• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

Idol Factories

Staff Member
Do not turn to idols or make for yourselves any gods of cast metal: I am the LORD your God. Leviticus 19:4 ESV

John Calvin once wrote, “Man’s nature, so to speak, is a perpetual factory of idols.”

Let that sink in. If what he’s saying is true, then your heart manufactures idols continually. Modern-day idols include materialism, approval, money independence, status, work, success, sex, and even ministries. John Piper put it this way: “Idolatry starts in the heart: craving, wanting, enjoying, being satisfied by anything that you treasure more than God.”

This begs the question, as you search your heart today, is there anything you find more satisfaction in and desire more than God? If so, it’s an idol and that’s serious business. In Colossians 3:5-6 (ESV), Paul said, “Put to death therefore what is earthly in your sexual immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of these the wrath of God is coming.”

You’ll spend the rest of your life putting your idols to death. Don’t lose heart though. Just continue the fight, knowing that a day is coming when sin will no longer be an issue for you. In heaven, you’ll be given a glorified body that no longer produces idols.

Prayer: Lord, I confess to bowing down to idols. Empower me to put them out on a daily basis.