• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Obey only written laws?

Active
Are we to obey only the laws written in scripture?

I see three matters to consider.

1. No laws were written until the ten commandments
2. Jesus fulfilled the law
3. Paul has a lot to say to Christians on judging all matters properly

1. It seems that outside of the Jews and prior to them, people were to live their lives with conviction from their conscience or from knowledge handed down by God to Adam. This is not unreasonable as God has created mankind just beneath the angels Heb 2:7 and we hence all have a working brain able to grasp right and wrong. We have also been given the knowledge of right and wrong Gen 3:22. So, one-day when Adam's one son stands before God, he cannot say '''Lord I never knew adultery was evil. When my wife cried and tried to kill the other girl I thought she was merely going through the motions''.

I find the fact that God actually wrote ten commandments on stone tablets to the Jews very interesting. Firstly, why those ten specifically and secondly, why to only the Hebrews? It seems obvious that God wanted the Hebrews to stand out among their neighbors. Acceptance of grievous sins and not honoring God was the ''in thing''. The ten commandments that have to do with hurting others should have already being practiced by them. I guess God wanted them to grasp that having graven images and other Gods before Him be as serious a matter as murder and adultery. When stoning to death was introduced, there was certainly no 'blur' on those grievous sins that displease God.

2. Jesus certainly changed things up. After Him all stoning stopped. Nobody can say they truly follow OT law without stoning the guilty party to death. So I guess, absolutely no Christian today follows OT law to the letter. Jesus made clear what God wants from us in Luke 5:32 ''Call sinners to repentance''. Jews were made an example of / bore the full curse of the law. But with Jesus we don't need to. The curse of the law was nailed to Jesus on the cross Gal 3:13. Jesus then summed up all the laws in two Matt 22:40. The laws of God are now written on our heart Rom 2:15 if we are new creations in Christ 2 Cor 5:17.

3. Paul certainly does have a lot to say on sins and exhorts Christians to judge matters properly.

He wants us to be aware of our sins. We need to understand that it is not a matter of self righteousness or judging others. It is a reality of the fact that we are in a live relationship with God. Our sins speak to our heart condition. As Jesus says 'we are known by our fruits'. A Christian does not commit sin because they hate it Rom 12:9.

A Christian is to judge all matters 1 Cor 2:15.

A Christian is to judge matters better then the unsaved as one-day we will judge angels 1 Cor 6:1-9.

@Headcasey669, your post here below prompted this thread. Thanks Headcasey. I hope this answers your question. God bless.

Also people putting there own ideas forward as to what is and what is not a sin that isn’t mentioned in the bible is a sin in itself.

No one even actually adressed my first point in all of this... Smoking was around when the bible was being written but it doesn't even get a mention.. I just think a lot of modern Christians want to say somethings a sin that they don't personally like.. I don't like uneven paths .. you can trip and fall on them.. They must be a sin too... nicotine has a lot of health benefits... where as caffeine had absolutely NONE,!!! ....The stimulatory effects of high caffeine intake may cause your heart to beat faster. It may also lead to altered heartbeat rhythm, called atrial fibrillation, which has been reported in young people who consumed energy drinks containing extremely high doses of caffeine .... But no one here will say drinking coffee is a sin .. or is even wrong doing.... you people need to get a grip like... Smoking help memory staves of things like Parkinson's disease and has a lot of other health benefits .. sure it also has some bad side effects like most things do.... But caffeine has no health benefits and is pretty much just deadly poison ..... But no one here will say drinking coffee is a bloody sin.. unless your a Mormon of course lol....

Loyal
Yes, Christians do not say to much about; “gossiping, backbiting”, “Sowing discord “among the brothers in sisters in Christ. In which is more dangerous that smoking. They will look up every Worldly definition about something. But look up a biblical meaning of Biblical language of biblical words. Those words are on God’s hit list. May I say. And if they do look it up, they only swim in shallow water. They will not launch out into the deep. ❤ These are wounds of A friend. Not the kisses of an enemy.

A lot of churches have decided smoking is a sin, but it's ok to be homosexual. It seems it's to whatever suits there purpose... to try and stay relevant with the modern way of thinking.

Active
A lot of churches have decided smoking is a sin, but it's ok to be homosexual. It seems it's to whatever suits there purpose... to try and stay relevant with the modern way of thinking.
Don't move the goal posts. You can't say 'smoking is ok because many accept homosexuality'. Deal with smoking on its own. You will stand alone before God one-day and give account of everything you have done.

You and I need to pass our own self assessments 1 Cor 11:31 and do this often in fear and trembling before God Phil 2:12.

Loyal
That is ironic, they will condemn, and look down on a person who smokes, but will not look down, or warns people strongly about “fornication” that will send you straight to HELL. And the “Circe” is Full to the brim of these abominations. Notice I said “Circe” and not church.

Don't move the goal posts. You can't say 'smoking is ok because many accept homosexuality'. Deal with smoking on its own. You will stand alone before God one-day and give account of everything you have done.

You and I need to pass our own self assessments 1 Cor 11:31 and do this often in fear and trembling before God Phil 2:12.
And so will you!

And we will all give account to god for everything we have done... But also everything we have not done. I take pack lunches to the homeless in Newcastle. I fill my old army burgen up with food. I get them hot drinks from Greggs. All at my own expense. I tell them that I love them and so does god, and I try to comfort them as best I can. I do this most Saturdays... what do you do? ..what do you do?.. other than sit in judgement.?. i think god is more concerned with what we do for others .. and a little less concered if we have an occasional cigarette or say the odd swear word..

Active
I think god is more concerned with what we do for others .. and a little less concered if we have an occasional cigarette or say the odd swear word..
No disagreement here. We should not be Pharisees. No fruit but an appearance of holiness.

There are grievous and non grievous sins. Some sins in the OT warranted the death penalty, others excommunication and others simply a warning.

Something like the charity work you are doing will cover a multitude of sins. It speaks to a right heart condition. An example of this is in James 5:20 ''Whoever restores a brother on the right path will cover a multitude of sins''.

The million dollar question is then, is smoking a grievous sin, yes or no? I would argue that it can be. Smoking on its own is not a sin. The vanity required to start is a sin. The lack of concern for your body is a sin. If for example you knew for a fact that chain smoking for the next month will kill you, it would be suicide, murder, grievous sin.

As with every matter, there is a lot to consider. God has given us a brain. Hence there should be no such statements as ''well its not as bad as adultery''. Discerning matters properly is Christianity 101.

Loyal
And we will all give account to god for everything we have done... But also everything we have not done. I take pack lunches to the homeless in Newcastle. I fill my old army burgen up with food. I get them hot drinks from Greggs. All at my own expense. I tell them that I love them and so does god, and I try to comfort them as best I can. I do this most Saturdays... what do you do? ..what do you do?.. other than sit in judgement.?. i think god is more concerned with what we do for others .. and a little less concered if we have an occasional cigarette or say the odd swear word..
Most important, do you tell them the salvation story? That is what God wants us to do. He wants you to proclaim “The Gospel of Jesus Christ” and why, that is called “agape” The love of God. Not the type of love the world gives. So you have to feed them both types of bread. Natural bread and the Salvation bread.❤ They might not like “Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand”. They didn’t like it from Jesus either. But they adored the food.❤

Loyal
“Whosoever loves this world is a enemy of God”. “Love not this world neither love the things of this world” “I did not come to bring peace but a sword” “Come out from among them”! “Touch not the unclean thing”. “fornicators and all adulterers, GOD will judge”. Be not deceive! It is not worth it! That goes for the women too!
The institutional church has become a group of Antinomianism, and full blow “Pelagians”. Fighting against one another. “Nominal Christians” has done a good job on us. Got us fighting one another, no sign of love. Jesus said: THEY will know you by “your love You have for one another”. Not for the love you have for them! The love you have for your brothers and sistersI “In Christ our Lord” our Lord, our Lord! Not theirs!❤

• Liver cirrhosis.
  • Traffic accidents.
  • Violence.
  • Cancers of the breast, liver, colon, and larynx.
  • Epilepsy and seizures

Drinking alcohol is way worse than smoking.. it has destroyed many more lives.. as it's been around a whole lot longer.. But it's destroyed people and familys in much worse ways.. car accidents one day daddy was here next day he wasn't.. violence ... people that tend to be loving can turn horrible.. Its caused family break ups and divorce the world over... And yet it's not considered a sin... But then again smoking wasnt considered a sin in any church of any denomination 30 years ago...... LOL!!!!!