• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Philippians 3:7-12

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

'... But what things were gain to me,
those I counted loss for Christ.
Yea doubtless,
and I count all things but loss
for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord:
for whom I have suffered the loss of all things,
and do count them but dung,
that I may win Christ,
and be found in Him,
not having mine own righteousness,
which is of the law,
but that which is through the faith of Christ,
the righteousness which is of God by faith:
That I may know Him,
and the power of His resurrection,
and the fellowship of His sufferings,
being made conformable unto His death;
If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.
Not as though I had already attained,
either were already perfect:
but I follow after,
if that I may apprehend
that for which also I am apprehended
of Christ Jesus.'

(Philippians 3:7-12)

* What are your thoughts on any aspect of this portion of Scripture?

Thanking you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Loyal
Paul had a lot to brag about in the flesh....

Php 3:4; although I myself might have confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else has a mind to put confidence in the flesh, I far more:
Php 3:5; circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
Php 3:6; as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

2 Cor 11:22; Are they Hebrews? So am I. Are they Israelites? So am I. Are they descendants of Abraham? So am I.
2 Cor 11:23; Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death.
2 Cor 11:24; Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes.
2 Cor 11:25; Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep.
2 Cor 11:26; I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren;
2 Cor 11:27; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure.
2 Cor 11:28; Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches.

He had gone through a lot, many trials and tribulations.. beaten, jailed, whipped, was a Pharisee, a true Jew, etc....
But even though he could have boasted in these things and said "look what I've done for God". I count all these things "but dung".
They are just horse manure compared to the rewards and the resurrection. I believe Paul thought these things more than worth anything
he might have personally suffered or accomplished on his own.

]'... But what things were gain to me,
Yea doubtless,
that I may win Christ,
and be found in Him,
which is of the law,
That I may know Him,
but I follow after,
if that I may apprehend
of Christ Jesus.'

Hello there,

The knowledge of Christ Jesus His Lord: and to be 'found in Him', thereby possessing the righteousness which is of God by faith rather than his own, was what Paul desired: His goal was 'to win Christ', and He ran the race that He may win this glorious prize, didn't he?

* A look at the Holy Spirit's use of the word, 'run', in Paul's epistles is quite revealing, and worth considering within their context. (1 Cor. 9:24,26, Gal.2:2' Gal.5:7; Phil.2:16; Heb. 12:1)

Paul ran His race with confidence, not with 'uncertainty' (1 Cor. 9:26), for His confidence was not in himself, but in the surety of God's promises and the absolute efficacy of the sacrifice of Christ. He knew what God required of him, for 'a necessity had been laid upon' him, not only to preach the gospel, but to do it willingly (1 Cor. 9:16,17) . This required that he become servant of all, and empathise with their every condition that he might win them for Christ. He, like His Lord, made himself of no reputation, and took upon himself the form of a servant (Phil. 2:7), to run this race.

Praise God! - For such testimony.

* There is much more to be considered in this portion of Scripture, isn't there?
Do give your input.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hymn: Fight the good fight with all thy might

]'... But what things were gain to me,
Yea doubtless,
that I may win Christ,
and be found in Him,
which is of the law,
That I may know Him,
but I follow after,
if that I may apprehend
of Christ Jesus.'

Hello there,

The knowledge of Christ Jesus His Lord: and to be 'found in Him', thereby possessing the righteousness which is of God by faith rather than his own, was what Paul desired: His goal was 'to win Christ', and He ran the race that He may win this glorious prize, didn't he?

* A look at the Holy Spirit's use of the word, 'run', in Paul's epistles is quite revealing, and worth considering within their context. (1 Cor. 9:24,26, Gal.2:2' Gal.5:7; Phil.2:16; Heb. 12:1)

Paul ran His race with confidence, not with 'uncertainty' (1 Cor. 9:26), for His confidence was not in himself, but in the surety of God's promises and the absolute efficacy of the sacrifice of Christ. He knew what God required of him, for 'a necessity had been laid upon' him, not only to preach the gospel, but to do it willingly (1 Cor. 9:16,17) . This required that he become servant of all, and empathise with their every condition that he might win them for Christ. He, like His Lord, made himself of no reputation, and took upon himself the form of a servant (Phil. 2:7), to run this race.

Praise God! - For such testimony.

* There is much more to be considered in this portion of Scripture, isn't there?
Do give your input.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hymn: Fight the good fight with all thy migh
t
Hello again,

Most importantly, to run this race also necessitated that Paul, 'keep' his body, and bring it into subjection. Why? Lest, when he had preached to others, he himself should become a castaway, disqualified from the race with the loss of the prize he sought (1 Cor. 9:27). It was imperative that he remain faithful, and he did, didn't he? He reached His goal, paying the ultimate sacrifice in doing so. He ran the race, He finished his course, He kept the faith. The crown was won: for him to lay at the feet of His Lord in that day, when He will appear with Him in glory.

