• Welcome to Talk Jesus

    A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

    Register Log In

Ministry Gifts

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Member
And He gave some apostles: and some prophets: and some evangelists: and some pastors and teachers. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.


Ephesians 4:11&12 KJV


Let’s compare the human body to the body of Christ. The human body has five senses, hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch. These five senses are for the nurturing, maturing, and protection of the body. Here are some examples. If your hearing or sight is hindered, you could walk in the path of a moving vehicle and be injured. If your sense of touch is hindered, you could be burned badly. How about if your smell or taste is hindered, you could digest spoiled food and possibly get food poisoning. Can you see the importance of these senses? When one or more of our senses are hindered or disabled, our bodies are vulnerable.

Now, let’s look at the benefits of the senses working together. Have you noticed that touching an object reveals another dimension that might go unnoticed if you only used your sense of sight? Could you distinguish between chocolate and vanilla with only your sense of taste? Do you see the benefits of your senses working together? The same is true with the ministry gifts, which are the spiritual senses of the body of Christ. They must co-operate with each other, so that the body of Christ may grow and mature to the full character of Christ.

In the book of Acts, you can see all five ministry gifts working together. As a result, the body of Christ grew and matured. This is unlike the body of believers that we see today. Where are the five ministry gifts today? When there’s a lack of the five fold ministry in operation, you will see a body of believers that is vulnerable to the world and Satan!

While we need to distinguish one ministry gift from another, we should be careful not to recognize one as more important than another. They are all equally important to fulfilling the plan of God. Respectfully treat each one according to their function and never take them for granted. Please notice that ministry gifts are not titles, they are functions! When we address someone as Pastor So and So, we are not appreciating the gift. Instead we are esteeming that person. Here’s some examples. If someone plays the tuba in a orchestra, would you say “Hello tuba player Smith” or “tuba musician Jones” or “brass wind instrument technician Miller?” No you wouldn’t, that’s silliness! Webster's dictionary defines silliness as senseless. Get the picture?

Just because we have someone with a title, that ministry gift is not necessarily present or functioning. When we use the name of a ministry gift as a title we are honoring man for something God is doing.

The ministry gifts have nothing to do with a person’s natural abilities. Jesus said to Paul, “ My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”

II Corinthians 12:9 KJV

Paul said, “ I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 KJV

Because Paul was dead to himself the grace, power, authority, and ministry gifts of Christ, were made manifest and manifold in Paul by Christ. In determining leadership in the body of Christ, one of the ministry gifts should be present and apparent. But the most important quality is not preaching. It is servant-hood. It is to put the needs of others before your own needs. Earlier I said that when our senses are hindered, it leaves the body vulnerable. Well listen, nothing hinders the ministry gifts more than pride. The best way to keep pride from entering into the picture is to maintain an attitude of a servant. I have found that this quality is not to be taught, but must be imparted. In order for it to be imparted , it must first be demonstrated, if you don’t have a servant’s attitude you can’t impart it.

So let’s give respect to those who have the responsibility of a ministry gift. But let us also give the honor to the giver of the gifts, Jesus.

“ Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

James1:16&17 KJV
 
Last edited:
Member
jiggyfly said:
And He gave some apostles: and some prophets: and some evangelists: and some pastors and teachers. For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.


Ephesians 4:11&12 KJV


Let’s compare the human body to the body of Christ. The human body has five senses, hearing, sight, smell, taste, and touch. These five senses are for the nurturing, maturing, and protection of the body. Here are some examples. If your hearing or sight is hindered, you could walk in the path of a moving vehicle and be injured. If your sense of touch is hindered, you could be burned badly. How about if your smell or taste is hindered, you could digest spoiled food and possibly get food poisoning. Can you see the importance of these senses? When one or more of our senses are hindered or disabled, our bodies are vulnerable.

Now, let’s look at the benefits of the senses working together. Have you noticed that touching an object reveals another dimension that might go unnoticed if you only used your sense of sight? Could you distinguish between chocolate and vanilla with only your sense of taste? Do you see the benefits of your senses working together? The same is true with the ministry gifts, which are the spiritual senses of the body of Christ. They must co-operate with each other, so that the body of Christ may grow and mature to the full character of Christ.

In the book of Acts, you can see all five ministry gifts working together. As a result, the body of Christ grew and matured. This is unlike the body of believers that we see today. Where are the five ministry gifts today? When there’s a lack of the five fold ministry in operation, you will see a body of believers that is vulnerable to the world and Satan!

