• Hi Guest!

You may be aware that "big tech" has been aggressively censoring conservatives on Twitter, Facebook, Google, Instagram, YouTube and other social media platforms. This is tyrannical and suppressive towards Christians and conservatives.

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Matthew 25

Loyal
I'd like to do these in reverse order and start at the bottom. We start off with the familiar passage about the sheep and the goats

Matt 25:31; "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.
Matt 25:32; "All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;
Matt 25:33; and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
Matt 25:34; "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.
Matt 25:35; 'For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
Matt 25:36; naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.'
Matt 25:37; "Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
Matt 25:38; 'And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
Matt 25:39; 'When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?'
Matt 25:40; "The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
Matt 25:41; "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;
Matt 25:42; for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
Matt 25:43; I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.'
Matt 25:44; "Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?'
Matt 25:45; "Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.'
Matt 25:46; "These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

This passage in always controversial to some, because it flies in the face of "grace only". But the bottom line here is, there are two groups of 'people' (tongue in cheek)
The sheep and the goats. What makes someone a sheep or a goat? According to this passage, it's what you do or don't do that makes you a sheep or a goat.
We also see two destinations here. Verse 34 says those "on the right" get to inherit the kingdom prepared for (them).
Those on the left (it's difficult not to insert a liberal joke here) go into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.
W may not be saved by works, but it seems we are expected to do some things.

Loyal
We see another familiar passage about the talents.

Matt 25:14; "For it is just like a man about to go on a journey, who called his own slaves and entrusted his possessions to them.
Matt 25:15; "To one he gave five talents, to another, two, and to another, one, each according to his own ability; and he went on his journey.
Matt 25:16; "Immediately the one who had received the five talents went and traded with them, and gained five more talents.
Matt 25:17; "In the same manner the one who had received the two talents gained two more.
Matt 25:18; "But he who received the one talent went away, and dug a hole in the ground and hid his master's money.
Matt 25:19; "Now after a long time the master of those slaves *came and *settled accounts with them.
Matt 25:20; "The one who had received the five talents came up and brought five more talents, saying, 'Master, you entrusted five talents to me. See, I have gained five more talents.'
Matt 25:21; "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'
Matt 25:22; "Also the one who had received the two talents came up and said, 'Master, you entrusted two talents to me. See, I have gained two more talents.'
Matt 25:23; "His master said to him, 'Well done, good and faithful slave. You were faithful with a few things, I will put you in charge of many things; enter into the joy of your master.'
Matt 25:24; "And the one also who had received the one talent came up and said, 'Master, I knew you to be a hard man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you scattered no seed.
Matt 25:25; 'And I was afraid, and went away and hid your talent in the ground. See, you have what is yours.'
Matt 25:26; "But his master answered and said to him, 'You wicked, lazy slave, you knew that I reap where I did not sow and gather where I scattered no seed.
Matt 25:27; 'Then you ought to have put my money in the bank, and on my arrival I would have received my money back with interest.
Matt 25:28; 'Therefore take away the talent from him, and give it to the one who has the ten talents.'
Matt 25:29; "For to everyone who has, more shall be given, and he will have an abundance; but from the one who does not have, even what he does have shall be taken away.
Matt 25:30; "Throw out the worthless slave into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

There is a master, and three slaves (some Bibles say servants). The master gives all three servants some talents.
In a way this parable relates very closely to the one above, the sheep shared what they had, the goats didn't.
Two of the servants invest their talents for the master. Both of them are told "well done". They are called "good and faithful".

The third servant is really the crux of the parable here. Like the goats, he didn't share. In fact he didn't invest his talent at all. He hid it in the dirt.
Now interestingly enough, the servant doesn't "lose" the talent, in verse 25, he offers the give the master back the talent he gave him.
Again we see two "destinations" here. The two faithful servants are told "enter into the joy of your master".
The third servant is called "wicked and lazy". He is told he will be thrown into the "outer darkness" where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Again, like the parable of the sheep and the goats, it seems to depend on what you do or don't do, that makes you a good and faithful servant, or a wicked and lazy servant.