'I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness,
which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day:
and not to me only,
but unto all them also that love his appearing.'

(2 Tim. 4:7,8)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

'That I may know Him,
If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead.'

(Phil. 3:10,11)

Hello yet again,

This is the portion of Philippians 3, which I wished particularly to receive your input on. For Paul's words here are particularly precious to me. The intensity of Paul's desire here can almost be felt, can't it? 'That I may know Him', and ...

- ' and the power of His resurrection.'

* This power is the power by which God raised Christ from the dead, isn't it? (Eph.1:19-23; Rom. 8:11; 1 Cor.6:14) The same power which works in the members of the Body of Christ. For whom Paul prayed the prayer of Ephesians 1:17-23.

'That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory,
may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him:
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened;
that ye may know what is the hope of His calling,
and what the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
And what is the exceeding greatness of His power to us-ward who believe,
according to the working of His mighty power,
Which he wrought in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead,
and set Him at His own right hand in the heavenly places,
Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion,
and every name that is named,
not only in this world, but also in that which is to come:
and hath put all things under His feet,
and gave Him to be the head
over all things to the church which is His body,
the fulness of Him that filleth all in all.'

(Eph 1:17-23)

Praise His Holy Name!

* I have only touched the 'hem' of this subject, there is so much more to be said regarding this wondrous resurrection power, isn't there? and the rest of Phil. 3:10,11. ( I have to stop here today, otherwise I could go on and on into the evening and the wee small hours of the night, for it is such a blessing) So, please respond if you have anything you wish to contribute.

Thanking you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Active
I have this picture of running a race, keeping out eyes on Jesus, but the world just throws rocks in our paths and puts up hurdles or even says take this shortcut and it leads into a ditch.

I have this picture of running a race, keeping out eyes on Jesus, but the world just throws rocks in our paths and puts up hurdles or even says take this shortcut and it leads into a ditch.
Thank you, @Lanolin.

Your words make me think of a verse from Hebrews 12:2, 'Looking unto Jesus the Author and Finisher of our faith, Who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.'.

* He is both the Author, and Finisher of our faith - what confidence and assurance that should give us, shouldn't it?
* It was the joy that was set before Him that kept Him faithful to the end, and it is the joy that is set before us as a consequence of His sacrificial work that we can run the race set before us, that we may win the prize of the high calling of God, in Him.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

'That I may know Him,
being made conformable unto His death; ... '

(Php 3:10)

Hello again,

Looking at Paul's words, 'the fellowship of His sufferings': Paul was not only a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, but the risen Lord had met with and instructed him on more than one occasion in his capacity as His Apostle. He 'knew' Christ in a way that you or I will never know Him (in this life). Yet His desire is to know Him to an even greater degree, and the power of His resurrection: and not only that but Paul wanted to voluntarily be associated with Christ in His sufferings and death.

* Paul's position, in Christ, like you and I who are trusting in the finished work of Christ, was absolutely secure, nothing and no one could take that from him, but Paul wanted to attain unto something more: he wanted to gain the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. This required that he endure to the end, that he be faithful to the Word that he had received and the commission allotted to him, as the Lord's prisoner, and His stewardship of the mystery of Christ.

* The next verse shows his goal:- 'If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead'. ie., 'If by any means I might attain unto the out-resurrection, that which is out from among the dead ones.' (Phil 3:11). This resurrection was the divinely appointed entry into the added prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

* In Hebrews we read of those who sought a 'better' resurrection (Heb.11:35), and in Revelation, we are told of one of two resurrections that take place, the one prior to the millennial reign of Christ with, 'the Overcomers,' who attain to that resurrection: and a resurrection following the 1,000 year reign, for those who failed to attain to the first resurrection (Rev. 20:.5,6). In that case, 'reigning' with Christ, was the prize for those who overcame the tribulation of those days, and were faithful to the testimony of Jesus and kept His Word.

* In Paul's case the resurrection is called, 'the out-resurrection' (exanastasis), which is neither the resurrection for which Martha and her countrymen hoped (John 11:24; Acts 24:15), or that of 1 Thessalonians 4.

Praise God!

These are my thoughts, limited though they are. Please add yours.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Loyal
@Lanolin
"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all." Ecc 9:11

No, the race is not to the swift, but rather... what matters is that we do not quit the race because we get weary:

"And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Gal 6:9

"And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved." Matt 10:22

Active
Its more like a marathon than a sprint. It doesnt matter how fast, just that you finish. Still, it is a race. You have a beginning, and an end.

Peter again thought he would be the first to see Jesus at the resurrection...he was literally running to be the first to see him. I think he was racing John who actually beat him! But it was Mary who had that privelige...she stayed by Jesus side and never left.