• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Is the Church the only ones who get rewards (crowns)??

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Loyal
It seems "most" of the crowns mentioned in the Bible are metaphorical.

Prov 16:31; says gray hair is a crown of glory. Although I'm not sure how many women would agree with that.
Prov 17:6; says grandchildren are a crown to old men.
Prov 12:4; says a excellent wife is a crown to her husband.

there are several other similar verses.
But as for crowns as a reward in heaven...
Paul says to Timothy...

2Tim 4:8; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Is the crown of righteousness, a real crown or metaphorical crown?

Jas 1:12; Blessed is a man who perseveres under trial; for once he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him

Does everyone receive a crown of life? It says here... that "if" they are approved for persevering under trials... then (and only then?) they will receive a crown of life.
But what about those who claim to be Christians but do NOT persevere under trials... do they still receive the same? That would seem to make God (speaking through James ) a liar.

Peter says the elders in the church will receive an (unfading) crown of glory.

1Pet 5:1; Therefore, I exhort the elders among you, as your fellow elder and witness of the sufferings of Christ, and a partaker also of the glory that is to be revealed,
1Pet 5:2; shepherd the flock of God among you, exercising oversight not under compulsion, but voluntarily, according to the will of God; and not for sordid gain, but with eagerness;
1Pet 5:3; nor yet as lording it over those allotted to your charge, but proving to be examples to the flock.
1Pet 5:4; And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.

The word unfading intrigues me a little here. I take this to mean never dulling, never shrinking, never darkening. Of course they don't receive it until Jesus (the Chief Shepherd) returns.
But it seems this particular crown is only for elders and over-seers of the church. If this crown never fades, it seems it won't be a crown they "cast off" later.

In the letters to the seven churches in Revelation 2 and 3. It mentions crown a couple of times.

Rev 2:10; 'Do not fear what you are about to suffer. Behold, the devil is about to cast some of you into prison, so that you will be tested, and you will have tribulation for ten days. Be faithful until death, and I will give you the crown of life.

Much like James 1:12; this seems to be about persevering under trials. They will be imprisoned for a while and tested, but "IF" they remain faithful, then they will receive a crown of life.
The flip side of this seems to be... if they do not remain faithful... they won't receive the crown.

Rev 3:11; 'I am coming quickly; hold fast what you have, so that no one will take your crown.

It seems your crown can be taken away. Also I notice here, only Philadelphia and Smyrna are mentioned as receiving crown out of all seven churches. These are the only two churches
Jesus didn't say He had something against. (see Lamentations 5:16; also )

One of the more controversial verses about crowns is in Revelation 4. It depends on who you think the 24 elders are.

Rev 4:4; Around the throne were twenty-four thrones; and upon the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white garments, and golden crowns on their heads.

It says here the 24 elders have golden crowns. (and they sit upon thrones). Some people believe the 24 elders are just a representation of the church as a whole.
I'm not sure I believe that, but it's possible.

In any case... the 24 elders eventually "cast off" their crowns.

Rev 4:10; the twenty-four elders will fall down before Him who sits on the throne, and will worship Him who lives forever and ever, and will cast their crowns before the throne, saying,

There are no mention in the Bible anywhere of anyone else besides the 24 elders, casting off their crowns.

There is more to say here... but I'm out of time right now.

Last edited: