• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Our sorrows He carried

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:1)

Loyal
In one of the more well known prophecies of Jesus it says....

Isa 53:3; He was despised and forsaken of men, A man of sorrows and acquainted with grief; And like one from whom men hide their face He was despised, and we did not esteem Him.
Isa 53:4; Surely our griefs He Himself bore, And our sorrows He carried; Yet we ourselves esteemed Him stricken, Smitten of God, and afflicted.

I've asked myself.. when did Jesus do this? And yet the answer is in several places in the New Testament.
The story of Lazarus is a good example.

John 11:33; When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews who came with her also weeping, He was deeply moved in spirit and was troubled,
John 11:34; and said, "Where have you laid him?" They *said to Him, "Lord, come and see."
John 11:35; Jesus wept.
John 11:36; So the Jews were saying, "See how He loved him!"

He was deeply moved in His spirit, and was troubled....
He wasn't angry here.... He was saddened. He was sorry His friend had died.
In fact it says here (the verse famous for being the shortest verse in the Bible...) "Jesus wept".
Even the Jews could see.. how much Jesus "loved him".

Yes, we know the rest of the story, yes Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead. But in this instant...
In this moment... Jesus knew what it felt like to be human. To be a man.
To hurt when we hurt. To feel sorrow, to feel grief.

Yes Jesus died for us and that was a terrible, cruel, horrific way to die....
But even in our lives.... Jesus loved us enough... cared for us enough.... not only to die for our sins.
But to hurt for us, feel sorrow with us.

To bear our griefs and sorrows... I find it amazing that God would come down to earth, to feel
our pain and suffering in this life. How much Jesus loves us.

Heb 4:15; For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but One who has been tempted in all things as we are, yet without sin.

We have a Savior who can sympathize with us in our weaknesses. Our pains and our sorrows.
I wonder... can you really love someone without hurting with them sometimes?
How amazing is our God... the God with compassion for His people.

Loyal
All of the following verses are about Jesus...

Matt 9:36; Seeing the people, He felt compassion for them, because they were distressed and dispirited like sheep without a shepherd.
Matt 14:14; When He went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and felt compassion for them and healed their sick.
Matt 15:32; And Jesus called His disciples to Him, and said, "I feel compassion for the people, because they have remained with Me now three days and have nothing to eat; and I do not want to send them away hungry, for they might faint on the way."
Matt 18:27; "And the lord of that slave felt compassion and released him and forgave him the debt.
Matt 20:34; Moved with compassion, Jesus touched their eyes; and immediately they regained their sight and followed Him.
Mark 1:41; Moved with compassion, Jesus stretched out His hand and touched him, and *said to him, "I am willing; be cleansed."
Mark 6:34; When Jesus went ashore, He saw a large crowd, and He felt compassion for them because they were like sheep without a shepherd; and He began to teach them many things.
Mark 8:2; "I feel compassion for the people because they have remained with Me now three days and have nothing to eat.
Luke 7:13; When the Lord saw her, He felt compassion for her, and said to her, "Do not weep."

In the story of the good Samaritan....
Luk 10:33; "But a Samaritan, who was on a journey, came upon him; and when he saw him, he felt compassion,

In the story of the prodigal son...
Luke 15:20; "So he got up and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion for him, and ran and embraced him and kissed him.

What does Jesus want us to have for others?
Matt 9:13; "But go and learn what this means: 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT SACRIFICE,' for I did not come to call the righteous, but sinners."
Matt 12:7; "But if you had known what this means, 'I DESIRE COMPASSION, AND NOT A SACRIFICE,' you would not have condemned the innocent.

Loyal
I have considered the two verses below. There are a few others that are similar but they raise a few questions.

2 Cor 7:9; I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.
Heb 12:11; All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

I've known unsaved people in my life who were sorry they did something. Not necessarily sorry for "sinning" per se, but just sorry they hurt someone or sorry things didn't turn out like they planned.
But it seems our conscience, can make us "sorrowful to the point of repentance". Have you ever been so sorry for something, that it made you cry? That it made you hurt inside?
That it made you change the way you live?

"you were made sorrowful according to the will of God" ... I don't think this necessarily means it's God will that we have to hurt, but rather He is willing to use our guilt and sorrow to get us to repent.
In fact it says .. "according to the will of God". It is of course God's will that all would repent. ( Acts 17:30; )

The second verse is similar... God is willing to use circumstances to discipline us. Whether we like it or not... sometimes we need to be disciplined.
When we sin, God uses situations to get us to repent. We can resist this, but there are serious consequences. But if we accept it... "it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness".

In many of verses in the previous post, I notice Jesus did things because He was "moved with compassion" ( Matt 14:14; Matt 20:34; Mark 1:41; etc... )
Are we people of compassion? Is this what loving others looks like?

2 Cor 7:10; For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

It seems there is a difference between being sorry that you have sinned against God, and being sorry for yourself.

Last edited: