• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

My dad is not a Christian.

Hello,

For a long time now I have often wanted to find opportunities to talk to my dad about becoming a Christian. He lives a decent life, but just doesn't believe in God. Have you had an opportunity to lead somebody to Christ? If so, can you share some ideas on how to start a discussion with him, what questions to ask that won't turn him off? I appreciate the suggestions, and a prayer that an opportunity will present itself.

Hello,

For a long time now I have often wanted to find opportunities to talk to my dad about becoming a Christian. He lives a decent life, but just doesn't believe in God. Have you had an opportunity to lead somebody to Christ? If so, can you share some ideas on how to start a discussion with him, what questions to ask that won't turn him off? I appreciate the suggestions, and a prayer that an opportunity will present itself.

Seek God and form a real, intimate relationship with Him, then as God continues to increase in u it will be obvious to those close to u and youll be a living testimony. People reject Christ because it comes off as nothing more than a belief or ideology. If christ becomes real to them as visible through u then people will come to Christ. In the meantime just continue to pray for ur father and for guidance of wut to say when the time is right

Staff Member
Welcome Aboard rSerge,
Tough one for any of us who have family members especially parents who don't know the Lord as their Savior. They’ve been there to wipe our noses when it was running, seen us at our worse. Now all of sudden we’ll be perceived as being high and mighty! It’s difficult at best. The best we can do is to pray; that not only you be given the opportunities to witness to him, but other believers may come into his life as well. There’s a lot of questions that only you have answers to. How often do you two talk? Does he live close by? Is your mom still alive, living with him, is she a believer? Get what mean? How’s he feel about your kids? Just because he doesn’t believe in God, doesn’t mean he would be against going to church with you. If not on a regular basis, maybe when your kids are involved in something as part of the church? It’s not just the sit down talks we have, sometimes the walk in our own lives will provide the example he will see that has the greatest affect. The changes in your own life will be something he might notice if not him, maybe others who might comment it to him. God is awesome and works in ways that we don’t always see.

Take the time to tell him your own testimony on why you believe as you believe. Write it down on paper. Believe it or not, it helps later when we give it to another either verbally or in print for them to read. 1 Peter 3:15 “But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,”

We love so hard and fear for those who do not know the Lord that we attempt to force them to understand what’s at stake. If you’ve tried that, I’m sure you’ve already found out it doesn’t work. It’s the old saying “you can take a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink”. Of cause it doesn’t mean that you never take the horse to water, it just means that you can’t force them, but it shouldn’t stop you from ever mentioning what is or should be the most important person in your life; Jesus. Just don’t beat him over the head with it! God will provide the opportunities, just be ready for them.

Read other peoples testimonies to see what was happening in their lives when they came to know the Lord as their Savior. They might provide insight to what your father is going through or may go through. Remember you need to continue to grow as well! Read the Word, continue to pray. God may decide to use you as the vessel that will bring your father to the Lord, which would be Awesome! Yet if God decides for this to happen by another route, it won’t change the Awesomeness of it either does it? We just don’t know, but God does and that’s why we bring it to the Lord, 1 John 5:14-15 “And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us: (15) And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desire of him.”

Always keep in mind that God wants all men to be saved! 1 Tim 2:4 “who wants all men to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.”

This knowledge of truth you already know, and is what you want for your father. So stay faithful, stay strong, and continue to pray! Know that you’re not alone, and that others will be praying with and for you as well.

Hello rserge.

It is a real strain on the heart to have family members that do not believe, my family are the most stubborn of all.

You have no option but to ask Jesus to open their eyes to the truth of Life.

In time they will soften and you will have more opportunities to share the Gospel with them.