• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outleet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

On circumcision

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
I would like to start a bible study on circumcision.what exactly is it?

Lets find out. This topic is for everyone to join in. It doesnt matter if you are jew or greek, male or female.

However if you are a man you might be squeamish about this topic. Dont worry I will not get anyone to drop their pants.

I mean us ladies have other things to deal with. We dont faint at the sight of blood cos we kind of know what the curse is.

Active
"Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God." (1 Corinthians 7:19)

"For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love." (Galatians 5:6)

Active
We are going to study what it was and why God required it in the OT and what it is in the NT because there is circumcision of the heart.

Romans 2:29

Ok for any if you who are doctors or surgeons, or nurses please realise that the rest of us dont see this everyday and we usually dont look inside peoples hearts and examine peoples bodies.

But bear with me. Also be glad God does not require people to be keeping the old covenant anymore!

When I do a bible study it helps if we go to the beginning and read things in order starting from the OT so lets look at exactly what it was.

So if we go back to the beginning which in the bible is the book of Genesis. The very first book.

Can anyone find it. Right at the beginning of your bible.

(I am not assuming people actually read the bible in order, if you are ahead and skipped out on Genesis you might want to read it again!)

The first mention of circumcision is in chapter 17 of Genesis have a look at verses 9-14

Does anyone know why it's the eight day that a male child is circumcised. Not the seventh or the ninth but the eighth...?? I thought maybe because no work can be done on the seventh perhaps? But its after the child is born and not according to any calendar...

Another question why does God require this as token of his convenant for Abraham's seed? He could have given them a mark like He did with Cain. Or something else. I don't really know what the mark was, another mark we hear about is in revelation which is the mark of the beast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
The first mention of circumcision is in chapter 17 of Genesis have a look at verses 9-14

Does anyone know why it's the eight day that a male child is circumcised. Not the seventh or the ninth but the eighth...?? I thought maybe because no work can be done on the seventh perhaps? But its after the child is born and not according to any calendar
In Hebrew the number eight [Sh'moneh) means "to make fat" or "to super abound."
As seven means or indicates spiritual completeness, then eight indicates that which is superabundant or satiating.

Adam was formed [not created] on the eighth day as distinct from other humans, male and female, created on the sixth day.

Jehovah's covenants with Abraham are eight in all
Abraham's sons were eight in number: seven were born after the flesh, while one the eighth was the child of promise.
Consecration of Aaron and his sons was on the eighth day, after abiding at the door of the Tabernacle day and night seven days.
In Solomon's Temple there were eight classes of furniture, while in the Tabernacle there were seven.
The Sabbath to be kept holy: there were eight commands in all, seven by Jehovah; and one by Moses.
David was the eighth son of Jesse (1Sam 17:12)
Noah and his family saved on the Ark were eight in number.

Eight is seven plus one hence it is the number specially associated with resurrection and regeneration and the
commencement of a new era or order.
Circumcision was to be performed on the eighth day because it was the foreshadowing of the true circumcision of the heart,
that was to be made without hands; "the putting off of the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ."
Colossians 2:11 > new creation in Christ Jesus. buried with him and raised unto new life in him ...
The first born were to be given to Jehovah on the eighth day (Exodus 22:29-30)

With thanks to
The Works of Ivan Panin on Bible Numerics ; and to
E.W. Bullinger 'Number In Scripture Its Supernatural Design and Spiritual Significance'

Active
Thanks for that waggles, although not sure i agree with assertion that Adam was formed on the eighth day and everyone else on the sixth where did he get that from? Wasnt adam the first man? What did he mean formed?

I found this in Deuteronomy 10:16 Circumcise therefore the foreskin of your hearts and be stiff-necked no more

So circumcision of the heart is not just a NT thing.

Loyal
Top Poster Of Month
Gen 1:31; God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Gen 2:2; By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
Gen 2:3; Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Gen 2:7; Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Gen 2:8; The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.

In Judaism... the number eight also represents "new beginnings" as in... there are 7 days in a week,
but the "8th" day is really the beginning of a new week.

