• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Point of no return?

Active
What are your thoughts on this with regards to sin?

Is it possible that someone be sold out to a love of what is evil such that they would never 'ever' be able to truly repent of their sins?

I find it very hard to believe this. Yet this is what scripture teaches. An eternal punishment in hell would then be an inevitability.

I trust that God is just and the only one that can know this. It is just very hard to believe this is true for so many. Quite an interesting thought to think on.

Since the gate to hell is wide and heaven narrow. Let's assume 2/3 of all are going to hell. That would mean that 2/3 of the people around you are potentially close to being completely and utterly sold out to a love of what is evil. 2/3 of the people around you are very close to being someone you cannot and must not trust. 2/3 of the people around you are potentially unrepentant sinners.

I would argue that the default belief of a good person would be to believe in the possibility of all wicked being rehabilitated. Making this topic a controversial one that we may only properly settle one-day in the presence of God.

Some key scriptures to consider:

Gen 15:16 In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure.

The Hebrews wanted God to annihilate the Amorites. God said, no, their sin is not yet full measure.

1 John 3:8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.

The devil has never wanted to stop sinning, IE repent and turn from sin.

Jer 17:9-10 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Only God can know the depths of our hearts and minds.

Exo 9:12 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and just as the LORD had predicted to Moses, Pharaoh refused to listen.

After ten plagues, ten refusals to repent and succumb to God's will, Pharoah's heart was hardened and his 11th act of defiance to God, chasing down the Hebrews with his chariots, would result in his death in the red sea.

Loyal
What are your thoughts on this with regards to sin?

Is it possible that someone be sold out to a love of what is evil such that they would never 'ever' be able to truly repent of their sins?

I find it very hard to believe this. Yet this is what scripture teaches. An eternal punishment in hell would then be an inevitability.

I trust that God is just and the only one that can know this. It is just very hard to believe this is true for so many. Quite an interesting thought to think on.

Since the gate to hell is wide and heaven narrow. Let's assume 2/3 of all are going to hell. That would mean that 2/3 of the people around you are potentially close to being completely and utterly sold out to a love of what is evil. 2/3 of the people around you are very close to being someone you cannot and must not trust. 2/3 of the people around you are potentially unrepentant sinners.

I would argue that the default belief of a good person would be to believe in the possibility of all wicked being rehabilitated. Making this topic a controversial one that we may only properly settle one-day in the presence of God.

Some key scriptures to consider:

Gen 15:16 In the fourth generation your descendants will come back here, for the sin of the Amorites has not yet reached its full measure.

The Hebrews wanted God to annihilate the Amorites. God said, no, their sin is not yet full measure.

1 John 3:8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.

The devil has never wanted to stop sinning, IE repent and turn from sin.

Jer 17:9-10 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? I the Lord search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

Only God can know the depths of our hearts and minds.

Exo 9:12 But the LORD hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and just as the LORD had predicted to Moses, Pharaoh refused to listen.

After ten plagues, ten refusals to repent and succumb to God's will, Pharoah's heart was hardened and his 11th act of defiance to God, chasing down the Hebrews with his chariots, would result in his death in the red sea.
Hello @KingJ,

I do not wish to enter into a debate about the state of the dead and eternal conscious punishment, but I agree that an unbelieving heart can become hardened to the point where the gospel message can have no effect upon it.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris