• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Christ centered community forums.

Join over 10,000 worldwide members today

Register Log In

• Hi Guest!

I've added a brand new "Night Mode" option to our site design. I'd greatly appreciate your vote on this poll here.

To switch to night mode (or back to light/default theme) simply click on the "Site Menu" icon on top and on the dropdown choose "Switch to Night Mode" or "Switch to Light Mode"

Thank you.

Population and the Age of The Earth

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Population and the age of the earth

“And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it…” (Genesis:1:28).

How long have people been living on the Earth? The evolutionist says two million years. The Bible-believing Christian says about six thousand. Who is right?

Statistically, a couple must have 2.1 children to keep a population at the same level. In practice, this means a minimum of three children per family. Let us suppose for a moment that the biblical account of the Genesis Flood in which just eight people survived is true. Let us further suppose that each family from this point in history had 2.4 children on average. This very modest number will take into account all the deaths through infant mortality, plagues and war. How long would it take to reach today’s world population? Surprisingly, the answer is just less than five thousand years. This figure fits nicely into known historical records.

Now suppose we take the evolutionary view that mankind has been on this planet for two million years and we begin with two people – or eight, it will make little difference – and they also had the statistical 2.4 children per family. We will finish up with a number so impossibly large that the universe itself would not hold them! Aware of this problem, the textbooks explain it away by speaking of “population stability throughout this time.” This is nothing short of an appeal to a miracle! Frankly, the biblical account is far more believable.

http://www.creationmoments.com/radio/transcripts/population-and-age-earth-0

Loyal Member
Depends on when you think the earth was created, or recreated. When God created the earth it is most likely millions if not billions of years old. If God recreated the earth then it is most likely six thousand or so years old. When God told Adam, and Eve to "replenish" the earth does that mean it was at one "plenish" before Adam, and Eve?

“And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it…” (Genesis:1:28).

How long have people been living on the Earth? The evolutionist says two million years. The Bible-believing Christian says about six thousand. Who is right?

Statistically, a couple must have 2.1 children to keep a population at the same level. In practice, this means a minimum of three children per family. Let us suppose for a moment that the biblical account of the Genesis Flood in which just eight people survived is true. Let us further suppose that each family from this point in history had 2.4 children on average. This very modest number will take into account all the deaths through infant mortality, plagues and war. How long would it take to reach today’s world population? Surprisingly, the answer is just less than five thousand years. This figure fits nicely into known historical records.

Now suppose we take the evolutionary view that mankind has been on this planet for two million years and we begin with two people – or eight, it will make little difference – and they also had the statistical 2.4 children per family. We will finish up with a number so impossibly large that the universe itself would not hold them! Aware of this problem, the textbooks explain it away by speaking of “population stability throughout this time.” This is nothing short of an appeal to a miracle! Frankly, the biblical account is far more believable.

http://www.creationmoments.com/radio/transcripts/population-and-age-earth-0
Hello,

You wrote: "The Bible-believing Christian says about six thousand. "

My response: You are most assuredly incorrect. Old-earth creationism (just google it!) has been around for a LONG time, as an alternative theological option for conservative Bible-believing Christians. As an example, check out Reasons to Believe, Dr. Hugh Ross. His ministry has promoted conservative Evangelical Bible-affirming old-earth creationism for decades.

blessings...

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
Hello,

You wrote: "The Bible-believing Christian says about six thousand. "

My response: You are most assuredly incorrect. Old-earth creationism (just google it!) has been around for a LONG time, as an alternative theological option for conservative Bible-believing Christians. As an example, check out Reasons to Believe, Dr. Hugh Ross. His ministry has promoted conservative Evangelical Bible-affirming old-earth creationism for decades.

blessings...
You must keep in mind here, that an old Earth does not make mankind to be 'old' as well mandatory. Man, according to the genealogies in the Bible, has been on the Earth for only six thousand years. Myself, I believe man has been here only six thousand years but there have been highly advanced civilizations on this planet for millennia before the creation of man. We discussed this in another thread about a month ago. If I remember correctly....It was the thread named "The Cosmos"

You must keep in mind here, that an old Earth does not make mankind to be 'old' as well mandatory. Man, according to the genealogies in the Bible, has been on the Earth for only six thousand years. Myself, I believe man has been here only six thousand years but there have been highly advanced civilizations on this planet for millennia before the creation of man. We discussed this in another thread about a month ago. If I remember correctly....It was the thread named "The Cosmos"
6000 years is based on some assumptions which others do not accept.