While we need to distinguish one ministry gift from another, we should be careful not to recognize one as more important than another. They are all equally important to fulfilling the plan of God. Respectfully treat each one according to their function and never take them for granted. Please notice that ministry gifts are not titles, they are functions! When we address someone as Pastor So and So, we are not appreciating the gift. Instead we are esteeming that person. Here’s some examples. If someone plays the tuba in a orchestra, would you say “Hello tuba player Smith” or “tuba musician Jones” or “brass wind instrument technician Miller?” No you wouldn’t, that’s

Just because we have someone with a title, that ministry gift is not necessarily present or functioning. When we use the name of a ministry gift as a title we are honoring man for something God is doing.

The ministry gifts have nothing to do with a person’s natural abilities. Jesus said to Paul, “ My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.”

II Corinthians 12:9 KJV

Paul said, “ I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Galatians 2:20 KJV

Because Paul was dead to himself the grace, power, authority, and ministry gifts of Christ, were made manifest and manifold in Paul by Christ. In determining leadership in the body of Christ, one of the ministry gifts should be present and apparent. But the most important quality is not preaching. It is servant-hood. It is to put the needs of others before your own needs. Earlier I said that when our senses are hindered, it leaves the body vulnerable. Well listen, nothing hinders the ministry gifts more than pride. The best way to keep pride from entering into the picture is to maintain an attitude of a servant. I have found that this quality is not to be taught, but must be imparted. In order for it to be imparted , it must first be demonstrated, if you don’t have a servant’s attitude you can’t impart it.

So let’s give respect to those who have the responsibility of a ministry gift. But let us also give the honor to the giver of the gifts, Jesus.

“ Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.”

James1:16&17 KJV
Amen Jiggyfly

This is a good post. There are those who try to wear the titles but dont possess the goods. Some are just be a "wanna be" and others are full of pride enjoying being called Apostles, Prophet, etc. Of course all are not like that. Titles mean nothing to them and many dont wear one, altho others may call them by such titles. Those who are truly called dont need to "flaunt " it since their gifts and function in the body of Christ shows what they are called to.
 
Member
thanks Gloria I had forgotten I had posted this and found that I left out a sentence in the middle. I appreciate your maturity and have been enlightened by your posts also.
 
Member
jiggyfly said:
thanks Gloria I had forgotten I had posted this and found that I left out a sentence in the middle. I appreciate your maturity and have been enlightened by your posts also.
Thanks Jiggyfly

I enjoy your posts also . You are a blessing to the body of Christ.

I did notice "part" of a sentence lol. Now its edited and I dont know where it is. Would you please post a few lines where you corrected it? Thanks!
 
Member
jiggyfly said:
While we need to distinguish one ministry gift from another, we should be careful not to recognize one as more important than another. They are all equally important to fulfilling the plan of God. Respectfully treat each one according to their function and never take them for granted. Please notice that ministry gifts are not titles, they are functions! When we address someone as Pastor So and So, we are not appreciating the gift. Instead we are esteeming that person. Here’s some examples. If someone plays the tuba in a orchestra, would you say “Hello tuba player Smith” or “tuba musician Jones” or “brass wind instrument technician Miller?” No you wouldn’t, that’s silliness! Webster's dictionary defines silliness as senseless. Get the picture?
Gloria it's the last two and a half sentences in this paragraph.
 
Member
Excellent messages jiggyfly and Gloria!

"We who minister the Gospel can well take note of all this, as well as we intercessors.We share the grace of God so that others become partakers of it with us. When Paul said ye all are partakers of my grace in Phil 1:7, he used the word sugkoinonós. This defines "someone who partakes jointly with another." The latter part of the word, koinonos, itself means "a fellow partaker." We might think it would be a word strong enough, but Paul strengthened it with a prefix itself meaning "together with." He was saying, "Together we share the grace together." Oh, what a strong communion! In Paul’s praying, whatever grace had found release in him came over on those for whom he prayed."

© Berean Ministries

Phi 1:7 Even as it is meet for me to think this of you all, because I have you in my heart; inasmuch as both in my bonds, and in the defence and confirmation of the gospel, ye all are partakers of my grace.
 
Member
God is not interested in titles...I don't think they impress Him at all. He wants us make ourselves available for His use and not try to major on our ability(ies); to humble ourselves and become servants to/for Him and His work in the body of believers. May "self" be seen no more and let Jesus be the Light that shines forth from us to light the path for us and others to follow. Together, as the cords of a rope or links of a chain, we are strengthened and share all God's blessings as the family of God.
 
Member
TDS52 said:
God is not interested in titles...I don't think they impress Him at all. He wants us make ourselves available for His use and not try to major on our ability(ies); to humble ourselves and become servants to/for Him and His work in the body of believers. May "self" be seen no more and let Jesus be the Light that shines forth from us to light the path for us and others to follow. Together, as the cords of a rope or links of a chain, we are strengthened and share all God's blessings as the family of God.
Amen! TDS52 "Let the Chiefest among you be the servant to all." As far as I'm concerned Jesus is still in charge and calling the shots in the Body of Christ.
 

Similar threads

Top