• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Lessons for Disciples

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
Lessons for Disciples

Luke 17:1-10 (NKJV)

1 Then He said to the disciples, "It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!
2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him."
5 And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."
6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.
7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'?
8 But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' "

In the above scripture by Luke, our Lord gives us certain precious truths along several different lines—capsules of consecrated teaching. He declares that offenses must come, "but woe to him by whom they come! Better that a millstone be hanged about his neck and he be cast into the sea." Here we have Divine sovereignty and human free will. The fact that offenses must come does not absolve us from blame if we cause offense.

Next, Jesus declared that forgiveness must be unlimited and oft repeated without weariness. It often may be overlooked that He said, "If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him" first of all, then, "if he repent, forgive him." We should tell our brother wherein he has offended us, and thereby ground may be reached for an understanding. That is better than to hide our resentment in the heart.

The apostles, no doubt seeing that this teaching on forgiveness called for more faith than they had, said, "Lord, increase our faith." I want you to notice Jesus' reply. He did not say He would increase their faith. What He did say was almost a reproof: "If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamore tree, Be thou plucked up by the root and be thou planted in the sea, and it would obey you." In other words: "It is not the quantity of faith that matters most. If you had even a little, you could be working wonders." We want more faith when even the exercises of a little will do the impossible.

Then our Lord moved on to point out a lesson on duty. He illustrates it by the reference to servants who have worked all day and have done their duty, yet are asked to perform extra tasks outside their regular schedule. It is the principle of the "second mile" all over again. The first mile is obligation, the second is privilege. Some of us pride ourselves upon doing our duty, but here the Lord gives us this startling word: "We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Has it ever occurred to you that you could do your duty and still be an unprofitable servant? How many pride themselves on duty and still are only like the Pharisees—servants, but knowing nothing of that "exceeding righteousness" which is Christ Himself.

It is that extra mile of doing things we don't have to do that reveals the Christian spirit. How many are "one-mile" Christians at prayer, at Bible reading, in their giving, in church-going, in forgiving others? How many in trouble only bear and endure it and go not the second mile of victory? How many in temptation merely suppress and do not surpass? How many will not go the way of consecration and separation? Some will give money but will not give self. We have unduly gloried duty and have failed to see that only Christ within us is true righteousness—that all else is but legalism, though it may profess His name.

Reflections on the Gospels by Vance Havner

Prayer: Heavenly Father, we thank you for the human free will you have given us, we thank you also for your Divine Sovereignty and your unfailing Love. May we search our hearts daily, forgiving others before seeking forgiveness for ourselves. Lord help us we pray, to appreciate all you require from us, is repentance, submission and faith, and that even a small amount of faith can move mountains in our lives and bring you the Glory you rightly deserve. In Jesus Name we pray. Amen

Lessons for Disciples

Luke 17:1-10 (NKJV)

1 Then He said to the disciples, "It is impossible that no offenses should come, but woe to him through whom they do come!
2 It would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were thrown into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.
3 Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
4 And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, 'I repent,' you shall forgive him."
5 And the apostles said to the Lord, "Increase our faith."
6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, 'Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.
7 And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, 'Come at once and sit down to eat'?
8 But will he not rather say to him, 'Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink'?
9 Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.
10 So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, 'We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.' "

In the above scripture by Luke, our Lord gives us certain precious truths along several different lines—capsules of consecrated teaching. He declares that offenses must come, "but woe to him by whom they come! Better that a millstone be hanged about his neck and he be cast into the sea." Here we have Divine sovereignty and human free will. The fact that offenses must come does not absolve us from blame if we cause offense.

Next, Jesus declared that forgiveness must be unlimited and oft repeated without weariness. It often may be overlooked that He said, "If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him" first of all, then, "if he repent, forgive him." We should tell our brother wherein he has offended us, and thereby ground may be reached for an understanding. That is better than to hide our resentment in the heart.

The apostles, no doubt seeing that this teaching on forgiveness called for more faith than they had, said, "Lord, increase our faith." I want you to notice Jesus' reply. He did not say He would increase their faith. What He did say was almost a reproof: "If you had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamore tree, Be thou plucked up by the root and be thou planted in the sea, and it would obey you." In other words: "It is not the quantity of faith that matters most. If you had even a little, you could be working wonders." We want more faith when even the exercises of a little will do the impossible.

Then our Lord moved on to point out a lesson on duty. He illustrates it by the reference to servants who have worked all day and have done their duty, yet are asked to perform extra tasks outside their regular schedule. It is the principle of the "second mile" all over again. The first mile is obligation, the second is privilege. Some of us pride ourselves upon doing our duty, but here the Lord gives us this startling word: "We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." Has it ever occurred to you that you could do your duty and still be an unprofitable servant? How many pride themselves on duty and still are only like the Pharisees—servants, but knowing nothing of that "exceeding righteousness" which is Christ Himself.

It is that extra mile of doing things we don't have to do that reveals the Christian spirit. How many are "one-mile" Christians at prayer, at Bible reading, in their giving, in church-going, in forgiving others? How many in trouble only bear and endure it and go not the second mile of victory? How many in temptation merely suppress and do not surpass? How many will not go the way of consecration and separation? Some will give money but will not give self. We have unduly gloried duty and have failed to see that only Christ within us is true righteousness—that all else is but legalism, though it may profess His name.

