• Welcome to Talk Jesus Christian Forums

Celebrating 20 Years!

A bible based, Jesus Christ centered community.

Register Log In

I Reckon So

Staff Member
Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members [as] instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members [as] instruments of righteousness unto God. Romans 6:11-13 KJV

The word reckon sounds a bit old-fashioned today. If you’re a fan of Westerns, you may remember Clink Eastwood’s famous “I reckon so” in The Outlaw Josey Wales as he reflects on the toll of the Civil War.

To reckon something means to calculate something as fact. In today’s passage, we are told to “calculate” that we are dead to the power of sin and alive to God—simply because we are “in Christ.”

Once you reckon that fact in your heart, your behavior should follow. You won’t allow your fleshly desires to have their way but rather “yield yourselves to God.” The very members of your body—the eyes, the tongue, the stomach, the sexual organs—will no longer be available to sin but will be submitted to Christ and to bringing Him glory.

Reckoning the facts of your salvation will impact you from head to toe—and in your heart.

Prayer: Lord of my salvation, I praise You for saving me to the uttermost—body, soul, and spirit!