• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Philemon 14

Philemon 14 King James Version (KJV)
14 But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly.

Philemon 14 Good News Translation (GNT)

14 However, I do not want to force you to help me; rather, I would like for you to do it of your own free will. So I will not do anything unless you agree.

Good News Translation (GNT) Copyright © 1992 by American Bible Society

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

Paul was respecting this man being the master. Although this letter doesn’t justify owning another person it does say that we should respect certain things within culture. We can bring people to the faith by respecting their culture as long as it does not go against scripture, servants here worked to pay off the debt they owed and sometimes we choose to stay rather then go back to life full of debt, they weren’t chosen to be slaves by race. Paul is urging him to let his servant stay with him, this wouldn’t free him from the debt owed unless decided upon, he could have came back later to pay off the debt. We could never pay off the debt for our sin but thankful we can choose to be servants to our Master Jesus.