• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Not one dot or tittle... The Lord's Prayer

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
Today on Sky News we have confirmation that...

Pope Francis approves changes to words of Lord's Prayer

The pontiff said he wanted to amend the line "lead us not into temptation" because it implies that God pushes people toward sin...

He has now approved changing the words to "do not let us fall into temptation" in Italian. So far this is the only translation the wording has changed.

Matthew 5:18 NKJV
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.

Proverbs 30:5-6 ESV
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

Revelation 22:18-19 ESV
I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book, and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his share in the tree of life and in the holy city, which are described in this book.

The words the pope has authorised to be removed against the above scriptures and more are in verse 13 below 'and lead us not into temptation'

Matthew 6:9-13 (NKJV)
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.

13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Didn't our Lord confirm satan had asked for Simon that he may sift him as wheat? He did, but he also said, I have prayed for you... so does this not say that we could be led into temptation?

Luke 22:31-32 (NKJV)
31 And the Lord said, "Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat.
32 But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren."

Not one dot or tittle should be removed from scripture, so this text is required by God, the pope as authorised half of a sentence, not a full sentence.

Therefore God can let us be led into temptation by the devil, God does not lead us into temptation himself, hence the second part of the sentence, but deliver us from the evil one.

Comment please brothers and sisters in Christ \o/

Staff Member
Greetings @Brother-Paul

Thank you for sharing.
The coming of the Lord draweth nigh for this is another sign of the times.

Im not suprised....the catholics preach "another gospel"........the seven sacraments, the baptism into the catholic church for salvation, the worship of Mary etc etc.

The concern is how they will decieve people into believing changing the words of the Lord's prayer is okay.

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works
2 Corinthians 11:13-14

Active
Greetings @Brother-Paul

Thank you for sharing.
The coming of the Lord draweth nigh for this is another sign of the times.

Im not suprised....the catholics preach "another gospel"........the seven sacraments, the baptism into the catholic church for salvation, the worship of Mary etc etc.

The concern is how they will deceive people into believing changing the words of the Lord's prayer is okay.

For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works
2 Corinthians 11:13-14
It is sad Fragrant Grace, even after the reformation they still preach things which are untrue and worship idols, though many RC's will say this is not the case, sadly it is.

As you mention, praying through the heart of the Blessed Virgin Mary, when Jesus says no one comes to the father except through Him.

Scripture tells us we should call no one Father except Our Father in Heaven.

They always have a figure of Jesus nailed to the cross, usually at the front of worshippers, often two times bigger than a human and looking down at the congregations. I have seen worshippers kneeling, looking up at the figure of Christ on the cross and worshipping Him. Idol worship.

They always have a small garden with a tomb and Mary again idol worship, they are graven images.

When they take mass they believe they are actually eating and drinking the flesh and blood of Christ, not bread and wine in remembrance until Christ returns.

There are other errors but it was not the intention in this post to highlight them, just confirm yet another change to scripture, this time changing the wording of scripture as they do not understand or appreciate the sentence or other scriptures referring to it. It is so sad.

Bless you \o/

Active
The traditional translation 'temptation' is not the most helpful. The original Greek word embraces the meanings 'testing' and 'temptation', depending on the context.

I grew up with the NRSV's 'do not bring us to the time of trial', which all round makes better sense.

The change seems to me to be a more accurate translation and an improvement.

Active
The changes made to the Lord's Prayer by the Catholics is not the first, though at present the changes to the Lord's Prayer is only in Italy.

I was invited to a Christening at a Catholic Church, almost twenty years ago. As I sat there I looked at the 10 Commandments, I thought to myself this cannot be right, it isn't right. So when I got home I compared the 10 Commandments to that in the King James Version, starting in Exodus. I was at that time, a ten years old Christian, but it was the first time I had been in a Catholic Church, but it was not the last as I also attended Churches together which went to five different denominations to share together. It was then that I saw people worshipping the graven image of Christ on the Cross, He is Risen was the first thing that went through my mind. I watched and prayed, although this was Churches together, it was the same old faces each time, and very few Catholics. I looked at the 10 Commandments, The Lord's Prayer, the people, the graven image of Christ, and of Mary, then outside Mary at the tomb.

I checked the 10 Commandments again.

1st Commandment
Exodus 20:2-3 (NKJV)
2 "I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
3 You shall have no other gods before Me.

Catholic 1st Commandment
I am the LORD your God: you shall not have strange Gods before me.

2nd Commandment
Exodus 20:4-6 (NKJV)

4 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Catholic 2nd Commandment
DELETED

3rd Commandment
Exodus 20:7 (NKJV)

7 "You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

Catholic 2nd Commandment is...
You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.

4th Commandment
Exodus 20:8-11 (NKJV)
8 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Catholic 3rd Commandment is...
Remember to keep holy the LORD'S Day.

5th Commandment
Exodus 20:12 (NKJV)

12 "Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.

Catholic 4th Commandment
Honor your father and your mother.

6th Commandment
Exodus 20:13 (NKJV)
13 "You shall not murder.

Catholic 5th Commandment
You shall not kill.

7th Commandment
Exodus 20:14 (NKJV)

14 "You shall not commit adultery.

Catholic 6th Commandment
You shall not commit adultery.

8th Commandment
Exodus 20:15 (NKJV)
15 "You shall not steal.

Catholic 7th Commandment
You shall not steal.

9th Commandment
Exodus 20:16 (NKJV)

16 "You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

Catholic 8th Commandment
You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.

10th Commandment
Exodus 20:17 (NKJV)

17 "You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's."

Catholic 9th Commandment
You shall not covet your neighbor's wife.

To complete the changes made earlier by deleting Commandment 2, the Catholics then add the 10th Commandment
You shall not covet your neighbor's goods.

Those who read them as they display them just accept they are the 10 Commandment, but yet again we see changes to the Word of God, by the Catholics.

Further reading on this topic, one which The Roman Catholic Church believes that their authority stands above the Word of God and that they can change God's times and laws and God will accept their changes. But they ignore that

Matthew 5:18-20 (NKJV)
18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.
19 Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.

Note: the Catholic Encyclopedia Volume 4, p. 152 confirms the deletion of the second Commandment and the change of the fourth commandment. They do not try to hide it, but are actually proud of it! "The church, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath of the seventh day of the week to the first, made the third commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day."

Don't just read this study it yourself, it is all part of Church history, but it is blatant denial of the Truth, disrespect for the Word of God and the warnings there in.

This post is not Catholic bashing, it is just making clear changes that they have made to The Word of God, even though the Bible states, God states it must not happen.

Some may say this is Roman Catholic teaching, not Catholic teaching, it is all part of what is practised and preached in the Catholic Church today. We must love the Catholics, we must love our neighbour as ourselves, we must pray for them, but remember that scripture is for...

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

What is very clear when we compare the 10 Commandments is that the following is the most significant change they have made...

Exodus 20:4-6 (NKJV)
4 "You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.
For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,
6 but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me
and keep My commandments.

Peace be with you \o/

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0
Christ4Ever Devotionals 0
Bendito Bible Discussions 10