• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Is this a contradiction?

KJV Genesis 22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

KJV James 1:14 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

KJV Genesis 22:1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am. And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of.

KJV James 1:14 Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man:

No......

God did not tempt , he tested. The scripture says God tested Abraham.

God considers human sacrifice of children a very bad thing. God was just testing Abraham and is willingness to obey. The only reason Abraham would even consider this is his trust in God. He knew God would not require him to kill his child. If so he would trust in God in any event as none of us know the full outcome.

God does not tempt, he commands and he will allow a test. But God does not tempt.

Kit

Hello Aaron, this on of the many scriptures where the KJV translation is found lacking. Most of the other translations translated the Hebrew word nacah as test or tested which is much more accurate when context is considered.

There are many other translations available on line for free, so you can check things against the KJV, Blue letter bible is one and it also is keyed for Strong's so that you can view the Hebrew and Greek texts also.

There are two kinds of translations you will find: Dynamic and equivalent. The dynamic versions are referred to as "thought for thought" translations, meaning the translator took the passage and takes what they "think" it means and put it into other phrases.

The problem with dynamic translations is that God's word is pure:

Proverbs 30:5
Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him.

And if God's word is pure, and it most certainly is, we should not seek to rephrase the words. Rather, we should seek a pure translation that is "equivalent," or word for word.

The ESV and the NASB are "equivalent" translations.

You can also find "literal" translations which work harder to give an exact restatement of the original text. Young's Literal Translation has been around a long time. There is also a newer New Testament translation called the "Literal Translation."

I spend most of my time in the ESV, the Literal Translation of the New Testament, and the New Living Translation. But good word study resources like a concordance, Bible dictionaries, and interlinear language references can be helpful, too.

The King James version isn't my favorite, though the Psalms are pretty to pray from that translation. It has some bias flaws, as it was created for the King of England. The real issue is that much of the dated language makes many of the New Testament passages incomprehensible.

The final, and most important element in Bible study, however, is the Holy Spirit of God. The Spirit of God will lead you into all truth. Much of what you will learn will be via revelation, but know that every doctrine in God's word will be backed up by 2 or more witnesses. God's word explains God's word, as man and his wish for revelation has led many a Christian down the path of heresy and destruction.

Last edited:
Abrahm responded to a command to sacrifice his son, he was relieved of that when he had shown that he was prepared to offer up his only son. God did not need Abraham to do this, God knew Abrahams heart. God did it to show Abraham his own heart, a heart fully committed to God, not with any idol, not even the idol of his promised son.

one is a test to obey not a test by a desire of the flesh or a lust.
God isnt cruel and will not tempt us by putting on our path something that will destroy us. i guess it be better to say God isnt gonna say thou shall not and then put something in front of you as if to say you want this dont cha boy? thats not his style.
what he did with abraham is test his willingness to obey. He didnt tempt him with whatever might be abrahams weakness. sometimes words dont translate well into english. or thier meaning is lost or diluted. sometimes the meaning isnt how we use that word today.

One of the problems with language is the words have a range of meaning that were developed somewhere along the line. For this cause I use the KJV, Websters 1828 dictionary and Strong's Concordance as on hand tools when I have questions like yours. I also use blue letter bible and bible dot cc for online resources of study.

Websters 1828 for Tempt:

TEMPT, v.t. [L. tento; teneo; Gr. the primary sense is to strain, urge, press.]
1. To incite or solicit to an evil act; to entice to something wrong by presenting arguments that are plausible or convincing, or by the offer of some pleasure or apparent advantage as the inducement.
My lady Gray tempts him to this harsh extremity.
Every man is tempted, when he is drawn away by his own lust and enticed. James 1.
2. To provoke; to incite.
Tempt not the brave and needy to despair.
3. To solicit; to draw; without the notion of evil.
Still his strength conceal'd,
Which tempted our attempt, and wrought our fall.
4. To try; to venture on; to attempt.
E'er leave be giv'n to tempt the nether skies.
5. In Scripture, to try; to prove; to put to trial for proof.
God did tempt Abraham. Gen 22.
Ye shall not tempt the Lord your God. Deu 6.

As was pointed out earlier, all translations fall short in some capacity and it may be most profitable at times to go back to the Greek. I don't recommend sitting down with 100 different English translations and comparing them to find the truth as many times I have found that the majority will lean toward accepting an errant view of scripture and the truth was actually found in the few that agreed. God, however, is the decider of who gets to or does not get to understand what he has said. It is He who ultimately must reveal the truth unto your heart before you can know it and submit unto it. Cry out to him for truth and salvation as Jesus did and you will be amazed at his response (Heb 5). Make sure that you truly cry out with strong crying and real tears of someone who wishes to be saved from death. Jesus had to be saved from death too.

May God the Father bless you all in all spiritual wisdom and knowledge of his dear Son whom can save your soul if you submit to and obey him.

Gary

Testing Abraham?

Was God testing Abraham? Or is this a direct statement by God
regarding His provision of a sacrificial lamb to take away the sins of
the World. This Ram is a shadow of Christ. Lets look at some extra verses from Genesis 22.

Genesis 22:11-14 (NKJV)

11 But the Angel of the LORD called to him from heaven and said, “Abraham, Abraham!” So he said, “Here I am.”

12 And He said, “Do not lay your hand on the lad, or do anything to him; for now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

13 Then Abraham lifted his eyes and looked, and there behind him was a ram caught in a thicket by its horns. So Abraham went and took the ram, and offered it up for a burnt offering instead of his son. 14 And Abraham called the name of the place, The-LORD-Will-Provide;as it is said to this day, “In the Mount of the LORD it shall be provided."

Yes, God did provide the sacrificial lamb after all. This is the correct interpretation of Genesis 22.

God offered up his only son for the sins of the world. I believe that he wanted to give a little taste of how it felt, because Abraham was so close to God. Also, there is a lesson in what happened on the mount. God wanted man to understand that no man could be a sacrifice for sin and he provided a ram as a symbol of the lamb of God who was to come.

I have been raised on the King James Version since I was small. I have never had any trouble understanding it and prefer it to any other. I see nothing wrong with reading another version for comparison purposes. The spirit of God within God's children helps to understand the scriptures. And if you ask Him, God will give you the wisdom. Nothing is to be gained to "find a contradiction" in the bible. If people truly knew the author, there is no contradiction there.

I have often wondered how people memorize the bible verses when there is so many different versions out there????? The King James is easy for me to memorize. Guess I'm just partial. But, think about it, why so many translations? We are supposed to be the most knowledable people of all times, but people need a children's bible to understand it, it seems like. Just wondering.... :shock:

The spirit of God WILL help you to read and understand the bible and God has also put teachers in the church.