• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Jesus and the Holy Spirit

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
There are a couple of scriptures in the Bible that are sometimes taken the wrong way.

Rom 8:10; If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.

Col 1:27; to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Both of these verses use language that says "Christ in you". But is Jesus in us? Now of course I believe in the Trinity and some people
will say this is just semantics. But is it really? While there is one God, God is three distinct beings.

Let us go back and revisit the first verse above.

Rom 8:9; However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
Rom 8:10; If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
Rom 8:11; But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

It says "the Spirit of God" dwells in you. It also says if anyone does not have "the Spirit of Christ"....
It also says "if the Spirit of Him" who raised Jesus from the dead... then finally it says, "His Spirit who dwells in you".

Where is Jesus right now?

John 20:17; Jesus *said to her, "Stop clinging to Me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father; but go to My brethren and say to them, 'I ascend to My Father and your Father, and My God and your God.'"
Acts 2:34; "For it was not David who ascended into heaven, but he himself says: 'THE LORD SAID TO MY LORD, "SIT AT MY RIGHT HAND,

John 16:7; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

Jesus said He was going away. So that the Holy Spirit would come.

John 14:12; "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.
John 14:28; "You heard that I said to you, 'I go away, and I will come to you.' If you loved Me, you would have rejoiced because I go to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

Jesus says here... "I go to the Father".

John 16:17; Some of His disciples then said to one another, "What is this thing He is telling us, 'A little while, and you will not see Me; and again a little while, and you will see Me'; and, 'because I go to the Father'?"

When Jesus was resurrected, He wasn't resurrected as a spirit, he was resurrected with flesh and bones.

Luke 24:39; "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."

You must acknowledge that Jesus is in the flesh.

1 Jn 4:2; By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God;
2 Jn 1:7; For many deceivers have gone out into the world, those who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist.

Jesus is in heaven right now.

Acts 1:9; And after He had said these things, He was lifted up while they were looking on, and a cloud received Him out of their sight.
Acts 1:10; And as they were gazing intently into the sky while He was going, behold, two men in white clothing stood beside them.
Acts 1:11; They also said, "Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into the sky? This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven, will come in just the same way as you have watched Him go into heaven."

.... but He is coming back. Call it the rapture, call it the second coming, call it the millennial reign, call it whatever you want, but He is coming
back at some point. When He does come back, it will be "in just the same way as you have watched Him go".

Jesus had a body when He went to heaven. A glorified body yes. But still a body. He'll have one when He returns.
But He hasn't returned yet.

Mark 16:19; So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven and sat down at the right hand of God.
Rom 8:34 ; who is the one who condemns? Christ Jesus is He who died, yes, rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.
Col 3:1; Therefore if you have been raised up with Christ, keep seeking the things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God.
Heb 1:3; And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Jesus is sitting at the right hand of the Father. But He is coming back.

So then.. if Jesus is in heaven, who is with us? Jesus said He wouldn't leave us, (but was He taking about His physical body?)
Do you see Jesus's physical body in your house today? Is He walking around with you? Of course not.
So then... who is with us?

John 14:26; "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.

Acts 1:8; but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth."

It isn't Jesus that dwells in us, it is the Holy Spirit.

1 Cor 6:19; Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?
2 Tim 1:14; Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you.
Rom 8:9; However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
Rom 8:11; But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

There is a "Spirit of Christ"

Php 1:19; for I know that this will turn out for my deliverance through your prayers and the provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ,

But the Spirit of Christ is simply the Holy Spirit. They are both God. The Holy Spirit goes where Jesus sends Him.

John 15:26; "When the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of truth who proceeds from the Father, He will testify about Me,
John 16:7; "But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.

It is the Holy Spirit that dwells within us. Jesus is in heaven interceding for us.

Unworthy Servant
Staff Member
And I will pray the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that He may abide with you for ever;
John 14:16

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B-A-C Bible Discussions 51
PernellRodocker Polls 5
Boanerges Devotionals 1