For example, there may be gaps in the genealogies.

And, when accounting for gaps, the time of Adam might go back thousands of years earlier than "6000 years ago".

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
6000 years is based on some assumptions which others do not accept.

For example, there may be gaps in the genealogies.

And, when accounting for gaps, the time of Adam might go back thousands of years earlier than "6000 years ago".
If you read the geneologies....You will see there are NO gaps.

The Bible is About the Creation of This Heaven and Earth. Outside of that I don't think we know much. I have even heard some theories that the earth may have been created multiple times.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

maybe i can find out slightly more information in little genesis
---------------------------------------------
What I have read is that Adam was born on the sixth day and that Christ came into the flesh of Adam four days later or on the 10th day or 4,000 years later.

Peter Said
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If 2018 AD is correct "which i have heard it's not"

That would put us at at least 12 Days minimum concerning creation or 12,018 years. Some say we are not really in the year 2018 which i would / could agree.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to find the notes I had on this topic from my mentor but I could not find them.
Outside of Scripture; without my notes I would not be able to contend with Old school Creationists "never knew such a term".
However since both Old and Young believe in the Gospel; it's not in my heart to search further at this time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Young creationist should not be pushing anything under 10,000 years because Christ came into the flesh 4 days later from when Adam was a living soul
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Creation came from a Timeless Being; Predating Time.
--------------------------------------------
Unless I find and go over my notes I don't see myself adding or addressing this again

Last edited:
The Bible is About the Creation of This Heaven and Earth. Outside of that I don't think we know much. I have even heard some theories that the earth may have been created multiple times.

Gen 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
Gen 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

maybe i can find out slightly more information in little genesis
---------------------------------------------
What I have read is that Adam was born on the sixth day and that Christ came into the flesh of Adam four days later or on the 10th day or 4,000 years later.

Peter Said
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If 2018 AD is correct "which i have heard it's not"

That would put us at at least 12 Days minimum concerning creation or 12,018 years. Some say we are not really in the year 2018 which i would / could agree.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to find the notes I had on this topic from my mentor but I could not find them.
Outside of Scripture; without my notes I would not be able to contend with Old school Creationists "never knew such a term".
However since both Old and Young believe in the Gospel; it's not in my heart to search further at this time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Young creationist should not be pushing anything under 10,000 years because Christ came into the flesh 4 days later from when Adam was a living soul
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Creation came from a Timeless Being; Predating Time.
--------------------------------------------
Unless I find and go over my notes I don't see myself adding or addressing this again

Hi! You wrote: "Christ came into the flesh of Adam four days later or on the 10th day or 4,000 years later."

My response: Not sure what you're alluding to here....if you have time, I'd be curious to see you elaborate....

Hi! You wrote: "Christ came into the flesh of Adam four days later or on the 10th day or 4,000 years later."

My response: Not sure what you're alluding to here....if you have time, I'd be curious to see you elaborate....
Adam created 6 Day or in the 6000 years
From Adam to when Christ came in the flesh of Adam "specifically" is 4,000 years or 4 days

considering that 1 day is 1000 years.

maybe this helps
From Adam to Jesus: 4000 years

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
Take a listen. Two men of God, Two brilliant minds.
Jack Langford: Lucifer and the Ancient Earth

It would be good if you listened to the entire clip before you start to think of an argument. LOL 28 minutes

Last edited:

“And God blessed them, and God said unto them "Take your slide-rule, and multiply".

How long ago did the flood take place?

