• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Kill an insect?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Administrator
Staff Member
Does Scripture state anything about killing insects being wrong? I have not come across this specificaly insects. I have read about killing animals for food and/or other reasons (sacrifice in OT for example) but what about an insect?

Say you see a spider in your sink like I just did and you just wash it down the drain. Strangely, in my heart I feel bad for two reasons:

1. It is GOD's living creation regardless if human, animal or tiny miscroscopic insect which we more likely probably step on / run over in our car hundreds per year without even realizing it.

2. It is still a living thing. Living creatures are not valued of their lives and dependant of their value by size, big or small.

Am I and everyone guilty for washing away insects in a house?

I would not intentionally kill them if it were outdoors, just let them be. But you know this time around in muggy NY summer season they come and play inside the house. They love central AC I guess :D

What do you all say about this?

Registered Member
Jesus is Lord!

Hi, Chad!

We have dominion over all the earth and its creatures. (This does not give us a right to torture them.)

My husband grew up in the mountains and I grew up in the country, we are familiar with critters.

We take them outside. My husband is very gentle while moving insects (cute).

If I had a baby or small children in the house, I would kill poisonous insects.

God bless you, Brother.

Your Sister in Christ,
Dr. Bon Vie/"Sylvia"

Last edited:
Chad, where I live across the road from a natural bush, which is home to some prehistoric sized insects and reptiles. I once found a big lizzard hissing at me from behind a cupboard and I screamed! I had to get a mop and try to shoo it out but it ended up gripping onto the end with it's strong grip jaws! I had to fling it out, it was a terrifying ordeal. Also, in response to the question about insects, I've never hesitated to stamp out a red-back spider. :shade:

Two points

Killing insects for food is fine, looking at
Leviticus 11:20-22 you see listed as clean and fit to eat, Locust, katydid, cricket and grasshopper. The jumping ones (which feed on grass and vegtable matter mostly).

so you has to be allowed to kill insects.

The stewardship point, is where it is really at. The question you have got to ask is what affect am I having on the whole of the Creation I am meant to be looking after?

Local common spider = squish with no real impact on the greater ecology of the local ecosystem and the local spider population.

Rare species of spider = squish with impacts (maybe not squish).

Me I like spiders do squish them at all, and I live in Aust so that is redbacks and lots of other cool spiders, spiders kill other pesty bugs like flies and flies and well flies (moths and butterflies and other midges etc as well).

But I would kill them without a worry if they are a pest and the techinical definiation of a pest is, something that a person decides they don't want.

Last edited:
bugs

Yes i'd kill anything if it was a necessity and i felt ok about it with God.

I wouldn't crunch snails for fun, nor splat spiders if i could remove them. I am a bit cringy with slugs though so i do put slug killer down. I catch spiders in a spider-catcher made out of a fizzy (soda) bottle on a stick....a long stick...lol

If they were poisonous though, i would reconsider.

hi there!

Chad said:
Does Scripture state anything about killing insects being wrong? I have not come across this specificaly insects. I have read about killing animals for food and/or other reasons (sacrifice in OT for example) but what about an insect?

Say you see a spider in your sink like I just did and you just wash it down the drain. Strangely, in my heart I feel bad for two reasons:

1. It is GOD's living creation regardless if human, animal or tiny miscroscopic insect which we more likely probably step on / run over in our car hundreds per year without even realizing it.

2. It is still a living thing. Living creatures are not valued of their lives and dependant of their value by size, big or small.

Am I and everyone guilty for washing away insects in a house?

I would not intentionally kill them if it were outdoors, just let them be. But you know this time around in muggy NY summer season they come and play inside the house. They love central AC I guess :D

What do you all say about this?
Well i know for a fact that Spyders can survive underwater. so i woudl not feel bad for washing it down the sink.. he he he!! but i dont really LOVE spyders you know but liek if i have to get rid of them i woudl normally get like a cup or jar and a peice of paper and just chuck it out in the garden.. LOL
i do not knwo what the Scriptures say bout it but if you think of it this way. when you go for a walk just put your head down every once in a while and take not of where your stepping your probably steppign all over those small, little tiny black Ants.. so that is killign them do you feel bad??

Love Simon!!!

Administrator
Staff Member
Thanks all for your responses. I guess I'm just so respectful (no I am not saying I am perfectly holy) of GOD's creation. Its too good so I wish to give it all the right treatment it deserves.

Hopefully I am not breaking GOD's heart when I flush those spyders down the tube!

Lol

Chad said:
Thanks all for your responses. I guess I'm just so respectful (no I am not saying I am perfectly holy) of GOD's creation. Its too good so I wish to give it all the right treatment it deserves.

Hopefully I am not breaking GOD's heart when I flush those spyders down the tube!
That's the way Chad... LOL just keep on living and dont let it get you down. and when that day comes that you come face to face with God he will either say...

you flushed my spyders down the tube get out or. you were protecting your self and your family by flushing that Spyder down the tube. goo on you and give you a great big huggle for protecting others by flushing it down... LOL

lets just hope he dnt say the firts one... he he he... LOL LOL

we'll defend ya!!! LOL

Love Simon!!!

i usually get the vacuum - cleaner. . . that gives them the chance to crawl out again. . .just cause they never make it. . .i dont know if they are dead or not. . .lol . . .i dont wanna know either lol . . .Bless you Chad :love: keep cleanin that house of yours :thumbs_up

ok I used to be really nice to spiders ( my hubby is going to fall off the chair when he reads this laughing lol) I would pick them up and carry them out side but then one year I worked at an amusement park (where and when I met hubby) and they had huge spider issues. I had never seen so many and there was a super huge one that chased me and a girl I was working with, there was also one that was fluorescent orange that hung out by the shop I worked in.

Well anyhow it was just to much of spiderness and well now I don't like them and I make my hubby kill them if they are not daddy long legs and only if they are in my house. I let them be if they are outside. Like there is one who has made its home in my widow by my kitchen sink (on the other side of the glass) . I am leaving that one alone even though it is inside lol.

I think it is wrong to kill anything just because but.... its ok if it makes you run around in circles screaming like a scared little girl ( because thats what i do ) lol don't even get me started about ducks or geese (go ahead hubby now clean off the computer screen after spitting your drink out from laughing so hard jk lol) He can confirm my irrational fear. (but I like baby ducks and geese just not grown ups.

I let other bugs be. I will pick them up share them with my kids. But not spiders!

Joyfully ~ Jlu

Okay we have these Asian beetles (they are like mean ladybug because they bite) and I scream if they are on somebody else ask my sister. So if there is a bug in the house I scream and if no one else is around to kill it I do, but I don't kill a bug if it is outside (unless it's on me). GBU.

Resurrecting this thread, to leave a note from your resident arachnophobic...(!)

All you love-bugs might want to pray God sends all the creepy crawlers your way...cause if they come mine, they are as good as dead...and not a shred of concience about it either, I have it on good word that they are disgusting lol

Lev 11:42 Whatever goes on its stomach or on four feet or has a great number of feet, even all those going flat on the earth... they are disgusting.