated, and I thank you all for attention to this request for the next few days until perhaps Mike can rejoin our forum here!

Wanted to give an update on Mike. The doctor is hoping he will be strong enough to be able to go home on Tuesday, at least that is the goal as it stands now. He will be under medical care at home, but I know he will be glad to be there. I am sure he will post a message to everyone as soon as he can. If it is not before he gets home, then sure it will be shortly after he gets home. Thank all for your prayers, they mean tons to all of us! Often Mike has told several of us about the forum, and the fellowship. I know several of us will soon be joining the forum, and sharing in that fellowship also. I will make sure to let him know how many have been praying for him.

Thank you Brad for praying!

Continuing in prayer for Mike @simpleservant, lifting him up to God's throne of grace where Jesus is interceding for all His brethren. John Chapter 17

Mike is still hanging in there and may be discharged to care at home tomorrow afternoon. Please keep praying saints! Thanks...

Updated report...
Wanted to let all know that Mike will be going home later tomorrow afternoon unless something comes up. He is very tired and weak, and will need daily medical attention, but is glad to be going home again. He wanted me to thank all of you for all your prayers, and the family would like to thank you also. It is still hard for him to talk much, but he is still in great spirits. He told me to let all know he looks forward to soon being able to post again himself, and thanking all of you personally.

Updated report from Mike @simpleservant himself!

From earlier this morning prior to discharge from the hospital, Mike writes:

Well, I put in my application for the “Walmart Greeter” of the gates of Heaven, but they told me the position was not quite available yet! lol All kidding aside, I am glad to be going home later today. I am still very weak, and limited as to what I can now do, but I am still hanging in there and available for whatever the Lord may send my way!

I want to say a special Thank You to all the family and friends who have thought of me, and found their way to their knees to pray for me. In our times of need, nothing says more about us than to be able to look around and see all those who surround us in prayer. With this in mind, I see just how truly blessed I am! I want to thank each of you for being one of those that has surrounded me. And I do not for a second want any of you to think that I take those thoughts and prayer for granted. My life is living proof that those prayers are not only heard, but felt.

During the last few days, I have heard it said many times, “We are just glad you are still with us”, or, “We do not want you to suffer, and pray the Lord will take you first”(By the way, I am not suffering!). Although it is truly a blessing to have so many people care about you, my answer each time has been a simple one. I will be here as long as the Lord needs me here. And when He needs me there more, there is where I will be. I joked earlier about a job I would love to have in Heaven, but in all reality, the Lord has already blessed me to have that job here. Each day I try to greet people with a warm and honest greeting, that reflects the love of His voice and the truth of His Word. And each day as I talk to those I meet, I try to point them in His direction, so they may be guided easier to their true destination, and so they may fulfill the purpose that brought them here. Many, MANY days I have failed at this job miserably! I have allowed this world to distract me, and not been there to greet countless many. I have often times not given them the direction they sought. And so often I have complained to my “Employer” about my own frustrations, instead of listening quietly to Him as He tells me how I can perform my job more effectively. But each day He is patient with me, and He is there with the same welcoming smile when my shortcomings fail me, as He is when I succeed in the opportunities that only He can give me. I do not know for a second what He sees in me, but I do know how much I love this job because each day He is right there beside me! I may not now be able to stand at the door welcoming all, and may have to sit in a chair the few hours and minutes I can work this job each day. I may not have the energy to work this job as I once could. But because of Him, I still have the passion, and I still have the willingness to serve at this job each day. Not one day goes by that I do not realize just how blessed I am to have this job. This is not a job I could ever retire from. And I will do this job for as long as He will have me!

Just know, that if the day soon comes that you do not hear my voice greeting you, it is not that I have left this job. It is just that my amazing “Employer” has relocated me!

Thank each of you once again!

I wanted to take a minute and thank each of you for your thoughts and your prayers! Thank you for asking the Lord to comfort and uplift me. There is a comfort than uplifts us in knowing, that whatever we may face, His hands cover us, and His love surrounds us!

Mike was home since my last update here until last Sunday at which time he became very ill once again and had to be admitted to the hospital. He has been receiving pain medicines and supportive care all week, and the hospital is planning on discharging him home again tomorrow for more hospice care in his own home.

For anyone who would be interested in knowing more of Mike's story, I encourage you to read a sermon he posted here on TJ a while back. http://www.talkjesus.com/sermons/50270-rhythmless-invited-dance.html

And I ask that you keep Mike in your thoughts and prayers if you have the time to hold a fellow believer up to the throne of grace before the LORD.

