• Hi Guest!

Please share Talk Jesus community on every platform you have to give conservatives an outlet and safe community to be apart of.

Support This Community

Thank You

• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 12,500 members today

Register Log In

Is it unbiblical to leave a church fellowship?

Hi Everyone.

I have recently heard "that it is unbiblical to leave a church, unless the "say so" has come from the leadership and they have "Sent you" out/released you to do so.

Friends of ours are in the process of moving onto another church fellowship (something we ourselves are currently considering). Our church has undergone lots of leadership changes in recent years, and there seems to have developed a very controlling, dictatorship type attitude/culture in amongst the leadership.

God has very clearly and undeniably shown our friends that he wants them to move on to another church. They are trying their very best to be honourable in their leaving, and are being very careful to remain respectful to our current leaders/pastor, despite their differences. The leadership refuse to accept that God has shown our friends to move on, and are accusing them of allowing the devil into their lives. They have also said what they are doing is unbiblical- that is, simply leaving a church without it being "their idea/witness". They believe you can only move on if the green light from God, comes thru the leadership first.

I do not understand how this is so, and cannot find anything scriptural to support this. Does anyone know if this really is true, or of any scriptures they may be twisting to support this theory?

Also are there any scriptures to prove that its wrong. I personally completely disagree with it and really feel for my friends for being accused of such. It truely moves me and my husband closer to leaving ourselves if the leadership are so seemingly deluded.

Any advice or thoughts/scriptural back ups would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Pinkflowers

That is a very interesting situation, in which many christians, especially young ones are inevitably being confronted with.

Some christians think they can pick up churches like restaurants,theatres, etc.;but the Bible says that God decides in which church we go to, not the minister, the pastor, etc.
God might use these men to bring a christian into a fellowship, but God does the work.
If these men are genuinely born again, The Holy Spirit will show them the church which is best suited for them to go to.
A true christian will always stay in the fellowship of the believers, even if God will tell them to change churches at a particular time during their christian life.

Some verses in the Bible regarding this we find in: 1 Cor 12:18 "But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him"
1 Corinthians 12:18-23
Ephesians 4:16
Romans 12:5

God Bless!

The scriptures quoted by azuredepths are in reference to the body of Christ (ie every bornagain believer) not a particular fellowship.

The decision as to were to "gather together" is one that is between the Believer and the Holy Spirit...

Pinkflowers,

You ask if there is a scripture that one may attempt to twist.

There is a passage in 1 John 2 that says...

18 Children, it is the last hour, and as you have heard that antichrist is coming, so now many antichrists have come. Therefore we know that it is the last hour. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would have continued with us. But they went out, that it might become plain that they all are not of us. 20 But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all have knowledge. 21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it, and because no lie is of the truth. 22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also. 24 Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you. If what you heard from the beginning abides in you, then you too will abide in the Son and in the Father. 25 And this is the promise that he made to us [4]—eternal life.

If you go back to chapter 1, you will notice that the "fellowship" is not a particular "church or congregation" but...

3 that which we have seen and heard we proclaim also to you, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ.

Leaving THAT fellowship is what John is refering to.

I would not put trust in man but put your trust in God and seek the Holy Spirit's guideance as to where to "gather" with fellow believers.

From your post, it seems there are many red flags flying.. I would not stay where the leaders demanded loyalty to them.

Additionally, Paul never asked "permission" to leave a fellowship of believers to go on to the next thing God had for him.

Acts 18:18-21

If you notice.. they asked him to stay

Last edited:
Thanks azure and strypes for your replies... strypes, that verse from one john is something i will keep in mind incase i hear any more on the subject...

To be honest i think their theories may be based upon verses from acts (i think) about being "sent" and released into ministry... (not entirely sure where they are) I understand that, if you have a calling on your life its good for it to be recognised and supported by your leadership, and you can be released into that wether that happens in your current fellowship or in a new one.

The issue is however, this is not to do with "release into ministry". This is to do with fundamental problems within the leadership that stunt the growth of people in the congregation. The feelings of being "controlled" are felt by many people, however the leadership themselves are blissfully unaware...

Hi Everyone.

I have recently heard "that it is unbiblical to leave a church, unless the "say so" has come from the leadership and they have "Sent you" out/released you to do so.

