• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Not as I was

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Staff Member
"Oh that I were as in months past."—Job 29:2.

Numbers of Christians can view the past with pleasure, but regard the present with dissatisfaction; they look back upon the days which they have passed in communing with the Lord as being the sweetest and the best they have ever known, but as to the present, it is clad in a sable garb of gloom and dreariness. Once they lived near to Jesus, but now they feel that they have wandered from Him, and they say, "O that I were as in months past!"

They complain that they have lost their evidences, or that they have not present peace of mind, or that they have no enjoyment in the means of grace, or that conscience is not so tender, or that they have not so much zeal for God's glory. The causes of this mournful state of things are manifold.

It may arise through a comparative neglect of prayer, for a neglected closet is the beginning of all spiritual decline. Or it may be the result of idolatry. The heart has been occupied with something else, more than with God; the affections have been set on the things of earth, instead of the things of heaven. A jealous God will not be content with a divided heart; He must be loved first and best. He will withdraw the sunshine of His presence from a cold, wandering heart.

Or the cause may be found in self-confidence and self-righteousness. Pride is busy in the heart, and self is exalted instead of lying low at the foot of the cross. Christian, if you are not now as you "were in months past," do not rest satisfied with wishing for a return of former happiness, but go at once to seek your Master, and tell Him your sad state.

Ask His grace and strength to help you to walk more closely with Him; humble yourself before Him, and He will lift you up, and give you yet again to enjoy the light of His countenance. Do not sit down to sigh and lament; while the beloved Physician lives there is hope, nay there is a certainty of recovery for the worst cases.

Charles Spurgeon

Active
This is God speaking to my heart. My heart weeps and I feel as though my blood is cold; this life's affairs ripping such big holes. My son locked away and my elder in need; I should have left the boat, while they mended the nets. How beautiful our time was, me and my Lord. My Lord, my God catch me! Don't let me fall anymore.
I remember when you pick me up, indeed I was free. So full of life and fire; now look at me.

Make your choice I hear Him say. Yes, it was easy when the world forsook you; now how about you, the choice is yours

Active
Even told by the preacher, shaking his finger in my face, scoffing as he told me "you need to get your head out of the clouds and in the lesson!"

They loved me, the same way they loved HIM.
Amen and Amen.

Loyal
Even told by the preacher, shaking his finger in my face, scoffing as he told me "you need to get your head out of the clouds and in the lesson!"

They loved me, the same way they loved HIM.
Amen and Amen.
Help us dear Lord!

There is a now old saying that goes something like this:

"He/she is so heavenly minded, he/she is no earthly good"

But have those who say that really read and understood the following verses penned by the Apostle Paul?

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live." Rom 8:5-13

Loyal
Even if at times it seems that we are standing alone, we really are not:

"And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." II Kings 6:16

Active
Thank you for reminding me of this devotional by Spurgeon. When I studied it on August 11th, it hit me hard. I was guilty of wishing for days past that the thorn in my side was not so sharp as it is today. I need to focus my attention and thanksgiving for today, for when I'm weak thru physical trials, my pride is broken, and the power of my Master is very powerful as I serve Him serving others needs.

Bless you my treasured friend, I love You!