• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Messianic Prophecy

Administrator
Staff Member
Messianic Prophecy: What Is It?
Messianic prophecy is the collection of over 300 predictions in the Old Testament about the future Messiah of the Jewish people. These predictions were written by multiple authors, in numerous books, over approximately 1,000 years. Messianic Prophecy is so dramatic today, because with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls and the reliability of the Septuagint version of the Old Testament (both of which have been proven to exist prior to the time Jesus walked on the earth) you can be assured that these prophecies were not “conspired” after-the-fact.

Messianic Prophecy: Fulfillment by Jesus Christ
Messianic prophecy was fulfilled by the Messiah, Jesus Christ. Although many Jews did not accept Jesus as their Messiah, many did, and they became the Jewish sect later known as the Christians. Christianity, based in dramatic part on the fulfillment of historical prophecy, spread rapidly throughout the Roman Empire of the 1st Century. Examine the prophecies yourself, and calculate the probability of one man fulfilling just a handful of the most specific ones, and you’ll be amazed.

“Jesus said to them, ‘This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.’” Luke 24:44 (NIV)

The Old Testament verses are the prophecy; the New Testament verses proclaim the fulfillment. Check them all out for yourself!

Born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14; Matthew 1:21-23)
A descendant of Abraham (Genesis 12:1-3; 22:18; Matthew 1:1; Galatians 3:16)
Of the tribe of Judah (Genesis 49:10; Luke 3:23, 33; Hebrews 7:14)
Of the house of David (2 Samuel 7:12-16; Matthew 1:1)
Born in Bethlehem (Micah 5:2, Matthew 2:1; Luke 2:4-7)
Taken to Egypt (Hosea 11:1; Matthew 2:14-15)
Herod´s killing of the infants (Jeremiah 31:15; Matthew 2:16-18)
Anointed by the Holy Spirit (Isaiah 11:2; Matthew 3:16-17)
Heralded by the messenger of the Lord (John the Baptist) (Isaiah 40:3-5; Malachi 3:1; Matthew 3:1-3)
Would perform miracles (Isaiah 35:5-6; Matthew 9:35)
Would preach good news (Isaiah 61:1; Luke 4:14-21)
Would minister in Galilee (Isaiah 9:1; Matthew 4:12-16)
Would cleanse the Temple (Malachi 3:1; Matthew 21:12-13)
Would first present Himself as King 173,880 days from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25; Matthew 21:4-11)
Would enter Jerusalem as a king on a donkey (Zechariah 9:9; Matthew 21:4-9)
Would be rejected by Jews (Psalm 118:22; I Peter 2:7)
Die a humiliating death (Psalm 22; Isaiah 53) involving:
- rejection (Isaiah 53:3; John 1:10-11; 7:5,48)
- betrayal by a friend (Psalm 41:9; Luke 22:3-4; John 13:18)
- sold for 30 pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12; Matthew 26:14-15)
- silence before His accusers (Isaiah 53:7; Matthew 27:12-14)
- being mocked (Psalm 22: 7-8; Matthew 27:31)
- beaten (Isaiah 52:14; Matthew 27:26)
- spit upon (Isaiah 50:6; Matthew 27:30)
- piercing His hands and feet (Psalm 22:16; Matthew 27:31)
- being crucified with thieves (Isaiah 53:12; Matthew 27:38)
- praying for His persecutors (Isaiah 53:12; Luke 23:34)
- piercing His side (Zechariah 12:10; John 19:34)
- given gall and vinegar to drink (Psalm 69:21, Matthew 27:34, Luke 23:36)
- no broken bones (Psalm 34:20; John 19:32-36)
- buried in a rich man´s tomb (Isaiah 53:9; Matthew 27:57-60)
- casting lots for His garments (Psalm 22:18; John 19:23-24)
Would rise from the dead!! (Psalm 16:10; Mark 16:6; Acts 2:31)
Ascend into Heaven (Psalm 68:18; Acts 1:9)
Would sit down at the right hand of God (Psalm 110:1; Hebrews 1:3)

Last edited by a moderator:
Prophecies of Christ

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
I love to read and study the prophecies because they are a miracle that just about anyone can see for themselves using only their Bible. God also acknowledges this miracle. The Lord Jesus taught His church the miracle of prophecy for use as a witness - see Lk 24:27-32, Heb 1:1-2, Acts 8:30-35, I Pet 1:10-12, Eph 2:20, and Acts 26:27-28.

Chad had a pretty thorough list so rather than post mine I thought I would mention a few that I don't think are shown. One is the entire chapter of Ezekiel 34. It shows our Lord Jesus moving the unfaithful shepherds (Pharisees) aside and Jesus (God) himself being the Good Shepherd. He binds up the injured, and then also applies discipline to His Church. Read the whole chapter through carefully.

Proverbs 30:4 mentions God and His Son. While the Trinity is a difficult issue it is thoroughly presented in the Old Testament. See Jesus before His father in Daniel 7:13-14. See the timing of the Messiah in Daniel 9. See a glimpse of end times in Daniel 12:2-4.

I do not think the church does enough to teach the prophecies. They are so powerful for teaching and witnessing.

I would like to hear the thoughts of others on this.

If we know prophecy we can show people how things that happen each day are certain prophecies being fulfilled, and they are more likely to become believers. Everytime I hear the news scriptures from the Word of God come to me. It used to be occasioonaly but time is so short now that things are really happending fast!!!

James 5:8Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh.

Rev. 3 10Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. 11Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. 12Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name

Rev. 22:7Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev. 22:20He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.

Chad,
This fall at our children's christian school a new family came. The mother was Jewish with a strong faith in God. A long story short by christmas she was saved. She has been studying very hard to learn about Jesus. You know what she said to me "IT WAS ALL THERE ALL ALONG" why did I never see it before. She said the old testament points to Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. It is cool to hear her. But pray for her because her family is really giving her a hard time about her conversion. We should all continue to pray the Jewish people will continue to come to Jesus.

your sister in Christ,
ALabasterBox :girl:

:rainbow:

Power of Prophecy

Dear Alabasterbox,
That is encouraging. YES! IT WAS THERE ALL ALONG. I also think that the prophecies are to be used in witness to the world. For example Muslims say that the Bible is "changed" and that Christianity was invented by Paul, but in reality the Christian message is found throughout the Old Testament. I have seen only vain attempts (mostly by Atheists) to refute the Bible prophecies. Pretty remarkable when Old Testament prophecies are a core element of Christian apologetics.

A list of prophecies organized by Bible passage is found at:

http://www.islamreview.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1105412153

I believe that the Internet is a good tool for witness. Share the prophecies with your friends and also the rest of the world, to point all to our blessed Lord Jesus Christ!