• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Isaac Newton's An Historical Account of Two Notable Corruptions in Scripture

Active
Here is part of the introduction:

Since the discourses of some late writers have raised in you a curiosity of knowing the truth of that text of Scripture concerning the testimony of the Three in Heaven, 1 John v. 7, I have here sent you an account of what the reading has been in all ages, and by what steps it has been changed, so far as I can hitherto determine by records. And I have done it the more freely, because to you, who understand the many abuses which they of the Roman church have put upon the world, it will scarce be ungrateful to be convinced of one more than is commonly believed. For although the more learned and quick-sighted men, as Luther, Erasmus, Bullinger, Grotius, and some others, would not dissemble their knowledge, yet the generality are fond of the place for its making against heresy. But whilst we exclaim against the pious frauds of the Roman church, and make it a part of our religion to detect and renounce all things of that kind, we must acknowledge it a greater crime in us to favour such practices, than in the Papists we so much blame on that account: for they act according to their religion, but we contrary to ours. In the Eastern nations, and for a long time in the Western, the faith subsisted without this text; and it is rather a danger to religion, than an advantage, to make it now lean upon a bruised reed. There cannot be better service done to the truth, than to purge it of things spurious: and therefore knowing your prudence, and calmness of temper, I am confident I shall not offend you by telling you my mind plainly; especially since it is no article of faith, no point of discipline, nothing but a criticism concerning a text of Scripture which I am going to write about.

Loyal
sad, A "translation" is not "The Word of GOD" period!!! Help us, Jesus, as the world goes on, the further from The Truth we travel. And don't even know the difference, And Cannot discern between from the "Holy" and the "profane".

Why has this happen? I will tell you why. It is because, we have not obeyed Our GOD. And In open Dis-obedience to our Creator, And Have chosen to obey "Religious Institutions", instead Of GOD. At one time GOD entrusted, a leadership to lead and teach HIS people and Gave them instructions of what to do and what to say.
(Ezekiel 44)BSB
"And they shall not marry a widow or a divorced woman, but must marry a virgin of the descendants of the house of Israel, or a widow of a priest. They are to teach My people the difference between the holy and the common,and show them how to discern between the clean and the unclean. In any dispute, they shall officiate as judges and judge according to My ordinances. They must keep My laws and statutes regarding all My appointed feasts, and they must keep My Sabbaths holy.…"

American Standard Version
"And they shall teach my people the difference between the holy and the common, and cause them to discern between the unclean and the clean."

How can they teach, what they don't know, How can they lead where they never been, So Since some say, we have a free will, so in other words we do not want to walk in the very shoes of Jesus Christ. We do not want to deny ourselves, and forsake all. Forsake all!, He did, houses, lands, popularity, Jesus says He does everything HIS Father tells Him to do, He says everything HIs Father tells him to do and he says it the way His father tells Him to say It,

My picture of a True Christian is this:

New King James Version
He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
John 15:10
If you keep My commandments, you will remain in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and remain in His love.
1 Peter 2:21
For to this you were called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in His footsteps:
1 John 3:24
"Whoever keeps His commandments remains in God, and God in him. And by this we know that He remains in us: by the Spirit He has given us." ["personally knowledge concerning ourselves"]
1 John 4:17
In this way, love has been perfected among us, so that we may have confidence on the day of judgment; for in this world we are just like Him.

A True "Child of GOD", does not try to prove that someone else is not a "Child of GOD' or to find out if that person is. one. He keeps testing His own self, For It is also a command of GOD, We examine ourselves, to see if we are in "The True Faith of GOD'. For it to, is the will of GOD.. We do not go out on "The Witch Hunts". For we are not called to be ".Witch Hunters". Christians might be, for many did so. example: "Salem, Penn". 1600's. In today society Witch Craft is a protected Religion, under The U.S.Constitution. And many says The US of American is a Christian Country, I say the USA is a country that allows Christians and other Religions the freedom to "exercise their faith. So there is no harm intended here in my statement, but speaking the truth, is also a virtue.

Active
Here is part of the introduction:

Since the discourses of some late writers have raised in you a curiosity of knowing the truth of that text of Scripture concerning the testimony of the Three in Heaven, 1 John v. 7, I have here sent you an account of what the reading has been in all ages, and by what steps it has been changed, so far as I can hitherto determine by records. And I have done it the more freely, because to you, who understand the many abuses which they of the Roman church have put upon the world, it will scarce be ungrateful to be convinced of one more than is commonly believed. For although the more learned and quick-sighted men, as Luther, Erasmus, Bullinger, Grotius, and some others, would not dissemble their knowledge, yet the generality are fond of the place for its making against heresy. But whilst we exclaim against the pious frauds of the Roman church, and make it a part of our religion to detect and renounce all things of that kind, we must acknowledge it a greater crime in us to favour such practices, than in the Papists we so much blame on that account: for they act according to their religion, but we contrary to ours. In the Eastern nations, and for a long time in the Western, the faith subsisted without this text; and it is rather a danger to religion, than an advantage, to make it now lean upon a bruised reed. There cannot be better service done to the truth, than to purge it of things spurious: and therefore knowing your prudence, and calmness of temper, I am confident I shall not offend you by telling you my mind plainly; especially since it is no article of faith, no point of discipline, nothing but a criticism concerning a text of Scripture which I am going to write about.
Ah, if we only had the autographs. If the comma was something taught in the earliest of ekklesias, and yet was lost by scribal error in later transcriptions, well, ... it's all speculation of course. I try to imagine what the autographs said, but it's a road that leads nowhere. I still believe wholeheartedly in the trinity. And I still disagree with the KJ translators on use of the words "church" and "Easter". The pericope adulterae is another matter altogether.