• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Jealousy Is Toxic! Here Is How To Recognize And Defeat It!

Administrator
Staff Member
When I think of envy or jealousy the image of a nasty troll like demon eating away at a person’s body, soul and peace comes to mind. The person who allows themselves to indulge in jealousy opens a door to many other sins like coveting, resentment, anger, and hatred. What is even worse is envy torments a person constantly and steals their peace. All one has to do is look at Cain and Abel to see the bad fruit jealousy brings. Jealousy helped motivate the first murder in our world. It is described in, Genesis 4:7 If you do well, you can hold up your head; but if not, sin is a demon lurking at the door: his urge is toward you, yet you can be his master.” 8 Cain said to his brother Abel, “Let us go out in the field.” When they were in the field, Cain attacked his brother Abel and killed him(NAB). The 7 Deadly Sins are: Pride, Lust, Gluttony, Greed, Sloth, Anger and Envy. Each of these sins leads to others and that is why they are serious and called, “deadly.”

802-Featured-2.jpg

When we allow ourselves to believe we are not good enough, are insecure, or we want to have another person’s abilities, gifts, job, husband, boyfriend, child, or their possessions, we do ourselves injury as well as the other person. The Ten Commandments in the Bible are very clear when they say we are not to covet anything belonging to someone else and it is for good reason. How often do you see people seething with jealousy treat another person badly? Sometimes the venom of envy is easy to recognize; sometimes people don’t even realize their contempt or dislike of another is actually rooted in their jealousy of that person. One way to recognize envy is to ask yourself does that person have something or someone you want or wish you could have? Do you dislike or hate them because they have it? Do you dislike them and have no real reason to? Do you feel satisfied or glad when something goes badly for that person? Do you wish you were them? Do you say spiteful things to them? Do you look for their faults or talk badly about them to others?

What can we do to overcome envy? Firstly, examine how you feel and be honest with yourself you cannot fix something if you deny it and refuse to recognize it. Denying this ugly feeling allows it to fester below the surface leading to more sin, problems, and endangers our souls. Immediately reject envy when it arises, don’t dwell on it. Second, do not compare yourself to others or allow yourself to want what is theirs! Remember we are all very unique and God equips us with what we need for our God-given mission in this life. God gives us all gifts and abilities, discover, accept, and be grateful for yours. Do not allow yourself to want or covet anything that others have. Third, be generous to others there is usually selfishness involved when there is jealousy. Fourth, remember to call on Jesus and that you have free will. Scripture clearly says you have the ability to overcome envy. When you recognize you are feeling jealous repent and renounce envy, bind envy, bless the person, and remember we are to love our neighbor. If it is deeply rooted you may have to pray and fast to uproot it. Giving Alms can also be needed and is part of being charitable and generous. Ask others to pray for you and ask God to give you the grace to overcome envy.

So what can you do if you are the victim of someone’s envy? Bless and pray for them, and remember that person is in a battle for their very soul and your prayers might make all the difference.

bitter-e1461766127840.jpg

Prayer Against Envy:
God, please forgive me for the times I have been jealous or envious and have been unkind toward others. I thank You for everything good and bad that happens as I know You help me overcome it all. Help me to discover and appreciate what You have blessed me with and to be grateful for it all. In Jesus Name I repent, renounce, and bind jealousy and envy from me. God, please bless, _____(mention the person by name that you have been jealous of). Holy Spirit, please fight this battle for me. Give me the grace and help to overcome it. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen. You may have to keep doing this prayer repeatedly as needed but do not give up.

God, I forgive ____ for their envy help us to forgive each other and move forward being loving toward each other. Please shine Your love and light down upon_____ help them to repent and change. God Bless___(mention the person name) in every way possible. God Bless ___, God Bless___, God Bless___ abundantly and with every grace You wish to give them. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

originally from: Jealousy Is Toxic! Here Is How To Recognize And Defeat It! - Faithreel.com