• Welcome to Talk Jesus

A true bible based, Jesus centered online community. Join over 11,000 members today

Register Log In

Infant Baptism or dedication

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Active
I witnessed an infant baptism at a presy church yesterday. The minister just wet his fingers and touched the babies forehead and cheeks and chin. He said this was baptism.

Then he asked the parents if they would promise to raise their child according to God, and asked the rest of the congregation too.

He said you not too young to be baptised and Jesus didnt forbid children coming to him.

But is this really baptism, in other churches, it would be called a baby dedication. Or even a baby shower. The baby didnt even get wet. It was like three drops of water. Is it the thought that counts?

My parents never did this with me...

Active
It is just a dedication. It is more a decision the parents and family that will influence the baby make. That is why a church tries to get them all there for such an event.

Loyal
There are two ways this is done. Usually I've seen baby "dedications". This doesn't mean the baby is "saved". It simply means the parents and congregation make
a promise to raise that baby in the ways and knowledge of God as best they can. They still have to make the decision for Jesus themselves when the day comes.

The other way.. is truly infant baptism. The parent make this decision for the child. They consider this baby for the most part already "saved".
Now I'm not talking about infant death here, but they think even if the child grows past the age of accountability... they are still saved.
At some point later in life... usually the early teenage years, they get a "mentor" from the church who is supposed to teach them some Godly things.
These Godly things can range from dirty jokes and drinking,.. all the way to prayer and the Bible... and often someplace in between.
At the end of this mentoring time... there is a ceremony called "confirmation". This is done in front of the church, often as a group (this years
junior high candidates for example) but this really just "confirms" that they are saved.

Keep in mind, they never had to make a decision to receive Jesus for themselves this entire time. Mom and Dad always tell them they are already saved.

Active
Or a christening?

I heard anglican and lutheran churches do 'confirmation'.

I think only catholic churches do the 'godparent' thing and they believe the water is 'holy water'.

I dont know where the presy church gets the idea that the baby is baptised when he or she isnt immersed and doesnt really know whats going on, they dont understand the resurrection yet! He or she hasnt even repented of anything.

Um is this for real, dirty jokes and drinking??? What kind of church or cult is this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Loyal
I heard anglican and lutheran churches do 'confirmation'.
I know for a fact Lutheran ELCA churches do. Not sure about Missouri synod Lutheran.
In the church where I saw these things happen, they didn't "immerse" the baby. It was just a sprinkling.

I sat in on a few "mentoring" sessions. Once it was pretty good... They prayed and read the Bible and talked about how Jesus lived.
The second was just bowling a couple of times. I never saw any prayer or Bible and never heard anything about Jesus/God spoken of.
The last one was an elderly gentlemen who was an "elder" in the church. He actually bought this teenager his first alcoholic drink.
(it seems the parents were OK with this). ..and taught hima few very questionable jokes... after the boy went back home, I asked him
about these things and his response was... "this teaches him we are saved by grace, and not how we live". "Jesus doesn't love him any less".

At the time, I knew nothing about this church, but I attended it for about a year. There was much I disagreed with... so why did I go there?
Because of a woman I though I would want to marry. In fact she was the mentor who took a girl bowling. She was also the piano player/worship
leader in the church. She could come across very godly when she wanted to. After I found out more about her beliefs and the beliefs of the church,
I didn't go their anymore. Needless to say.. things didn't work out between us.

I know there are many Anglicans and Lutherans who read these forums that will likely be offended by this, but the fact is... we have to make
this decision for ourselves. Our parents can't make it for us.

Active
I know for a fact Lutheran ELCA churches do. Not sure about Missouri synod Lutheran.
In the church where I saw these things happen, they didn't "immerse" the baby. It was just a sprinkling.

I sat in on a few "mentoring" sessions. Once it was pretty good... They prayed and read the Bible and talked about how Jesus lived.
The second was just bowling a couple of times. I never saw any prayer or Bible and never heard anything about Jesus/God spoken of.
The last one was an elderly gentlemen who was an "elder" in the church. He actually bought this teenager his first alcoholic drink.
(it seems the parents were OK with this). ..and taught hima few very questionable jokes... after the boy went back home, I asked him
about these things and his response was... "this teaches him we are saved by grace, and not how we live". "Jesus doesn't love him any less".

At the time, I knew nothing about this church, but I attended it for about a year. There was much I disagreed with... so why did I go there?
Because of a woman I though I would want to marry. In fact she was the mentor who took a girl bowling. She was also the piano player/worship
leader in the church. She could come across very godly when she wanted to. After I found out more about her beliefs and the beliefs of the church,
I didn't go their anymore. Needless to say.. things didn't work out between us.

I know there are many Anglicans and Lutherans who read these forums that will likely be offended by this, but the fact is... we have to make
this decision for ourselves. Our parents can't make it for us.
Sorry to be nosy...were you engaged? Did you go to that church just for that lady? Did she go to yours?

I go to this presy church cos its local. I mean there is a mormon church up the road but I dont go to that one! God did call me to go and minister my gifts to the presy even though some of their doctrine isnt biblical. The baptists church is further away I was going to that one first. But even the bapists one have their issues.

I dont go to the anglican even though a lot of people I know go there, not to offend any anglicans but I cant handle when they use alcohol in their communion. Do they want me to pass out when they pass round their cup of port sherry? Lol

Im hoping theres a fellowship I can just walk to but still havent found one in my area. Its the suburbs, seems like it was made for cars. Youd think there would be one at the bible college up the road but God didnt want me going there. Weird huh?

To be a worship leader it seems all you have to do is be a good musician. You dont necessarily need to be following God. If you know how to play an instrument, many churches will just say come be on the worship band. They wont really check on your spiritual fruits.

I know cos this happened in the baptist church they got some new worship 'leaders' and one was even an opera singer..but they caused a big scandal in the church and broke two marriages. I wasnt there at the time but did see that the way they were 'leading' was not of God.

Coming back to topic...should churches be doing this. I mean calling it baptism when its not really.

The one I witnessed I hadnt even seen this couple attend our church before. You know how some people only go to church once in a blue moon. Yes I appreciate that married couples need help raising their children, but would that mean the child grows up already assuming they are saved would it cause any problems with their walk later if they go astray. I dont think I would remember at that age being 'baptised' unless my parents reminded me 'hey when you were 3 months old we baptised you so act like a christian'

Last edited by a moderator: