Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Please help

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by LostLove, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Not sure If God has given me a debased mind hence I've been to & fro with God, and repeatedly to ask Him to create in me a new mind to no avail. Frustrated

Sent from a mobile device
  2. Garbage in, garbage out, good in, good out, set your mind on good things and think on these, You cant just stop putting new garbage into your head, you have to replace it with lots of good things., Consider your mind to be a shelf, and you have to keep putting new good things on the shelf, till eventually the old garbage falls out due to lack of use.

4. What about Romans 1:28 ???

• This is just one verse, I doubt it has much bearing on your state of mind unless the shoe fits!
    • This one verse was a statement against those who were unrighteous. To be righteous is to have the righteousness of Christ in you. To have Christ in you is to believe in Jesus Christ's finished work on the cross and received him in you as a gift of salvation.
    • Your effort of going "to & fro with God" is the wrong approach. Instead study what Jesus did on the cross for you....go to him and acknowledge that you are sinner and can not save yourself alone ( Repent), receive Christ as your personal Savior.
    • If you do this, you will receive a renewing of your mind and you will loose this feeling of having a debased mind!

Laura1557, Christ4Ever and Brad Huber like this.
  5. You are too kind

6. No I am not kind...Jesus is....all I do is speak the truth that will set you free from the bondage of doubt.

8. Sure you are lol you just don't see it yet. :) :) Joshua 2:12 Thank you again for your reply very sweet of you. Happy thanksgiving to you & ALL your loved ones.

9. @LostLove

Welcome to the forum.
    Praying for your situation. Our God is able in every situation.

10. Hi LostLove, and welcome to the forum. You haven't specified the context from which you've been to and fro with God and asked Him to create in you a new mind. What I mean is: are you saved, or are you an unbeliever?

If you don't know Jesus as your personal Saviour, Born Again 2004 has explained what you need to do in post #5 of this thread. The moment we're saved, God creates in us a new mind: 2 Cor 5:17.

If you're already saved, it's the devil that has you worried about Romans 1:28 and I'd suggest going back and reading all of Romans 1, paying particular attention to context and to whom it's written.

I would say, though, that the fact you're worried about God giving you over to a debased mind tells me you're not there. If you were, you wouldn't be worried about it. You either wouldn't care, or you'd take pleasure in it according to Romans 1:32.

11. I've just been completely lost with the Lord, I've chased Him only to be empty. I went back into the world. Crawled back to God to repent with severe depression. Asked Him repeatedly into my life BEGGING to no avail asking His forgiveness. Again a total emptiness. Grieving...

12. Hi @LostLove glad you've here. I hope the community uplifts you.

13. If you’re lost, you need to be saved.

If you’re saved, you need to stop the “to and fro,” get your focus off yourself and on to Him. Grab the “to” and stop the “fro.” “To and fro” is double mindedness and instability and this is the advice James had about that in the opening of his letter to the twelve tribes:

1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.
    2My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations;
    3Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
    4But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
    5If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
    6But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
    7For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord.
    8A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.

Is it easier said than done? Yes.
    Is it a struggle that seems to have no end? Sure, at times.

I was diagnosed with chronic major depression thirty years ago now, at age 17. The Lord saved me when I was 29 and I was in my mid-30s before I started to get victory over it. Up until a year ago I still had semi-regular setbacks and I still wouldn’t consider myself to be out of the woods.

The devil loves to keep our focus anywhere but on the Lord. If he can get us to focus on ourselves, we can't focus on Him because we can only think about one thing at a time.

So we need to resist the devil and follow hard after God. Focus on Him. Submit to Him.

James 4:7 Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

One way to do that is to praise the Lord and count your blessings, as the hymn writer wrote. And keep at it.

(Suggestion: a good place to start is to wander over to the Devotions forum and post in @Fragrant Grace’s thread “Let’s share a testimony of praise and thanks daily.”)

14. Thank you so much Laura for your dose of a healthy reply. Your a fresh breath of air. It was sorrowful to hear your experience with depression & the severity. It's a horrible experience to go through for such a lengthy period. I've had it since the age of seven. You stand absolutely correct on stopping the "fro" . My point was when I'm running to my Savior in prayer & His Word I don't hear Him speaking to me & don't feel His presence. So I believe He has given me a debased mind or possibly taken my salvation away. Not completely sure what's going on with that. But adds to the depression. Ugh...

15. You may be experiencing the silence of God. I can't write much at the moment, but you can be assured from Scripture that He hasn't taken your salvation away and He hasn't given you a debased mind. Remember what I said earlier about how if He had, you wouldn't be worried about it? That was advice given to me during one of my depressive setbacks by a dear brother in the Lord when I was worried that I was useless to the Lord.
    Rest assured that God hasn't abandoned you. The devil is the one who's causing the doubt.
    I'll explain more later.
    Be still and know that He is God.

16. 1 Corinthians 2:16 says that you have been given the mind of Christ (if you have been born again by the Spirit of God)....and

2 Timothy 1:7: "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

I pray that God will bring you clarity and take away confusion and reveal to you who you are in Christ. Our identity rests in Him and His work alone. Not our feelings, not our performance and nothing else. Everything we are and define ourselves by comes back to what Christ accomplished on the cross for us. As we rest more and more in what He has done for us and who He is for and in us, our minds are renewed.

Laura1557 and Brad Huber like this.
  17. IF you are truly saved...God has given you the gift of salvation...he is no "Indian Giver, He promises to never leave or forsake you!

Laura1557 likes this.
  18. Thank you :)

19. @LostLove, @Gigiloveslife pretty much picked up where I left off last night and completed that train of thought for me, by God's grace. When we're struggling, we have to keep our faith first, facts second and our feelings last. Basically, for we depressives, we have to learn to kick our negative feelings to the curb and gain the mastery over them. Proverbs 25:28 (KJV) always convicted me of that, but again, it's a hard thing to learn to put into practice.

Pastor Adrian Rogers put it this way: So many of us want to feel victorious, but let me tell you something. Our feelings are the shallowest part of our nature. Salvation is the deepest work of God. And God doesn’t do His deepest work in the shallowest part of us. We need to get our salvation out of the realm of fickle emotions and begin to reckon the Truth of God’s Word. We must count on the life of Christ in us day-by-day and moment-by-moment.

When God is silent, there could be a few different reasons. One could be sin between yourself and your Saviour. Psalm 66:18 (KJV) states that if there's sin in my heart, God won't hear me. In the New Testament, Paul instructs the Thessalonians to ''quench not the Spirit." We can also grieve the Spirit and vex the Spirit, and any of the three will put up a roadblock between us and God. That's why it's crucial to maintain short accounts with God and practice 1 John 1:9 (KJV) daily, if not more.

God uses His silence to both guide and correct us. Either way, we need to continue to follow and obey Him by faith, according to the Scriptures, not our feelings. The devil wreaks havoc in the emotional domain if we let him. The best short-term solution I've found to immediate turmoil is to get in the Book and stay in the Book.

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 14)

1. LostLove
  2. Brad Huber
  3. Born Again 2004
  4. Christ4Ever
  5. Laura1557
  6. amadeus2
  7. lilyofthevalley
  8. Chad
  9. Fragrant Grace
  10. Psalm23Rick
  11. Gigiloveslife
  12. Br. Bear