It won't be long before Mike gets his call to come home to that throne room for his "Well done good and faithful servant" commendation from our LORD.

Thanks one and all...

My friend Mike was discharged to home this afternoon for monitored care in the comfort of his own bed and house. He is extremely weak and not able to talk much.

Just about one day prior to being admitted Mike wrote this last sermon he posted on his blog. Please take time to read it. I promise you will be blessed.

May God bless you richly.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now I Lay Me....

By Dr. Mike Murphy
November 8, 2014

You had better be asleep by the time I get there!” She heard herself saying the words as if robotic. Words it seems she had to repeat every night. But that was life with a five year old son, repeating the same words over and over each day.

As she reached his room, she could already hear the constant moving. As she peeped around the corner of the door, she found her son still sitting up in the middle of the bed. “I thought I told you to get to sleep!

Mama, I can’t go to sleep yet, we forgot something!

She waited for the rest. She thought she had heard it all, so she began looking around the room for whatever animal or toy he wanted to sleep with him. She just wished that for one night this could be made simple. For one night she could get him to bed without a thousand distractions. That for one night she could find a little peace and quiet, without hearing her named called fifty times before she laid down herself.

But what her little boy said next shocked her, and brought her to a speechless silence. “Mama, I can’t go to sleep yet, God would not be happy. We haven’t said our prayers!” The moment froze her, and as she found the smile forming on her face, she looked into the eyes of her young son. She watched as her boy climbed out of the bed, and got on to his knees beside it. As she watched him, she found her way to her own knees. She then watched as his small fingers came together, as his hand became one to pray.

What prayers do you want me to say tonight?”, she so softly asked her son.

I know the words Mama, I will say the prayer. Is it okay if I talk to God tonight?” As the tears formed in the corner of her eyes, what other answer could she possibly have to this question. “Of course! I am sure the Lord would love to hear from you!

As she finished her own words, she heard her son begin to pray. “Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake. I pray the Lord my soul to take. God bless Mama, and.......

Words every parent has heard more times than they can count. Words that filled our own youth, and words we still know by heart. The words of such a simple prayer, but a prayer that is filled with more than just simple words.

Besides the Lord’s Prayer and Psalm 23, no other prayer has probably been said more. Ask one hundred men and women about this prayer, and you will be shocked by how many can still recite you every word. And as you ask each, you will see the instant smile come to their face as they remember the words of this prayer.

Although so many know the words, few know the history of the prayer. History tells us little about the prayer, including its’ origins and its’ author. Much like the Serenity Prayer, this children’s prayers in not found in the Bible, but does seem to be formed from one of the verses. Psalm 4:8, “In peace I will both lie down and sleep, for You alone, O Lord, make me to dwell in safety.

The prayer, as we know it, first appeared in print in the New England Primer in the 1737 edition. Benjamin Harris, a Boston publisher, included the prayer in his book, and the book soon rocketed in popularity. The ninety page book soon became the standard by which the early colonies used in teach reading to school children, and continued to be that standard until 1790. It is estimated that over two million copies sold during the 18th century, and although it would become known as a children’s prayer, it was originally seen as a prayer for all ages. It is reported that President John Adams recited this prayer every night before he went to sleep

Although the prayer became popular as it was printed in the children’s reading primer, little is none of the origins of the prayer. Many have linked its’ origins back to the popular English nursery rhyme titled, Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. “Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, guard the bed that I lie on; Four corners to my bed, four angels ‘round my head; One to watch and one to pray, and two to bear my soul away.” Others have linked it to Joseph Addison, and an essay he wrote for the Spectator in March of 1711. “When I lay me down to sleep, I recommend myself to His care; When I awake, I will give myself up to His direction.

So which version is true? I do not know, and do not even think it matters. Many may question who the original author is, I do not. I believe the author of this simple prayer is the same Author that gave us the Lord’s Prayer and Psalm 23. And when we look at the words of this prayer, it soon becomes obvious that only One could have given them to us. The innocence and the simplicity of this prayer could only have come at the Hands of the One above!

The prayers reminds us, that in those moments when we are unaware of the world around us, our Lord is still there, caring for us and protecting us in the mercy of His Hands. The first line, “Now I lay me down to sleep”, reminds us of the reality of each day. We are made aware that each of our days will come to an end, and what better way can we end each day than to spend a few restful and peaceful moments with the Lord who made us. God’s Word tells us, “When you lie down, you will not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet.”(Proverbs 3:24). Just as the Lord is there to guide us through each of our days, He is also there to protect and watch over us through each of our nights.

