• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

I've just started studying the Bible

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

...and I wanted to ask if this is a good study plan. I have a small notebook, which I don't normally use. So I have the tools.

First, I write the book that I am currently studying, the chapter, the date, then to most verses I find related verses from other books (don't overestimate me they're written under most verses). To some verses I write some main a ideas or a very short summary. In the end I write a summary. Then I read the chapter again. The final step is the easiest. I read the same chapter, but in my second Bible, which is in my native language.

Here's an example of a session(--> = related verse):

Exodus (10.01.2010)

Exodus 1 (10.01.2010)

Exodus 1:5 --> Genesis 46:26
Exodus 1:8 - new egyptian king
--> Acts 7:18

Summary

So is this a good study technique? Any suggestions?
God Bless!

Studying by subject is good if you have read the Bible a few times and have a good basic grasp on it. Everyone has a different approach, personally I read the New Testament 2x's for every one spent in the Old . When God speaks to me about a particular subject then I peruse that subject.
I find it important to journal while I read. Sometimes I get what seems to be random glimpses into the Word but when I go back and look over the notes I find they tie in together like pieces in a puzzle.
No matter the way you choose to study do it consistently.
The #1 most important thing to do is this:
Holy Spirit breath on this Word. Show me what it means and how to apply it in my life.
The # 2 most important: when God speaks to you through the Word take that Word by faith and walk it out.Let it become your life-ology not your theology.
Have a great time Panda, post and share what the Lord shows you.
Many blessings in His Name,
your brother Larry.

The Bible sure makes much more sense when you've read it thoroughly, so that you can see the whole.
Thank you, brother Larry. God Bless.

It is a pleasure my friend. If you want I can PM you the Iron Man one Year Bible reading schedule.

Active

RJ

Brother Larry has some good advice.
I personally advise any new person that is searching the word to start in the New Testament because it contains the New Covenant and we live under and by the New Covenant and not the Old Covenant.

When searching for the truth, stay in the New Testament, for the time being, and just go to the Old testment when it is referenced to. Don't get this wrong, the Old Testament is very important, especially if you want to learn more about who God is and His over all plan for man but, when it comes to understanding your current forgiveness and salvation, that is found in the New Teatsament.

One fine point to all of this: A "Born-Again' Christian knows the difference between, before being "saved and after being "saved". And one fact of this is understnding the word of God. True wisdom and understanding only comes after you have Christ living in you and the Holy Spirit gives you understanding. The word will not truly come alive until that point in your life.

I can't say if a person is "Born-Again" are not, that is a personal thing and only God knows what is truly in a man's heart. But for someone who is reading the bible for the first time and searching for the truth about salvation, a good place to start as any, is Romans 10:8-13.
Taking this step or something similar to this is ultimately of the most importance.

If you haven't done this before, then continue your studies and your salvation will be near and your time will come and you will know when. If you feel that you have already invited Jesus Christ into your heart, then the New Testament is the best place to learn more about and understand your forgiveness, salvation and what is in store for you in eternity.

Here is a list of subjects that you can search the New Testament for better understanding; it is not all inclusive but a pretty good start:
  • Forgiveness
  • Salvation
  • Old Covenant "Law" vs. New Covenant "Grace"
  • Sin
  • Inheritance

Brother Larry has some good advice.
I personally advise any new person that is searching the word to start in the New Testament because it contains the New Covenant and we live under and by the New Covenant and not the Old Covenant.

When searching for the truth, stay in the New Testament, for the time being, and just go to the Old testment when it is referenced to. Don't get this wrong, the Old Testament is very important, especially if you want to learn more about who God is and His over all plan for man but, when it comes to understanding your current forgiveness and salvation, that is found in the New Teatsament.
Thank you for the advice. I want to read the first books of the Old Testament to get aquainted with the Bible and when I'm done, I'll mix the New and Old Testaments, with emphasis on the New.