Loyal
At the beginning of the chapter we see yet another familiar passage about the 10 virgins.

Matt 25:1; "Then the kingdom of heaven will be comparable to ten virgins, who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom.
Matt 25:2; "Five of them were foolish, and five were prudent.
Matt 25:3; "For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them,
Matt 25:4; but the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.
Matt 25:5; "Now while the bridegroom was delaying, they all got drowsy and began to sleep.
Matt 25:6; "But at midnight there was a shout, 'Behold, the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.'
Matt 25:7; "Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps.
Matt 25:8; "The foolish said to the prudent, 'Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.'
Matt 25:9; "But the prudent answered, 'No, there will not be enough for us and you too; go instead to the dealers and buy some for yourselves.'
Matt 25:10; "And while they were going away to make the purchase, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding feast; and the door was shut.
Matt 25:11; "Later the other virgins also came, saying, 'Lord, lord, open up for us.'
Matt 25:12; "But he answered, 'Truly I say to you, I do not know you.'
Matt 25:13; "Be on the alert then, for you do not know the day nor the hour.

Why virgins? There are quite a few commentaries on this. Most seem to think this symbolizes innocence and purity.
Like the other two parables in the chapter, we see three group of people. The bridegroom. The five prudent virgins, and the five foolish virgins.
All 10 virgins start off with oil. Again, there is a lot of debate about what the oil is. Most commentaries say it is the Holy Spirit. But whatever it is,
five of the virgins don't bring "extra" and eventually run out. It wasn't like they never had the oil in the first place.
The obvious question here is... do you have any oil in your flask? Are you almost out? Is your candle lit, or has your fire gone out?
I notice in verse 9 here, the foolish ask the wise to "share" some of their oil. But the wise say "no", "go buy your own".

Now the crux of the parable is really "bad timing". The five foolish virgins went away to buy some oil. But while they were away...
What if they would have made it back on time? Unlike Matt 7:21; he doesn't say I "never" knew you. He says "I don't know you" (now).
Jesus ends this parable with... "be on the alert" because you don't know when the master is coming.

( see 1 Thes 5:6; Matt 24:42-43; Mark 13:33-35; Mark 13:37; Luke 12:37; Luke 21:36; Acts 20:31; Col 4:2; etc.. )

Loyal
First off thanks for sharing and wonderful insight brother, love it !! the evidence of being saved should be the light we bring forth. People should see the evidence in how we live and what we DO.

Romans 13:12
The night is far gone; the day is at hand. So then let us cast off the works of darkness and put on the armor of light

John 8:12
Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.

Ephesians 5:8
For at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________-
Jesus ends this parable with... "be on the alert" because you don't know when the master is coming.
@B-A-C in the above verse would you consider that to me more geared towards the rapture or his second coming?? The reason I as is I think his second coming can be calculated to a certain point once certain events happen, yet if its the rapture that might be at any time.

ps
little off topic so just ignore question if think thread might to wonder :smile:

Active
@B-A-C,
That is good information... Matthew 25 is a warning to the Church of Christ. Jesus will return and judge His Church, before the White Throne Judgment happens, and give the goats (tares in the body of Christ) their part with the unbelievers.

1 Peter 4:17
For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
1 Peter 4:18
And if the righteous scarcely be saved, "where" shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

The disobedient virgins didn't walk in the anointing. They were walking in their own way and not "abiding" in the anointing of Christ. The five disobedient virgins would not repent, and when the Bridegroom came it was to late. This is why scriptures teach, "you know not what hour Jesus is coming" (Mat.25:13).

Matthew 13:41
The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;

John 15:6
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Those that Christ "never knew" are those the seed of Christ fell on, which was the Stoney ground. Every time trails and tribulation came to try them, they would not allow themselves to stand; they had no root in Christ. They never put on Christ's character (Mat. 13:20,21).

Those that Christ said, "I don't know you," are those the seed of Christ fell on, which were thorny ground. These loves the world more than Christ (Mat. 13:22). These are lukewarm believers.

Revelation 3:15
I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot:I would thou wert cold or hot.
Revelation 3:16
So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.