Let us suppose for a moment that the biblical account of the Genesis Flood in which just eight people survived is true. Let us further suppose that each family from this point in history had 2.4 children on average. This very modest number will take into account all the deaths through infant mortality, plagues and war. How long would it take to reach today’s world population? Surprisingly, the answer is just less than five thousand years.

When you 'show us your workings' of how long it has take to reach today's world population, have you taken into account such things as despite however long the Neanderthals were breeding on this earth, they all died out.

What does the Bible say? The Word is the authority
The Bible says that after ten increasingly wicked generations, the flood came 1676 years after God placed Adam in the Garden.

If that was 6018 years ago (give or take a year), the Flood was 4342 years ago.

Ten generations in 1676 years is an average of 167.5 years per generation.

Divide 4342 years since the Flood by 167.5 years per generation and we would have had only 26 generations to produce a population of 7.7 billion people.

However, after the Flood, God limited man's life to three score years and ten, which may have prompted people start "begating" in their teens, and if we take the age of 17 1/2, which is 1/4 of 70, there would be 248 generations since the Flood.

Assuming that Noah also begat another suggested 2.4 children, and his earlier offspring did as well, then 4339 1/2 years ago there could have been 18 people on the earth, and 4322 years ago there could have been 32 people and 4304 1/2 years ago, 90 people. The next generation would have been 138, and the one after that , 331. If you keep multiplying by 2.4 another 244 times, you don't get to to 7.7 billion, even if none of them had never died.

Actually, the Bible says that God told Noah and his sons, (or rather their wives), to have lots of children, and as generations turn out to be nearer 30 years, an accurate calculation is not possible, but dividing 4342 years by 30 is only 144.73 generations, and 7.7 billion is a very big number.

"This is nothing short of an appeal to a miracle" that so many people could have been begat in 145 generations !

Loyal Member
Top Poster Of Month
The Bible says that after ten increasingly wicked generations, the flood came 1676 years after God placed Adam in the Garden.

If that was 6018 years ago (give or take a year), the Flood was 4342 years ago.

Ten generations in 1676 years is an average of 167.5 years per generation.

Divide 4342 years since the Flood by 167.5 years per generation and we would have had only 26 generations to produce a population of 7.7 billion people.

However, after the Flood, God limited man's life to three score years and ten, which may have prompted people start "begating" in their teens, and if we take the age of 17 1/2, which is 1/4 of 70, there would be 248 generations since the Flood.

Assuming that Noah also begat another suggested 2.4 children, and his earlier offspring did as well, then 4339 1/2 years ago there could have been 18 people on the earth, and 4322 years ago there could have been 32 people and 4304 1/2 years ago, 90 people. The next generation would have been 138, and the one after that , 331. If you keep multiplying by 2.4 another 244 times, you don't get to to 7.7 billion, even if none of them had never died.

Actually, the Bible says that God told Noah and his sons, (or rather their wives), to have lots of children, and as generations turn out to be nearer 30 years, an accurate calculation is not possible, but dividing 4342 years by 30 is only 144.73 generations, and 7.7 billion is a very big number.

"This is nothing short of an appeal to a miracle" that so many people could have been begat in 145 generations !
Ok So where do you get 167.5 years per generation? Even after the flood the people still lived to five and six hundred years...How many kids can you sire in that amount of time? 2.4 children is a modern average. I'm seventy years old..At this time I have four "kids" and twelve grandcritters, along with sixteen great grandcritters. What we have here is not two people anymore but a tribe. Now some of those greats are approaching marrying age and the number can climb drastically. Your numbers don't fit at all. All it would take is for my grandcritters to all marry, the average number of kids they have ranges from four to six, so you can see there are only about three grandcritters reproducing at this time..If they all married and started popping kids out the numbers would increase exponentially.
Your modern calculations cannot fit because of the length of life, the numbers multiplying and no doubt other factors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Bible Chat 14
Tristan W Prayer Request 2
ladylovesJesus Devotionals 1
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0
Adziilii Bible Chat 146