Active
Thanks for that waggles, although not sure i agree with assertion that Adam was formed on the eighth day and everyone else on the sixth where did he get that from? Wasnt adam the first man? What did he mean formed?
No Adam is not the first human being.
But that is a topic for another thread.
But at the rate moderators delete postings may not happen.

Since when has gematria or Bible Numerics equalled numerology?
How unlearned can one be?
Number in scripture is Bible scholarship.

Since when has gematria or Bible Numerics equaled numerology?
Aww? What book are you reading?

Aww? What book are you reading?

Since when has gematria or Bible Numerics equalled numerology?
Number in scripture is Bible scholarship.

Also you believe Michael the Angel to be Jesus in the human flesh. Right? Get the hence, your in the wrong forum.

Active
Gen 1:31; God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.

Gen 2:2; By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
Gen 2:3; Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Gen 2:7; Then the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Gen 2:8; The LORD God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed.

In Judaism... the number eight also represents "new beginnings" as in... there are 7 days in a week,
but the "8th" day is really the beginning of a new week.
Your scripture postings are constantly missing verses and got underlines in them BAC. If you read the KJV in order it does not show God creating another man on the eighth day.

Please read the Bible without missing verses. Dont wrest scriptures to conform to what you want them to read. Thats not fooling anyone.

Staff Member
@Waggles
Greetings,

You don't have to post here at TalkJesus if you don't want to.
It's a free ride to you and everyone else, so why mock it?
If you don't like the way things are, you are welcome to not return... nobody is forcing you to use this forum that you complain about.

A little respect for my fellow Moderators, please, sir (you are a man aren't you?)

Bless you ....><>

Staff Member
@Lanolin
Greetings,

Your scripture postings are constantly missing verses and got underlines in them BAC. If you read the KJV in order it does not show God creating another man on the eighth day.

Please read the Bible without missing verses. Dont wrest scriptures to conform to what you want them to read. Thats not fooling anyone.
Be careful please. I am not sure that B-A-C was/is suggesting any such thing. He provided some Scripture and yes, he underlined some of it which is not a bad thing in itself.
However, he can speak for himself regarding his post but please try a little politeness.

Bless you ....><>

Active
@Lanolin
Greetings,

Be careful please. I am not sure that B-A-C was/is suggesting any such thing. He provided some Scripture and yes, he underlined some of it which is not a bad thing in itself.
However, he can speak for himself regarding his post but please try a little politeness.

Bless you ....><>
Well its deceptive because its actually missing out verses. Who reads the Bible and skips passages like that? Nobody in church does that! If they did that they wouldnt be preaching very long. Every word of God is pure, you just dont do that. Satan does stuff like that!

Lets look at Genesis and read what is actually written not just a verse here and there. The Bible is God's story you cant cut it up into little bits and pieces and then make your own story out of it.

Sorry, I just believe the simple answer might be that a woman gives birth she (and the midwife?) ought to rest on the seventh day and then on the eighth day it would be working to circumcise the child.

Counting from the date of birth.

It just seems weird that people believe Adam was formed on the eighth day when if you read the Bible, mankind (male and female) was made on the sixth. It wasnt long that Adam was naming all the animals but needed a helper (as there were a whole heap) so God made Eve. Also remember back then days must have been much longer.

From scriptures posted in exodus and colossians it does seem that its a way of dedicating the firstborn males to God.

Circumcise means to cut. We cut a convenant.
What does this mean spiritually, well when our hearts are circumcised they are cut as well, or pricked. I dont know if hearts themselves have foreskins but its it a fleshy covering thats not needed?
Fruit can also be circumcised. Leviticus 19:23

Lambs tails are docked. This is to keep them clean, otherwise they will get their wool dirty (look up sheep dags) and also, like cattle branding its a sign of ownership.

Ok that is just my take on it does what are other peoples thoughts and scriptures on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Active
God showed me answer to my question

Check out Leviticus 12

Its about being clean. Interesting for a boy its seven days but for a girl its 2 weeks!!