The second lines tells us, “I pray the Lord my soul to keep”. The Bible tells us, “The Lord is your keeper, the Lord is your shade on your right hand.”(Psalm 121:5). Our prayer each night reminds us of the One who is the keeper of our soul. The One who keeps a watchful eye over us, and who we entrust to also protect us. Ask yourself, who else but our Lord could we ever entrust our soul too?

The next line says to us, “And if I die before I wake”. In this line of the prayer, we can take the greatest of comfort. Paul addressed this line of the prayer, with the most powerful of questions. “O death, where is your victory? O death, where is your sting?”(1 Corinthians 15:55). Our faith in Christ brings us a certainty, a certainty that death holds no power over us. A certainty that death can bring no fear to us. A certainty of knowing, that this breath may be the last I take on this earth, but will not be the last breath I take for eternity. We have the blessed assurance of knowing, that this breath will not be our last!

The last line of the prayer tells us, “I pray the Lord my soul to take.” What a powerful ending to such a simple prayer! No greater request could we make than to desire to spend our eternity with our Lord! Romans 10:13 assures us, “For whoever will call upon the name of the Lord, will be saved.” Because of what Christ has done for each of us, the promises that our faith in Him brings us, nothing that we may face should ever scare us. He alone has made the unknown known to us. And has made our future secure before us!

No greater beauty can be found than in the four lines of this simple prayer. A prayer that so simply shows us the promise of our assurance. A prayer that shows us the reality of who we are, and the desire of where the Lord longs for us to be. Four simple lines that show us just what an amazing gift this life is, and the love and assurance He offers us with this gift. A giftful beauty that can even be seen through the eyes of a child, heard in their words as they speak a simple prayer.

Although we are called to mature, and grow beyond a childlike faith, I pray I never grow beyond a childlike trust. As a child, without question, will leap into the open arms of a parent, I pray I will always approach the arms of the Lord with the same trust. With the same assurance that those arms will never fail me, will always be there to catch me. A trust that with each night my life is not filled with fear of what tomorrow may bring, but with the assurance and trust of the beauty that tomorrow will offer. And as I lie down at the end of this day, I praise the Lord for each word of a prayer that my childhood taught me, and the promise that each word of that prayer still brings me. Praise the Lord that I am His child!

Praying each of you will never outgrow this simple prayer!

ChristCalls

In memory of our brother who was promoted to Heaven yesterday.

Thank You Mike

I’ve known you though we’ve never met
I’ve never seen your face.
But more important I have seen
The way you walked in Grace.

You’ve touched so many by your walk
An Ambassador of God
Praising Him for everything
Along the path you’ve trod.

From the time you met our Savior
And claimed Him as your own
You’ve spread the message of His Love
It’s Christ and Christ alone.

We thank and love you, brother
Your humbleness inspires
God sought a willing vessel
And that was your desire.

He filled you with His Spirit
Who gave you such wise words
You proclaimed them boldly
For His message must be heard.

Now you’ve gone before us
Your time on Earth has passed
You sit before our Savior’s feet
You’re home with Him, at last.

So even though we’ve never met
I know we soon shall meet.
Then I can see you face-to-face
Before our Savior’s feet.

Just a note to let you know that my friend Mike passed away peacefully at home yesterday, and spent Thanksgiving partly on earth and partly in heaven. It seems appropriate that the LORD would call him home on Thanksgiving Day, since Mike was certainly full of thanksgiving and grace in the LORD. I shall miss him, but definitely am comforted by knowing we will meet in the throne room of heaven some time soon. I am forever changed by knowing Mike Murphy and shall not ever forget him. He was the most godly and humble man I've known, like a modern day Apostle in my opinion.

Rest in peace Mike Murphy, my friend.

An absolutely beautiful poem, Ljot. As you know, I've been wanting to write one for Mike and have just been suffering "writer's block" in the matter. I appreciate you stepping up to the plate for me!

I am picturing Mike dancing before The Lord with a smile on his face !! It's amazing the people God puts into our lives to share in the joy. I have friends like that. They are rare gems. But to be cherished forever!! Grandmamary , God has blessed you also with a rare gem in Mike. This is how I imagine Heaven. Only love.