• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outleet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Picky eaters.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:8)

Loyal
When I was younger, I was a pretty picky eater. I liked meat and potatoes, but I didn't care much for most vegetables. Not only that, but I like french fries, but not all of them. If they were brown and burnt of the ends, I gave
them to the dog or threw them away. Now that I'm an old man, my eating habits have changed quite a bit.

It seems like many Christians are picky eaters when it comes to the Bible.
I like this part, but I don't like that part. These verses apply to me, but these verses don't.

There is a church in my town called "The Church of the Gospel of John". The only parts of the Bible they care about or read, is the parts written by John ( John, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd John, and Revelation ) all of the rest
of the Bible "doesn't apply to them". There are other Christians who say anything Jesus taught "doesn't apply to them". There are yet other Christians who say "only what Paul wrote applies to me".
I have to ask myself are they Christians, or are they Paulians?

If gets worse, some people will say what Jesus taught doesn't apply to Gentiles, but then they will quote John 3:16 to you. Guess who was speaking in John 3:16 ?
So we have verse skippers, passage skippers, and some cases, even chapter skippers.

Many Christians will quote from 1Corinthians 13, (the Love Chapter) above love is patient and love is kind. But then the will say 1Corinthians chapter 12 and chapter 14 don't apply to them.
The Bible doesn't work that way, you can't just randomly pick out certain chapters between other chapters.

Perhaps the worst, are the "partial verse" quoters. They like half of a verse, but not the entire verse. Usually taken out of context.

Now sometimes in the Bible, things will get changed. Obviously the New Covenant is different from the old covenant, and Jesus explained some differences between them
in Matthew 5, 6 and 7. For example you used to be to hate your enemies take revenge, now we have to love our enemies and pray for them.
You used to be able to divorce someone because you no longer "favor" them. Now you can only divorce because of unfaithfulness.

But unless the Bible specifically says something changed, it hasn't. It all applies to us. Even most of the old testament.

Once we start picking and choosing certain parts of the Bible, I can make up any doctrine I want to.
Often people will say the Bible is wrong, mis-translated, or mis-interpreted. But what they really mean, is it doesn't agree with what they believe.

You know I don't like the parts about adultery ( I committed adultery many years ago ). I think we should leave those out and say they don't apply anymore.
Before you know it, we are leaving out more of the Bible than we are leaving in.

If men should not live by bread alone, but by EVERY word that.. ( Matt 4:4; ) then maybe we need to be a lot less picky about the food we eat?

Loyal
I have a freind who says he is christian, says he believes the bible. Yet when I tell him the bible says sexually immoral people will not inherit the kingdom of God and give him scripture he argues with me.

Loyal
1 Peter 2:1-2
Therefore, rid yourselves of all malice and all deceit and hypocrisy and envy and all slander, 2 and like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation

The word of God is the "milk" we should imbibe in as much as possible.

1 Cor 3:1-2
And I, brothers and sisters, could not speak to you as spiritual people, but only as fleshly, as to infants in Christ. 2 I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to consume it. But even now you are not yet able

Heb 5:11-14
11 Concerning him we have much to say, and it is difficult to explain, since you have become poor listeners. 12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the actual words of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is unacquainted with the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to distinguish between good and evil.

So although spiritual milk "is" good, solid food is better as we mature in our faith. I tell you that learning the voice of the Holy Spirit, and depending more upon faith in the Holy Spirit is the solid food we need. And that will allow us to better distinguish between good and evil, versus merely depending on knowledge of scripture. Now there is bad solid food and good solid food. How do we know which is which..... if it betrays the milk of scripture, then its not good solid food.

Many here drink milk all the time, which is good, but more people here.... perhaps most people here, avoid solid food most of the time preferring a diet of the rich milk.

Agree or disagree?

Never more true than in the Rapture timing controversy, which I'm pretty much done with, and most likely so are you. When the persecution starts, we're not going to be able to hold everybody's hand, better to get saved and prepared now.

Loyal
Already saved here, and you can only prepare so much, and if we have a good relationship with the Holy Spirit, thats the best thing to do to prepare.