• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Please Help: What Bible Should I Use?

I am committed religiously to the 1984 NIV Bible. But I need a Bible that is in public domain. That means one that isn't copyright protected any longer. What do you all think of the World English Bible? Or should I go with the King James? Or perhaps another suggestion?

Since I'm unable to delete this post, I will just announce the decision I have come to and that is the King James Bible 1611. Thanks. I still want to read your opinions, though.

Loyal
I use "Esword" so I have 30+ Bible translations. My favorite is the "KJV", but I also like the "ESV", and "AMPC" translations. A new translation I found recently is the "Wuest" translation which is interesting, but it is only NT.

Active
I am committed religiously to the 1984 NIV Bible. But I need a Bible that is in public domain. That means one that isn't copyright protected any longer. What do you all think of the World English Bible? Or should I go with the King James? Or perhaps another suggestion?
As long as it preaches the one true Gospel.
Like my youngest Grandson says: " Pick your favorite, it is your best."

Active

I would say that all modern versions (including the NIV) are hodge-podge selections based on the alleged Critical Text, so they all differ here and there and even disagree in some areas and select passages to delete, some neuter gender and so on. What they do is select from Vaticanus and Sinaiticus as they believe accurate and true only the fact is one of these was a throw away and both are heavily edited and disagree with one another on almost every page. After Constantine when the coucil of Bishops assembled to decide what are the Scriptures to be used they almost unanimously agreed with use of the Byzantine Majority Text. Copies of this are now available in English and I believe (since this agrees with about 95% of all samples of Scripture prior to the 4th century) that this should be our rule of thuimb and where those modern versions differ vastly they should be rejected for this rendition. The Sryiac Matthew is also a good choice.

Now one footnote....the KJV used the Masoretic (which had not yet been written) for its Old Testament scriptures so it is also a great companion. Now tho I do own many of the newer versions I do not count them as the word of God....for an honest translation of the Critical Txt I recommend either the NASB or the original RSV which comes in two parts the OT from 1946 and the NT from the early 50s (I think 51 but I am not certain) but most of the new ones are slanted toward a theology or largely trash (in my opinion). May the Spirit lead each of us not our denominations teaching for do not forget for many centuries most very faithful followers of Jesus could not read. Faith comes by hearing....

I use mainly my New Living Translation but I own several bibles.
I think whichever you find easiest to understand is fine.

The King James Bible is so very beautiful as a great, if not the greatest work of literature.