• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Loving My self ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Loving My self ?

Is it good to love one's self? It kinda sounds not to be a good thing to do, as we have all known, and heard of people who were only into their own self's. It must be a good thing to love our self's, after all, Jesus did say.....

“….Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. ….” (Mark 12:31)

Then we find another scripture that seems to say the complete opposite. Jesus said....

Luke 14:26 If any man come to me, and HATE NOT his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, AND HIS OWN LIFE ALSO, HE CANNOT BE MY DISCIPLE.

Surely, “HATE”, and “LOVE” are complete opposites!! In fact the opposite of hate is love, and the opposite of love is hate!! The Greek word used for hate means, “to loveless”. So, what shall we do, and believe if we have two different commands that say two different things from Jesus himself?

I believe if we go back and read the verse just before where Jesus said "we are to love our neighbors as our self's" we will get a more clear understanding. One of the scribes came to Jesus, and asked him what was the greatest of ALL commandments? Jesus said....

Mark 12:29 And Jesus answered him, THE FIRST OF ALL THE COMMANDMENTS IS, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
Mark 12:30 And THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIND, AND WITH ALL THY STRENGTH: THIS IS THE FIRST COMMANDMENT.
Mark 12:31 And THE SECOND IS LIKE, NAMELY THIS, THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOUR AS THYSELF. There is none other commandment greater than these.

Notice: We can NOT love our neighbor as our self, until we do the “FIRST” commandment which is to love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength!!! The “SECOUND” commandment is not possible until we do the first commandment!!! This is why Jesus put them in this order!!

We can not love God until we first hate (loveless) ourselves, and put him (God) number one above our self's!!! Now the order would be, God first, people second, and lastly our self's.

As a Christian the part we should “love” about our self's is God in us!!! Remember, we died on the cross with Jesus, and it is no longer “I” that lives, but Christ lives in me!!!!

Gal 2:20 I AM CRUCIFIED WITH CHRIST: NEVERTHELESS I LIVE; YET NOT I, BUT CHRIST LIVETH IN ME: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Christ is the NEW you!!!! That old self (“I”) died 2000 years ago, and Christ is our new self!! This is why scripture tells us.....

2Co 3:18 And all of us, as with unveiled face, [because we] continued to behold [in the Word of God] AS IN A MIRROR THE GLORY OF THE LORD, are constantly being transfigured into His very own image in ever increasing splendor and from one degree of glory to another; [for this comes] from the Lord [Who is] the Spirit. (AMP)

The veil has been taken away from our eyes so we can see in the “MIRROR” the Glory of the Lord!!!

Ask your self, who do you see when you look into a mirror? You see yourself!!! When we look into the mirror of God's Word we see the Glory of God inside us, because that is where he is!!!!! In his Church!!! We have this treasure in earthen vessels!!!!

When we love our self's we are actually loving God in us, because our old self died on the cross a long time ago!!!