Join Us Today!

Join our non-denominational community with 10,000+ members and more than 50,000 monthly visitors today. Engage in bible discussions, studies, prayer support and friendly fellowship.

Is it safe to talk here

Discussion in 'Counseling' started by Lanolin, Aug 23, 2017.

1. 'I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you
    that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,
    With all lowliness and meekness,
    with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;
    Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.'

(Eph. 4:1-3)

@HisFollower
    @Lanolin,
    @Shutterbug
    @amadeus2
    @Christ4Ever

Hello there,

The Lord has always brought into my life people to fellowship with in one's and two's, and within the last ten years it has been my elder sister who has fulfilled this role for me. She is thirteen years older than me, but we have always been good friends. However, with her blossoming faith, and growth in the Lord Jesus Christ, came a difficulty between us, which we had to overcome, and which threatened to make fellowship impossible. It was the age old problem of the flesh warring against the spirit, with a little added difficulties thrown in; but every time I travelled to her home for fellowship, I would have to pray for love and grace, and she too; for the enemy of our souls was using the flesh in each other to try to prevent the fellowship we were having in the Spirit.

Yet, difficult though those times were, I do praise God for them, for we were privileged to see His hand at work in one another, as He sorted out the problems, soothed our troubled minds, and brought release and peace to us both. We were, and still are, going on to know Him, and the fullness that is in Christ Jesus; and the enemy sought to prevent this; but God has and will continue to overrule and give the victory as we progress on this journey.

I found the need at those times to unburden myself to someone, and would talk to a friend about it, but it always left me feeling guilty and disloyal to my sister, for it was the flesh talking and it never is unbiased, and gave a false impression to the one I unburdened myself to. I wish I had unburdened myself to the Lord alone.

He is gracious and faithful, and His judgments are true: for He knows the thoughts and intents of the heart, and can direct His Word to the matter, and divide what is of the flesh and what is of the spirit, bringing light to bear upon our problems; and where there is darkness and uncertainty, make our paths straight.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
    Chris

amadeus2 likes this.
  2. Of course, who among has not had difficult times and who has not had someone available at some point to help us?
    Yes, Elijah was alone when he ran away to save his life, but he was also in error as the Lord pointed out to him. Still having said that sometimes I know we need to be alone with God so that He may directly commune with us, but sometimes that other human person is the thing may need the most.
    Give God the glory for He always knows just what we need!

3. I'm glad I have another sister in the Lord to talk to when I can't even have a conversation with my other 'sister'.
    There are problems with workmates too when one workmate won't listen to his other workmates. They have tried talking to him but he just won't listen.

This happens all the times in situations with people and not talking about the issue, hiding it under the rug is NOT going to resolve it. People commit suicide when they feel they have nobody to talk to. I have seen it happen. They won't open up.

Brad Huber likes this.
  4. Well you don't unburden yourself to just anyone. You go to the Lord first of course. But that does not mean you are alone...go to your sisters or brothers in the Lord for support and encouragement.

I don't appreciate being a dumping ground for other people's problems, but, somebody has to tell someone or they should go to the police if it's serious.

If someones off their face on drugs and ruining other peoples lives including their own, do you just not tell anyone and ignore it? I don't think so. If it's a child and they were constantly acting up I would be calling the parents!
    You don't feel guilty for calling the police when someone's robbed your house do you?

Look did Jesus cover Judas theft? Well I'm sure he let Judas know that it was wrong. He didn't kick him out though, but he did say to his other disciples someone among you twelve is going to betray me. He didn't name him to them though. I think he gave him a fair chance to make good. And obviously talked to His Father about it!!!

5. It must have been tricky for Jesus to be friends with all his disciples.
    Some stopped following him. Peter was clingy. Judas had ulterior motives. I think Jesus was aware that some needed help more than others - for example, he scolded Martha for ragging on Mary. Mary needed extra training! People would say stuff about her but she was the one who was forgiven the most. But realise - Mary actually went to Jesus for forgiveness, He's always said if a brother (or sister) repent, forgive them.

The thing is, Judas did not go to Jesus and repent. Peter did, but Judas didn't.

Its when you are dealing with people who are hardened that can be difficult. I mean elijah might have prayed for Jezebel to see the light and her heart to be softened but look in reality some people those prayers would have zero effect. Even Jesus could not pray for Judas. Could Jesus and Judas have been true brothers...well that's the question. Did Judas kiss Jesus out of brotherly love or was it something more?

Likewise could anyone have been friends with Jezebel? It's likely she would have charmed her way into people's lives and then USED each and everyone. Of course Jezebel - she's an extreme case but actually its quite common to hear of people being under her influence.

Are we friends with the world? That's being an enemy of God! Well if we came from out of the world its likely the world is still trying to draw us back in. But if we stand in faith the world starts hating us and doesn't want to follow the Lord. So at some point we need to make a choice. And some people choose to stay in the world. We want them to come away from it and provide every option but if they don't want to follow Him then, well where we go as Jesus said, they cannot come.

It could be someone wants to continue to do drugs and you don't. Do you still hang round them waiting for them to give up?

6. I have come across some people professing they love the Lord but only after His benefits. God has to give me such and such or I wont be happy. Why isnt He answering my prayer?!

Its really hard to tell them, well sorry but God doesnt operate like that. You might show them scripture and fhey reject it. However Gods word never returns back empty... so even if they lash out at you...its not you they rejecting but Gods word. And God can handle that. Personally I find it difficult to be around people who cant see that maybe they have an issue that God can help with yet they actually refuse that help.

1 timothy 6:3-10

Sent from a mobile device
    amadeus2, Christ4Ever and Brad Huber like this.
  7. "Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.
    Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed." John 6:26-27

Lanolin likes this.
  8. In some countries people are called rice christians. Its because church offered perishable food so people went so they could have food but actually ignored Jesus and actually just used the church.

I know of one lady who only ever turns up to church when they having a meal. She also goes round funerals because there is always food at a wake. She doesnt pray or comfort others she just eats the food. God is her belly...

Sometimes I think its wiser to speak the gospel first but many churches think well we have to feed the masses and then they will hear the gospel. Well no, people cant be bribed. Its good to have compassion but see Jesus wasnt a food bank. When he turned water into wine and multiplied the loaves and fishes it was miraculous, and it was because there was a need but im sure there were people there that just thought oh I know what I can get from Jesus. Free lunch!

Jesus isnt stupid though! He knows what is in man.

Sent from a mobile device
    amadeus2 likes this.