• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Our identity is in Christ

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
We are identified with Christ or..
Our identity is in Christ.

You hear this a lot in some churches. I am just wondering what scriptures support this?
Also... what exactly does this mean?

I saw Chad had started a thread on this back in 2004. There are some verses listed, but I am wondering how they
relate to my identity in Christ?

I might be identified with my wife, because I;m wearing a ring.
I might be identified with the military because I'm wearing a uniform.
I might be identified with a football team because I'm wearing a jersey.

How do others "identify" me?

Active
There are hindrances that keep some of us from going beyond reading and believing those scriptures. A big one I suffered from and see many men do by habit is to boast of who they were, dulling their sense of who they are in Christ, transferring their boasting to Jesus. Too many men are still very reserved about "talking Jesus" in public, even in a church setting. You might find that mostly women stand to give testimonials that encourage others. That is an easily observable fact in all the denominations I have visited except a few that require women to be silent in church.

Paul identified some things in his life that could easily be among his boasts of himself.
Philippians 3:3-9 (KJV)
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
5 Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;
6 Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ.
8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Putting the flesh away is what we might confess we did and do. But if we're still identifying with who we once were, we have too much confidence in what the flesh accomplished. Since catching an eight pound black bass at age 12, my identity among many boys and men was an ever increasing fishing expert, a fishing guide by age 16, often winning in those days the coveted $25 in the mason jar for our tournaments (these days some earn millions). Until I was 40 I mostly talked fishing, taking the boat to the lake an average of 200 times a year, consuming vacations, days off, and many hours after work, day and night. It was my identity, who "I" was, though finally in Christ at age 31, but for 9 more years my boasting was mostly about fishing, letting everyone I knew brag on me. Once I realized I was running under the wrong banner, I turned my boasting to Jesus. Once my testimony switched, those verses about my identity with Jesus Christ became more than memory verses.

May your "old man" of the "flesh" give up to the lordship of Jesus. Share what you did and do not for the purpose of bragging, but to open up an opportunity to brag on him, to preach the gospel, to stand for the truth.