• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 13,000 members today

Register Log In

Is it okay to Drink alcohol?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

John 2:1-3

Jesus Changes Water Into Wine

1 On the third day a wedding took place at Cana in Galilee. Jesus’ mother was there, 2 and Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3 When the wine was gone, Jesus’ mother said to him, “They have no more wine.”

I thought this was okay to drink because Jesus was told by his mother to change water to wine but I also read some other passage in the bible that told me that it was not okay to drink because most people who drink alcohol becomes permanent drinker and they have idols in their heart.

Luke 1:15 (NIV) 15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even before he is born.

Romans 14:21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother or sister to fall.

These are few verses that spoke to me to share with you guys because I am too have sin by thinking that it is okay to drink alcohol.
Some people will say that it is okay if you got strong tolerant and one knows how to moderate on how much they drink but I tell you that if you start it only leads to drinking more.

I would have to say that it is OK to drink alcohol..... but only when one is fully following the Spirit and fully grounded in God. Because it is then we have a more mature gift of the spirit known as self-control. By allowing the Spirit to rule over our mind and our body we are led away from temptation and sin, and thus, can walk cleanly and freely without worrying about such sins like drunkenness.

I don't really think tolerance levels really matters. What matters is temperance levels. People who are matured in this gift of the spirit can drink alcohol and not let it rule their bodies. So I don't agree that 1 leads to more. My mom occasionally has a glass of wine with dinner and never in her life has she even been tipsy. I really love wine and appreciate the cultural and artisan aspect of wine making and wine, so I drink it as an experience of an art. But I have never been even the least bit tipsy from alcohol, and I never will be.

The second verse you said, the Romans 14, that is saying basically if your friend is an alcoholic, don't drink around him because then he will be tempted to drink. It doesn't say don't drink, it just says don't drink around that friend.

I think it really is a personal choice. If you can handle alcohol without being drunk or abusing it, then you should be free to drink it. But if it alters your behavior in a negative way at all stay away from it. Anything that produces bad fruits, keep away.

Think of the Christian life as a child's life. When children are young we don't allow them to use knives. Why? Because they are too young to know how to use them properly and could harm themselves. But as they grow and mature they learn how to use knives. This is like our growth in God. We begin as little babies and cannot handle "adult" things until we grow and mature. And then with Him we can handle all these "adult" things in a mature and responsible manner.

Drinking alcohol is not a sin. Abusing alcohol is.

There are other opinions.

Audrey, this may not be the best analogy.

"Think of the Christian life as a child's life. When children are young we don't allow them to use knives. Why? Because they are too young to know how to use them properly and could harm themselves. But as they grow and mature they learn how to use knives."

Adults cut themselves, even though they try not too.

Clearly there are no drunks in Heaven.

Now, what is drinking in moderation?

This is a subjective matter as everyone has a different tolerance to alcohol.

Is it safe to leave the matter to the individual to decide?

Knowing that all humans have a sinful nature, it may not be.

As for me, i will not drink of the fruit of the vine until i am safely in Heaven. I think i have heard that somewhere else.

Audrey, this may not be the best analogy.

Adults cut themselves, even though they try not too.
This is true, accidents happen. However, in walking with the Spirit there are NO accidents. God does not make or allow accidents and thus if we are walking by Him there will be no accidents. I suppose I was using this analogy to relate to our growth as Christians. If you look at it with a worldly viewpoint then yes, adults can be immature. But from a spiritual viewpoint, adults are people mature in the Spirit... so then I think this analogy works well. The Lord makes us ready and prepares us for things throughout our development in Him.

(nicole) you havent back it up with scripture so how can ones word be right.
Well that was just my opinion so I was not arguing that it was necessarily true. However, Scripture has much to say regarding the drinking of alcohol.

It does not actually forbid the consumption of alcohol. Some verses even discuss alcohol in positive terms: Ecclesiastes 9:7; Psalm 104:14-15; Amos 9:14; Isaiah 55:1. The Bible does, however, condemn drunkenness. We are clearly commanded not to get drunk. So, if we are going to look at scripture on this topic I think it is fair to say that Christians can and are allowed to drink.

Again, drinking alcohol is not a sin. But abusing it is... as is stated in the Bible.

Last edited:
As you remind us Jesus turned the water into wine......and we remember the comments that were made on that occasion....it was the "best wine" .

My belief is that Jesus was under pressure to do this! He said to his mother "My hour is not yet come" A lesson there of subjection to mothers as he did as she requested.

The bible talks of men who had taken a vow to keep themselves seperate for service to God and they never drank strong drink but were set apart to serve Him.. A 'Nazerite' vow. Samson comes to mind and John the Baptist, both were men of this distinction.

My Pastor has never tasted alcohol in his life, but does not object when some do. He retire's from his ministry this June, and has from a small beginning established 38 years later, a testimony worth millions in property, plus a precious fellowship of course, this being paramount.

Paul said to Timothy "Take a little wine for thy stomach's sake and infirmity".

Moderation would be the key word, for drunkeness begins with the first mouthful. And drunkerds are comdemmed in scripture.