Reflections on the Gospels by Vance Havner

Prayer: Heavenly Father, we thank you for the human free will you have given us, we thank you also for your Divine Sovereignty and your unfailing Love. May we search our hearts daily, forgiving others before seeking forgiveness for ourselves. Lord help us we pray, to appreciate all you require from us, is repentance, submission and faith, and that even a small amount of faith can move mountains in our lives and bring you the Glory you rightly deserve. In Jesus Name we pray. Amen
Hi brother Paul, I love your heart. Regarding freedom of choice, I have come to agree that we have that freedom but whether we are able to exercise it, I believe, is the problem. There are two others involved when it comes to exercising that freedom. We have Satan who in that moment of choice can attack like a roaring lion and we have our Lord who can bless us with grace. So if a brother appears to be not exercising his or her freedom of choice, it could be that they are involved in spiritual warfare and judgment would be inappropriate. If, on the other hand, grace were upon them and exercising that freedom was empowered, it still would be inappropriate as Grace also effects the situation. Indeed it would be hard to ascertain which power was in play on any occasion, Satan, ourselves or the Lord. Bless you mate.

Loyal
Hi brother Paul, I love your heart. Regarding freedom of choice, I have come to agree that we have that freedom but whether we are able to exercise it, I believe, is the problem. There are two others involved when it comes to exercising that freedom. We have Satan who in that moment of choice can attack like a roaring lion and we have our Lord who can bless us with grace. So if a brother appears to be not exercising his or her freedom of choice, it could be that they are involved in spiritual warfare and judgment would be inappropriate. If, on the other hand, grace were upon them and exercising that freedom was empowered, it still would be inappropriate as Grace also effects the situation. Indeed it would be hard to ascertain which power was in play on any occasion, Satan, ourselves or the Lord. Bless you mate.

Greeting brother

Thank you for your kind words, may the good Lord truly bless you.

Freedom of choice! I feel this could be a topic on it's own.

As none believers
Do we accept we are sinners or carry on in sin?
Do we accept Jesus or do we continue in our worldly ways?
Do we want to be saved or not?

As believers
Do we take up our cross daily, or do we choose not to, are we to busy?
Do we pray from the heart, or do we give it lip service, we have jobs to get to or things to do?
Do we study God's Word, or do we just listen to it read to us on a Sunday?

Free will, Freedom of choice, it is up to us, or as you say, is it? Have we really got Freedom of Choice?

The problem is we are in a love triangle, three in a love relationship is always bad news.

God loves us and doesn't want us to sin, the devil loves to make us sin
The Light of Christ shines to reveal our sins, the devil does his best to cloud things over so we don't realise and carry on sinning.

We have freedom of choice, really?

Let the Light of Christ Reveal the Truth, let the Light of Christ Reveal our sins, let the Light of Christ guide our every step.

Let us pray..... as the spirit guides us.....
in Jesus Precious Name. Amen

Greeting brother

Thank you for your kind words, may the good Lord truly bless you.

Freedom of choice! I feel this could be a topic on it's own.

As none believers
Do we accept we are sinners or carry on in sin?
Do we accept Jesus or do we continue in our worldly ways?
Do we want to be saved or not?

As believers
Do we take up our cross daily, or do we choose not to, are we to busy?
Do we pray from the heart, or do we give it lip service, we have jobs to get to or things to do?
Do we study God's Word, or do we just listen to it read to us on a Sunday?

Free will, Freedom of choice, it is up to us, or as you say, is it? Have we really got Freedom of Choice?

The problem is we are in a love triangle, three in a love relationship is always bad news.

God loves us and doesn't want us to sin, the devil loves to make us sin
The Light of Christ shines to reveal our sins, the devil does his best to cloud things over so we don't realise and carry on sinning.

We have freedom of choice, really?

Let the Light of Christ Reveal the Truth, let the Light of Christ Reveal our sins, let the Light of Christ guide our every step.

Let us pray..... as the spirit guides us.....
in Jesus Precious Name. Amen
Hi Paul, whether I am under attack, under grace or under my own steam, the only person who really knows is me and this applies in my dealings with others, I don't know what pressures they are under. So my point was, why would I get involved in a judgment of which I have no understanding? Surely my personal reaction should be, prayer, if my brother is under attack or praise to the Lord, if he is overcoming. The only time I should mention his or her failings, I believe, is to remind him, or her, of their identity in Christ and the glory that is ours when we have run the race and overcome. I can't believe that any true Christian would wantonly sin. If I encountered a person professing Christ, wantonly sinning, I'd have to question their faith and I'd likely draw away from them, at least until repentance. As for freedom of choice being a subject in its own right, we could take the case of Peter denying Jesus three times before the **** crowed. Peter had no freedom of choice, and denied the most precious person in his life I'm sure if he had any choice in the matter, he would have done as he promised and followed Jesus to the cross. As you say, a deep subject. Bless you brother.