Friends of ours are in the process of moving onto another church fellowship (something we ourselves are currently considering). Our church has undergone lots of leadership changes in recent years, and there seems to have developed a very controlling, dictatorship type attitude/culture in amongst the leadership.

God has very clearly and undeniably shown our friends that he wants them to move on to another church. They are trying their very best to be honourable in their leaving, and are being very careful to remain respectful to our current leaders/pastor, despite their differences. The leadership refuse to accept that God has shown our friends to move on, and are accusing them of allowing the devil into their lives. They have also said what they are doing is unbiblical- that is, simply leaving a church without it being "their idea/witness". They believe you can only move on if the green light from God, comes thru the leadership first.

I do not understand how this is so, and cannot find anything scriptural to support this. Does anyone know if this really is true, or of any scriptures they may be twisting to support this theory?

Also are there any scriptures to prove that its wrong. I personally completely disagree with it and really feel for my friends for being accused of such. It truely moves me and my husband closer to leaving ourselves if the leadership are so seemingly deluded.

Any advice or thoughts/scriptural back ups would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Pinkflowers

I don't believe there is any scripture that would suggest you need to stay in a church that is emotionally abusive. In fact, it tells me that the leaders are not where they need to be spiritually. Paul said in Philippians 1 that there were some who preached the gospel with wrong motives. I still think that many people who preach today do that and lead for the wrong reasons.
When a church changes like that, it may be God's way of changing the situation and giving you an opportunity to change to. I would look around and see if you feel God is leading your elsewhere.

Active
Mind control is very common in today's church. Any pastor or person that forbids someone from leaving out of fear or manipulation is wrong.

When you put yourself under man's authority, that's what you get. Churches today are nothing but a social club. Fear is used to build membership and fear is used to keep you as a member.

When we stop looking at the church as a building, men like these won't have power. God is not going to strike you if you want to leave and have fellowship at home with your family alone. If God can talk to the pastor, he can talk to you.

We need to learn to talk to God for ourselves and not relying on the pastor.

My advice they should leave, study the bible on their own, ask God for understanding, based on what God teaches them, they find a church that lines up with God reveals to them.

When we know who God is, no man can deceive us...

Active
Hi PinkFlowers! Did the Church ask you how to spend there money that was given?Did the Church ask you what you thought about any of the changes they made within the main Body? The Church will use this scripture against them!! Hebrews 10:25 AND!! this is taken out of context!!Your answer!! LOL give them verse 26!! if you feel it is a sin to stay there,then it is!! They will probably say, you are spiritually Mature to decide,this again, ah what is the word i need to use here?? ok BUNK fire rom 14:13-23 at them from the Word. I knew many Churches like this,instead of love,greed is the rule,instead of understanding,threats,and words of death are used to scare there people,NOW!! If the members are afraid!! is fear from the Lord?? We do fear the Lord!! but never others!! 2 tim 1:7!! And if any are caused to fear,or want us to fear them!! HEY!! pack up the Bible and find a Church whose foundation is on the Word,rather then on self! Jesus is love,an if the body of Christ you are presently with is not,it is not you that have forsaken them!! THEY!! have forsaken Jesus! and since they have forsaken Jesus,they have forsaken Jesus in you! And you in Jesus can say this to them!! Rev 2:4 But I have this against you!! YOU!! have lost your first love! the Church commanded to love!! ( eph 1:15-16) Does this sound a little blunt? It is time for judgment to begin in the household of faith!!( 1Peter 4:17-18) You already know what to do,I am only here to confirm, what you already know!! Praise the Lord for HIS!! wisdom!

22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ?
your post
STRYPES

Thanks STRYPES for that particular verse, Im trying to build up a journal for one of my sons who's married to a J.W. and that verse is just what Im looking for, thanks again.

I know its nothing to do with this thread, please forgive that but I can add that once moved from church to another church and I know it didnt greive God, it was for my own sanity really, I was never aware of the Holy Spirit being grieved either, God forbid.

I'd say a move is okay, you would know it in your own spirit if it weren't.
Its not good to stay around such dominant people I would think anyway.

My church is going through the book Under Cover by John Bevere and this topic is mentioned in the book.

I would definitely pray. and even get the book.

There is a godly way to leaving a church. My sister-in-law asked my husband and I about this and my husband told her to wait. But I don't think that means you should.

Pray and listen to God's voice.