• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

my kids father is a non christian

Hello,
I became a christian over 12 months ago, just after splitting up with my partner of 8 years. We have 2 children an 8 yr old daughter & a 3 yr old son. My Ex is really anti christian and tried to stop me from taking the kids to church. That didn't work and they go every sunday and they love it. My daughter has really embraced it and loves learning about God.
When she goes to her dads she won't say grace as he doesn't do that and she isn't allowed to talk about God and she isn't allowed to take her bible (its a children's bible). He keeps telling her God is not real and even tried to take her out of RE (religious education) at her school. This is all new to her and it must be so hard on her hearing all the anti God stuff from her dad, He even allows/buys her demonic stuff that i don't like the kids having. Then coming home to a christian house... How do i get my kids through this?. How do i raise them as christians without him turning them against God?....
Michelle

You just have to trust, Michelle. God can use your 8-yr old daughter maybe even more than he can use you. You have to be "as a little child" to trust, and she is that. So, maybe you need to trust that God will use her to get through to her father.

This is not to say that you shouldn't talk about it with your daughter and explain that Daddy just doesn't know God yet. Just like you would talk with her about a movie that doesn't agree with some of your beliefs. And pray with her too, that she will have the courage to be understanding of things he says.

Perhaps the worst thing you could do is for her to see your fear . . . concern maybe, but not fear. Help her to go on visits with her dad and have the self-confidence that what she hears at RE is good and right. Just that Dad doesn't get it yet. I will pray for your situation that God will protect your daughter, and keep her in perfect peace.

Last edited:
Hi Michelle,

I will agree with honeybear on that you need to trust God and know that He is in control no matter where your little girl is. In Pslam 121 are words of encouragement from our Lord Himself.

I will lift up eyes to the hills--From whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, Who made heaven and earth. He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel Shall neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is your keeper; The Lord is your shade at your right hand. The sun shall not strike you by day Nor the moon by night. The Lord shall perserve you from all evil; He shall perserve your soul. The Lord shall perserve your going out and your coming in From this time forth, and even forevermore.

Our Lord Jesus wants you to know that no matter where your daughter is...just as He perserves you from all evil so He will do the same for her. He will watch over her constantly never slumbering or sleeping but keeping a watchful eye on her and protecting
her. He will perserve her going out and coming in. He will guide her footsteps and be right
there with her always.

As long as you her mother stay in the word and maintain your life with our Lord Jesus Christ your little girl will grow up with a strong example of what a Godly woman is... she will continue to grow in our Lord the more she learns. Keep taking her to church, read the Word of our Lord God with her and pray with her...also do these things with your son even though he is small it will plant that seed in him too. A child is never to young to learn of our Lord Jesus and His love.

You said that the children's father is not a believer and some of the things he says and does along with what he buys for them are things you don't approve of our like. One of the best things you can do is pray over your children every day. Pray God's blessings upon them and do it often and yes do it before they leave to go to their father's place. One of the most important things right now is that you don't give into the anger you feel toward your ex for doing what he is doing...instead turn that anger into prayer...talk with your daughter and ask her about her feelings and if she would like to pray with you for her daddy and that way satan cannot even begin to have a foothold on this situation...because you are defusing the anger with words of love
from our Lord Jesus in prayer. One of the best examples of Jesus is a parent who prays.

There is a battle going on but we cannot fight it alone...we are only human that is why we need Jesus...it is His battle and we are but soldiers in His army. In Ephesians we are told what armor to wear as we march behind our Lord Jesus into battle.

Ephesians6:18 Finally my brethern, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood,but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of darkness in this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore tqake up the whole armor of God, tht you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preperation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, whcih is the Word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints.

One of the most important things a child can have is a parent who loves them and prays for them...keep on standing in truth that is our Lord and Savior, Keep in His written word and pray for your children because its one of the most powerful things that a parent, aunt, grandparent, uncle can do because not only are we teaching them about our Lord and His word by praying for our children we are enlisting the very God that saved us to watch over, protect and save them and HE WILL!

I'm very happy for you that you are part of the family of our Lord Jesus Christ! I'll be praying for you and your children as well as for your ex that God would grab hold of him and his heart. If you ever need to talk you can pm anytime.

May God's blessings be with you and your children now and always!

Staff Member
This is not to say that you shouldn't talk about it with your daughter and explain that Daddy just doesn't know God yet. Just like you would talk with her about a movie that doesn't agree with some of your beliefs. And pray with her too, that she will have the courage to be understanding of things he says.
Exactly Michelle. It will help the child who is 8 understand which they do better than we know at that age, to understand a little on why Daddy doesn't like God.

As long as you her mother stay in the word and maintain your life with our Lord Jesus Christ your little girl will grow up with a strong example of what a Godly woman is... she will continue to grow in our Lord the more she learns. Keep taking her to church, read the Word of our Lord God with her and pray with her...also do these things with your son even though he is small it will plant that seed in him too. A child is never to young to learn of our Lord Jesus and His love.
Awesome! It's your example that will set the tone for your children. That is one of Love & Knowledge. This will especially be necessary for your son who is yet young, but time will fly by! Before you know it, and we all pray that their Daddy will have a change of heart, as prayers yours, your children, and all those who would step in the gap for you, will be brought forward to our mediator who is Christ Jesus! Yet your son will be looking to his Dad. All boys eventually wonder about their dad regardless whether he is a Christian or not. Yet, you will have set a foundation in Christ Jesus that will last a life time.
You said that the children's father is not a believer and some of the things he says and does along with what he buys for them are things you don't approve of our like. One of the best things you can do is pray over your children every day. Pray God's blessings upon them and do it often and yes do it before they leave to go to their father's place. One of the most important things right now is that you don't give into the anger you feel toward your ex for doing what he is doing...instead turn that anger into prayer...talk with your daughter and ask her about her feelings and if she would like to pray with you for her daddy and that way satan cannot even begin to have a foothold on this situation...because you are defusing the anger with words of love
from our Lord Jesus in prayer.
Romans 8:31-32
There in is a power your Ex will not be able to stand against. The power of prayer and the love of our Lord! He hears you dear sister. The Most High certainly will hear your petitions. Just don't lose heart! As always, it may not happen as quickly as we would like, but know who to put our trust in! Proverbs 3:5-6

John 14:16
Always remember Michelle you have sisters & brothers in Christ at TJ who share and if possible help carry the burdens you will face. So buck up and remember you're never alone!!!!!
Praying that you and your children will be covered by Our God, and that your ex one day may turn to and not away from the only one who can save him, in Christ Jesus! Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia! Amen!