• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Not Forsaking the Living Water

Jeremiah 2:13 "My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water.

John 4:14
but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

1 Cor 15:45
So it is written: "The first man Adam became a living being"; the last Adam, a life-giving spirit.

John 5:39
"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life. But the Scriptures point to me!

There are two main sins we can commit against God. One is to forsake Him as the living water, and the second is to make or turn to something else to replace God in our life.

Water is an essential ingredient for life. Without water there is no life. To forsake God as living water is also to forsake God as our life. And then we turn to something else to satisfy us, which can be entertainment, other people, religion, money, finance, work, but these things don't truly satisfy.

God knows that He Himself is the only thing that can satisfy man's desire and make man content because God created man for Himself.

When we experience God as our life we become satisfied with the fullness of His house, and we drink of the river of His pleasures:
Psalm 36:8 They shall be abundantly satisfied with the fullness of your house; and you shall make them drink of the river of your pleasures.

With this experience of life we also receive God's light, His shining on our darkness, showing us things we need to confess, and taking away any confusion in our mind about which path we should take:

Psalm 36: 9 For with you is the fountain of life; in your light we see light.

A person who forsakes God as life to their soul, is also a person who walks in darkness, unable to see his true condition, and unable to know God's will clearly.

The only solution is to come to Christ every day, and every moment, to receive life (John 5:40).
Life is the main thing that Christ wants to give us. And actually life is nothing other than the Spirit of Christ, the life-giving Spirit (1 Cor 15:45).
So we may say that life is not a "thing", it is the Spirit of the Lord Himself.

So we should turn to the Holy Spirit in every moment, be open to Him and receive His supply of life to our soul (mind, emotions, will). As we do this He also shall give life to our mortal bodies (Rom 8:11), to energize us, heal us, revive us, renew us, and give us the mental, emotional, and physical strength that we need in any occasion.

Jn 7:37 If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

The solution to all of lifes problems, such as sin, death, darkness, turmoil, confusion etc, is to come to Christ and drink of Christ as the living water, the eternal life, and the light. Whatever problems we face individually can be overcome by drinking the living water. Others are thirsty and also need to be given water to drink. We can provide water to them from the spring of water within us, and we can teach them to drink this water for themselves by coming to Christ.

This is where the majority of Christianity has fallen short - it thinks that mere teaching and letters of law, right versus wrong, can bring about victory over death and darkness. But the solution is clear - what is needed is Christ's life and light. The scriptures alone are not sufficient, what is also required is the Spirit to bring the words of the bible to life.

For example if a person has a struggle with an addiction, merely telling them they have a problem, telling them that it is wrong, quoting scripture at them, giving them books and teaching material about 'how to' overcome it by themselves, will help little. They are in death and darkness...so they need more life to overcome the death and light to overcome the darkness. The life will satisfy their inner hunger that causes them to turn to addiction, and the light will show them their true condition and why it is wrong. If a husband and wife always argue and fight, they also need more life and light. Life to satisfy them so that they are content and not always striving and arguing over small things, and light to show them that arguing and fighting does not please God. Disobedient children - telling them to behave, forcing them to behave, will achieve little. But if they receive Christ's life and light, they will come to realize that they should obey their parents and they will be satisfied in doing so.

But this life is not only for ourselves, our needs , or our problems, it is primarily for others - to have a river of life flowing out of us. But this is not our river, or an individual river, this is a river in the Body of Christ. As all the members of the body are joined to Christ and joined to each other, the river of life flowing through one member also flows in another. There is only one Spirit and one life that flows in and out of each of us, and from which we all drink:

1 Cor 12:13 ".....and we were all given the one Spirit to drink."

And if we meet together with other Christians not for mere activity, or duty, or service, or out of obligation, but come to Christ as the living water.. our experience of the life and light will be multiplied.

As the hymn goes:

There's a river of life flowing out of me,
Makes the lame to walk and the blind to see.
Open prison door the captive free,
There's a river of life flowing out of me.

Spring up oh well
Within my soul
Spring up oh well
And make me whole.
Spring up oh well
And give to me.
That life abundantly.

Last edited: