• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Matthew 6-7

Loyal
Matthew 6:7 KJV

“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”

Me, Fresh out of the Catholic church roughly 3 months, I find myself always searching the bible for contradictions of some the things the catholic faith teaches that are in direct conflict from the bible as I understand it.

KJ version for this particular verse, to me is in direct conflict in what catholic church teach on a couple of things.
1. Confession, (which is another topic) but when you go to confession your penance the priest gives you is
Praying a prayer a certain amount of times. To me that is in direct conflict of repetition praying that in
Matthew 6-7 describes.

2. The rosary bead(a whole nother topic) is nothing but repetition praying.

Would love to here if anybody has any thoughts on the subject or if you have a different opinion on the subject, would love to here it.

I will say in other versions of the bible to me the message is not as clear as the KJV for example
Matthew 6-7 English Standard Version
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.

Loyal
Believe me friend, it is not only Catholics who are guilty of using "vain repetitions". People are always wanting to find a shortcut to all of the blessings of God. The truly best way to go is the way that contains every difficult situation for you and for me. The ones who have to gather up all the stones cluttering our pathway are you and me. Yet, alone we cannot do this.

"But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." Matt 12:36-37

So where do we get the right words for each moment that we need to speak?

"But I am the LORD thy God, that divided the sea, whose waves roared: The LORD of hosts is his name.

And I have put my words in thy mouth, and I have covered thee in the shadow of mine hand, that I may plant the heavens, and lay the foundations of the earth, and say unto Zion, Thou art my people." Isa 51:15-16

"And he asked for a writing table, and wrote, saying, His name is John. And they marvelled all.

And his mouth was opened immediately, and his tongue loosed, and he spake, and praised God." Luke 1:63-64

God will give us the right words at the right time... if we trust Him. Pushing ahead of God will get us into our own ditch pretty fast. Lagging behind God is not a better plan.

Everyone works for God, but very few regularly work with Him. We need to pray for this... that we may always be exactly with Him.

Jesus
“But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.”

Me, Fresh out of the Catholic church roughly 3 months, I find myself always searching the bible for contradictions of some the things the catholic faith teaches that are in direct conflict from the bible as I understand it.

KJ version for this particular verse, to me is in direct conflict in what catholic church teach on a couple of things.
1. Confession, (which is another topic) but when you go to confession your penance the priest gives you is
Praying a prayer a certain amount of times. To me that is in direct conflict of repetition praying that in
Matthew 6-7 describes.

Would love to here if anybody has any thoughts on the subject or if you have a different opinion on the subject, would love to here it.

I will say in other versions of the bible to me the message is not as clear as the KJV for example
“And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words.
You need to read that verse in the context in what Jesus intended: Matt. 6:7 - Jesus teaches, "do not heap up empty phrases" in prayer. - But Jesus' focus in this instruction is on the "vain," and not on the "repetition."
» Matt. 26:44 - for example, Jesus prayed a third time in the garden of Gethsemane, saying the exact same words again. It is not the repetition that is the issue. It's the vanity. God looks into our heart, not solely at our words.
» Acts 10:2,4 - Cornelius prayed constantly to the Lord and his prayers ascended as a memorial before God.

And so on.....

Matthew 6-7 describes.

I am not catholic, but was always fascinated with the idea of how the religion worked. Even as recently as last year I found myself wondering "Are Catholics doing something I should be doing? Do they know of ways to be closer to God than I have been able to find?" I have since leaned to scripture for understanding and wisdom. From what I gather, the Catholic religion is based upon what many would refer to as "works salvation." For instance, do this, and God will forgive you, as opposed to having faith: "repent of your sins, and believe on Jesus and have everlasting life". I do not believe that any priest, (that includes the Pope) has any authority to be going around forgiving sins. Since Jesus=God, Jesus was the only man who ever lived that had authority to forgive sins here on earth. (Check out the following scripture, but I encourage you to read around it in your own bible so that you understand what was going on in these verses)

Matthew 9:6 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (then saith he to the sick of the palsy,) Arise, take up thy bed, and go unto thine house.
Mark 2:7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?
Mark 2:10 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins, (he saith to the sick of the palsy,)
Luke 5:21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?
Luke 5:24 But that ye may know that the Son of man hath power upon earth to forgive sins, (he said unto the sick of the palsy,) I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy couch, and go into thine house.

I agree with @amadeus2 that Catholics are not the only ones guilty of uttering vain repetitions, and yes, we will all be held accountable for ever idle word we speak. I think it is unfortunate that many Catholics truly love and worship Jesus, but are led to believe in doctrine that just isn't sound, and are not always encouraged to study the scriptures.

If you want to see what disturbing and vain repetitions sound like: Check out the video below. (Nothing about what is going on in this video is biblical/Godly).

I did not add the subtitles, someone who posted the video included their own thoughts:

(FYI the word "legacy" is NOWHERE in the Holy Bible)

God bless @Dave M ! Keep thinking bible!! :D

Active
Pray according to the Word of God; when it says I pray... pray that
Pray for spiritual, eternal blessings of God upon you and others.
Do not pray as the heathen does, making long prayer and vain repetitions desiring more money, a job promotion, a new house, a new car........ these are carnal and temporal. These things are the lust of the flesh and the pride of life; this bondage separates us from God, not the world.
God will bless us with our heart's desire.
Now, check self's heart; is it lusting for more of God, or more of this world?
Seek ye treasures in heaven, for where your treasure is there will be your heart also.
When we settle for the things of this world; we are told, we have are reward.
All praise, glory and honor be unto God. Amen

Active

Matthew 6-7 describes.

Many bash the Catholic church on many things that should really just be Rom 14:5 differences.

It is not the end of the world to repeat things as they do. For me it is this added with all the others that is just too much unnecessary religiosity.

Loyal

Matthew 6-7 describes.

Dave, this slightly off subject I also came out of the Catholic religion. We, my Lady, my daughters, and I, are word weavers and readers, so the first book I read when I was born again was called 50 Years in the Church of Rome by CHARLES CHINIQUY. It shows the evils of this religion, and it is an evil religion in spite of so many good and devout people that are stuck in, and deceived by it.
In the style of the times, it is a dry and dusty tome, but it contains some very interesting insights that you should know about...much of it may be painfully familiar to you as well. In spite of it's style of writing I found it a very good read, even admitting it took some self discipline to get all the way through. Honestly you will love Charles and will want to know the outcome of his quest.. You can get it here for free...Simply click on file/ save page as/ and put it where you want it..on your puter......But you know how to do that. :) http://arcticbeacon.com/books/Chiniquy-Fifty_Years_in_the_Church_of_Rome-1886-NOT-Bkmrkd.pdf

Loyal
Many thanks Bendito I love reading !!

what exactly is a word weaver :)

LOL A word weaver, little brother, is one who weaves words into pictures and emotional response in your heart and mind.. A word weaver is a writer.