• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

New Bible Question

I was wondering why it says in Matthew 27:9 that Jeremiah prophesised about the thirty pieces of silver for purchasing the potters field with the blood money but that prophecy was actually said by Zechariah in Zechariah 11:13

I was wondering why it says in Matthew 27:9 that Jeremiah prophesised about the thirty pieces of silver for purchasing the potters field with the blood money but that prophecy was actually said by Zechariah in Zechariah 11:13
Barnes offers these possibilities.
"The words quoted here are not to be found in the prophecy of Jeremiah. Words similar to these are recorded in Zechariah 11:12-13, and from that place this quotation has been doubtless made. Much difficulty has been experienced in explaining this quotation. In ancient times, according to the Jewish writers; "Jeremiah" was reckoned the first of the prophets, and was placed first in the "Book of the Prophets," thus: Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Isaiah, and the twelve minor prophets. Some have thought that Matthew, quoting this place, quoted the Book of the Prophets under the name of that which had the "first" place in the book, that is, Jeremiah; and though the words are those of Zechariah, yet they are quoted correctly as the words of the Book of the Prophets, the first of which was Jeremiah. Others have thought that there was a mistake made by ancient transcribers, writing the name Jeremiah instead of Zechariah; and it is observed that this might be done by the change of only a single letter. It was often the custom to abridge words in writing them. Thus, instead of writing the name of Jeremiah in full, it would be written in Greek, "Iriou." So Zechariah would be written "Zion." By the mere change of Zinto I, therefore, the mistake might easily be made. Probably this is the correct explanation."

Staff Member

Greetings @Wittywriter:)

Thank you for posting this question it is good to encourage active study of the Bible.

Although my simple mind can't offer an explanation, here is a link which discusses the topic.

Contradictions: Mixed Prophets

Loyal
It was a very common practice to speak of a Prophet with a different name than the one who actually spoke it.

Example:
John the Baptist was to come before Jesus to prepare his way. John would come in the same Spirit as Elijah,.

Speaking of John.....
Luk 1:17 and he will go before him in the spirit and power of Elijah, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the disobedient to the wisdom of the just, to make ready for the Lord a people prepared.”

Jesus's followers ask if Elijah had already come as was prophesied.

Mat 11:12 But from the time of John the Baptist till now, the Kingdom of the Heavens has been suffering violent assault, and the violent have been seizing it by force.
Mat 11:13 For all the Prophets and the Law taught until John.
Mat 11:14 And (if you are willing to receive it) he is the Elijah who was to come.

John the Baptist was not the person Elijah but John came with the same power, and the same Spirit as Elijah.

It is also interesting that in the Book of "Judges" those who were set up to judge the nation Israel were called "gods"

John 10:33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself, God.
John 10:34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
John 10:35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;

These mortal people who Jesus said were called gods were not gods per se, only that when they spoke it was the Spirit of God speaking through them. When the Lord God speaks through you, you are just the instrument being used, and God himself is the one speaking.