• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Love your God more than yourself and with all your power what does it mean to you?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
It seems the definition of love has changed over the years, but I like the definition I have out of an old dictionary that is over a hundred years old.

Love is simply caring about someone else more than you do yourself. It sounds simple enough, but in real practice.... it isn't always that easy.

We are supposed to love God more than anyone or anything, even more than ourselves. (Hence the definition of love).

The Bible doesn't say we can't do anything else... in fact in addition to loving God, we are supposed to love one another, and love our neighbors.
Technically we are supposed to care more about them than we do ourselves as well. Most of us aren't very good at it.

Jesus said if we love Him we will keep the commandments, but most of us don't that very well either.

The Bible talks about denying yourself, putting aside your old desires and lusts. It says we have been "crucified" with Jesus. Obviously we aren't physically dead on a cross,
Then means putting what God wants ahead of want we want. It means making Him LORD. Many people call Him Lord (at least in title) but they don't obey Him like people
used to obey "Lords" back in previous generations. If you don't obey Him, is He really your Lord?

If you're always putting what YOU want (I'm not talking to pastorkarl here, but everyone reading this) before what God wants, are you really loving Him?
I suspect we all do this at least a little, (I know I do sometimes) But how often do we prove to God that we do love Him? That we really are willing to
put what He wants and says ahead of what we want to do?

The Bible says if say we love God but hate our brothers (and sisters) we are a liar.
The Bible says we can't serve God and wealth, we will love one them, and hate the other one. But how many of us put making money ahead of what God wants?

Indeed how many of of us have "really" crucified the old flesh and desires? How many of really deny ourselves and put God first in everything?

Loyal
One of the commands given to people in the old testament was...

Deut 6:5; "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.

Now of course... that was old testament. But Jesus said in the new testament...

Matt 22:37; And He said to him, " 'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.'
Mark 12:30; AND YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.'
Luke 10:27; And he answered, "YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND; AND YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."

So apparently this wasn't just an old testament thing.

When you love someone, you try to please them. I've noticed some marriages where two people have just quit trying, they've gotten selfish. It's more about what "I" want than what my husband/wife wants.
How many of us do the same thing with God? We say we love Him.... but we aren't really too concerned about pleasing Him.

I've actually heard a very known televangelist once say... "Loving God isn't required, we aren't under the law anymore"... but he did add "We 'should' love God, but it isn't an absolute requirement".

I'm not too sure about that. But even if that is the case, could be miss out on blessings if we don't God?

Rom 8:28; And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

I've heard people say... it doesn't matter too much if you love God, what really matters is that He loves you, and ... "nothing can change that". ( Rom 8:39 )

1 Cor 16:22; If anyone does not love the Lord, he is to be accursed. Maranatha.
Rev 2:4; 'But I have this against you, that you have left your first love.

Does God really "have this against you"?

Luke 11:42; "But woe to you Pharisees! For you pay tithe of mint and rue and every kind of garden herb, and yet disregard justice and the love of God; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.
Luke 16:13; "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth."
John 5:42; but I know you, that you do not have the love of God in yourselves.

There are some warnings about this.

1 Jn 2:5; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:
1 Jn 3:17; But whoever has the world's goods, and sees his brother in need and closes his heart against him, how does the love of God abide in him?

1 Jn 4:20; If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for the one who does not love his brother whom he has seen, cannot love God whom he has not seen.
1 Jn 4:21; And this commandment we have from Him, that the one who loves God should love his brother also.
1 Jn 5:2; By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments.

There does appear to be some verses that say some things we do, does affect God's love for us.

John 14:21; "He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him."
John 15:10; "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love.

Jesus said if we keep the commandments, We will be loved by God. So then... what if don't keep the commandments?

1 Jn 5:3; For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

Jude 1:21; keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting anxiously for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to eternal life.

There are lot of rules and commandments mentioned above about loving God... but even if none of those verses existed... could we just .. Love God ?
Just for the sake of loving Him? Try to please Him, just for the sake of loving Him.

It seems whenever there is a rule or a law... "thou must love..." it becomes harder, because now it's something I "have" to do. But what if we just loved
because it's what we want to do. Love shouldn't be under compulsion. It should be a natural part of us.

1 Jn 4:8; The one who does not love does not know God, for God is love.

Love God with all your heart is keeping His Commandment and have the faith OF Jesus, not IN Jesus.